IGNORED

UK power supply for American Atari ??

svenski

:ponder:

This may sound like a really dumb question.

I have an NTSC 1200XL without power supply. Can I use a UK power supply (for example a UK PSU that would ship with an 800XL) or would I need to get an American PSU and then use a step down converter?

Failing that, does anyone know of an off the shelf power supply that would work?

Thanks for your help.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/

Worth a look

I did not spot anything that would suggest a UK power supply would upset the processor speed of a US machine.

You could rig up a monitor cable to scart/peritel socket and so use a modern TV for a monitor as a way round the pal/NTSC problem.

It DOES however point out that the powersupply for the 1200 is not the same as the xl/xe range

it suggests

9.3 V AC 15.44 VA (1,66 A) (Atari# not printed)/FW 6799

400,800,822,850,1010,1200XL

9 V AC 27 VA (3.0 A) Atari#CO60592-34 (UK)

400,800,822,850,1010,1200XL,810,1020,1050,XF551

so you would be looking for the power supply from a 1050 disk drive or 1010 cassette drive. As this powersupply uses a standard pole type power jack rather than a multi-pin power supply like an 800XL you should find one that matches from Maplins/Tandy (are Tandy still going here? Not seen one for yonks)

Hope that helps.

jon-paul,

Thanks for that. There are 2 Atari PSUs that would fit the bill. Thanks for clearing the clouds!

On the NTSC issues, I'm sure I remember Atari nuts running NTSC stuff quite happily, the only issue being compatibility with some UK only software.

However, having said that, I've got nagging doubts. I'm thinking black and white display, possibly no sound etc. Would this be right?

I doubt personally I'd be able to rig up a cable so I'll do some looking and see if I can source one.

most 1200's are american and so NTSC output.

The lines just don't sync with pal displays.

what your imagining is playing a secam output via pal (the difference is in the colour encoding, but nothing else).

The software front, pal systems played NTSC games fine, some Pal games however don't work well on NTSC systems (more lines in the display).

Do the 1200's have a monitor output at all? I see none listed in the FAQ, but there is none for the XEGS and that does have an RCA output. If its RCA jacks there is plenty of RCA to scart leads around.

They've got the usual Atari monitor and RF tv outputs.

I've got a psu somewhere that I'm hunting for now in lots of old boxes so I'll see what its like when I get it going.

I'll also do some digging to see if there are some cables anywhere, there would have been some 8-bit to scart cables made at some point by someone.