IGNORED

CorComp RS232 card killed my PEB! Help!

wyerd

I think Gazoo left his regulators on...?

Yes, connect the PC power supply +12v line to both the TI +16v and +8v lines, and the PC -12v line to the TI -16v line. If your PC power supply is ATX, connect pin 14 to one side of the on/off switch and the other side of the switch to ground. If your PC power supply is AT, just connect it's on/off switch connections to the peb switch.

And if you're going to go to all that trouble, just move the backplane and card cage to a PC case.

Gazoo

med_gallery_29515_833_240262.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. KL99 (thank you) linked a PDF which lists a load of TI stuff this guy is offloading, including a couple of PEB power units. So I've emailed him to see if he still has any left. Failing that, I'll then give the PC PSU serious thought, although I'm a bit nervous considering my previous cock-up(s)!

Looking at this AT PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338010&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817338010&gclid=CNjzub7OnMMCFQinaQodelwA-w&gclsrc=aw.ds

If the guy offloading his TI stuff doesn't come up trumps. Mounting the PSU looks like the only difficult task.

Edited by wyerd

Yes, connect the PC power supply +12v line to both the TI +16v and +8v lines, and the PC -12v line to the TI -16v line. If your PC power supply is ATX, connect pin 14 to one side of the on/off switch and the other side of the switch to ground. If your PC power supply is AT, just connect it's on/off switch connections to the peb switch.

And if you're going to go to all that trouble, just move the backplane and card cage to a PC case.

Gazoo

Thanks for the wiring info. I'm going to put the new PSU in the PEB as it's part of the whole TI experience. A PC case would look out of place - good idea though.

Yes, connect the PC power supply +12v line to both the TI +16v and +8v lines, and the PC -12v line to the TI -16v line.

The PSU from Newegg is an AT/LPX type with P8 and P9 connectors. So I'm looking at connecting up the following:-

PEB    Voltage   AT PSU   Voltage
Black  Ground    Black    Ground
Green   +8v      Yellow    +12v
Red     +16v     Yellow    +12v
Yellow  -16v     Blue      -12v

Is this correct?

Still waiting for the PSU I ordered Sunday evening to turn up. Apparently it's been on a tour of North America. So far it's been to IN, PA, CT, MA and NY as of this morning. ETA is Tuesday :-( I thought ordering from Newegg was quick delivery.

Edited by wyerd

I prefer this type myself, it's like what comes on the original P-Box.

m29cmpvfGwwT8Hj_1sDwbhA.jpg

If you blow it in the future, you'll not have to take the box apart. You'll need a good drill bit to put a hole in that metal though!

Hi Omega, do you know where I can get exactly these fuse-holders, or maybe have a hint about ?

I need to change some of them, they broke with opening... :)

thanks a lot

Ralf

Before getting into trouble changing to a PC power supply and modifying all your cards (and remembering the mod everytime you test another card/your cards in another box), you should test the rectifier diodes on the PEB power board.

When I got my first HDD, I upgraded the regulators to 2A types, but the diodes weren't up to the load. It took me 5 fuses to diagnose the problem. Now the box is working without problems since 1988.

Before getting into trouble changing to a PC power supply and modifying all your cards (and remembering the mod everytime you test another card/your cards in another box), you should test the rectifier diodes on the PEB power board.

When I got my first HDD, I upgraded the regulators to 2A types, but the diodes weren't up to the load. It took me 5 fuses to diagnose the problem. Now the box is working without problems since 1988.

I don't believe he's going to modify his cards, as there's no need to. He's just replacing the TI power supply with the PC power supply as suggested.

If you're going to open the box up to work on the power supply, might as well just replace it with something more efficient.

Gazoo

I don't believe he's going to modify his cards, as there's no need to. He's just replacing the TI power supply with the PC power supply as suggested.

If you're going to open the box up to work on the power supply, might as well just replace it with something more efficient.

Gazoo

That is correct. Thanks for replying to the post ;) Just waiting for the unit to finally turn up, hopefully before we get the 2 feet of forecasted snow otherwise I won't get it for days and I'm itching to get the PEB back up and running.

That is correct. Thanks for replying to the post ;) Just waiting for the unit to finally turn up, hopefully before we get the 2 feet of forecasted snow otherwise I won't get it for days and I'm itching to get the PEB back up and running.

It a perfect world, you would get the power supply, and then get snowed it, thus having an excuse to stay home and play! ;)

I'm really looking forward to the details and photos of your project. As our TI's age, this may be the solution many of us will be forced to take, besides it's always fun, interesting and exciting to see how others have done it.

When all is said and done, your "NIBPBOX" will be better than new.

• Like 1