IGNORED

Rumours of Colecovision II (2) with some MSX compatability !

bad robot

Well, we all have seen what happens when things aren't properly tested by those with the experience and knowledge to notice gameplay issues/bugs/glitches... yes, I'm talking about the CV Flashback by AtGames. BTW, I'm not pointing the finger at you because I know you went above and beyond the call trying to help AtGames.

You simply can't just plug-in a game and run through it quickly for 5 minutes and say all's good as I'm sure you know. The game has to be played through in it's entirety, all skill levels have to be tested (especially with Coleco made games since new game elements are implemented when playing the higher skill levels) and games that allow two or more players have to be tested with those selections as well. I've had my fun beta testing some of the Homebrews the last couple years and I was glad to help out in finding some serious bugs, but I couldn't begin to image a task as large as all the CV games ever made... especially more involved games like Fortune Builder, Dam Busters, Gateway to Apshai, Quest for the Golden Chalice, etc.

Considering I didn't get to playtest the thing, it would be rather silly to point the finger at me, yes. Unfortunately, I could only advise from afar. I was told that will change for the next iteration, but who knows?

I still think picking a representative sampling of games is sufficient to torture test a new implementation of a system, particularly if we're not talking software emulation.

Your starting to sound like HDTV1080P... but at least you didn't shout. :P

Honestly, I'm being spoiled by the pricey, but impressive XRGB-mini Framemeister. It doesn't do much with composite signals, but feeding that thing S-VIDEO or better and it's pretty darn incredible. I'm kind of down on VGA simply because there's no direct way of inputting it into the Framemeister without another converter, which defeats the purpose, plus it's one of those connectors that is increasingly being left off new displays. With that said, I don't yet have a MIST, so I don't know how it would work with my VGA to HDMI converter (maybe fantastically, who knows?).

And what about all of the CV games that never had an ending and had repetitive infinite gameplay? Whose to say it works great for the first 5 or 10 repeats but then suddenly freezes because of a bug when the score cume hits 999, 999 or something like that? There are some bugs that only rear their ugly heads later on down the line and require updates to squash. Pity AtGames didn't think of a way to provide "firmware" fixes to flash the units but then from what Bill has said, they just wanted to make a quick buck and turn a profit and probably didn't want to invest a lot of money in testing/QC and programming and fixes. That just gives them an excuse to address them in the FB2 and so on... forced upgrades.

I really don't see the allure of MSX2, given that pretty much everything is available, at least in rom form, on Famicom/NES. Famicom/NES is superior in nearly every way (hardware) to MSX2 as well. Then again, it's likely most of the MSX library also found its way onto better systems (NES or SMS).

I believe the allure of a CV2 motherboard replacement was that it could deliver RGB, and operate with a standard AC adapter, etc. Solve many of the CV's annoying hardware faults. If it's cheap/easy enough, add in MSX support. But then it ceases to be a Colecovision, and for that matter is just a clone system.

I do. I LOVE Compile shmups, and there were a least several of them that were MSX-only. Plus, living in the United States, the cheapest MSX 2 model that I've been able to find is one for $500.00 on Ebay. It comes with some games, but still; that's getting into Neo Geo AES pricing territory.

And I would love to see another Colecovision Flashback; look at how many Atari 2600 Flashback consoles there have been. As long as the developers can get some games on it that weren't on the first one, I'm already on board.

I do. I LOVE Compile shmups, and there were a least several of them that were MSX-only. Plus, living in the United States, the cheapest MSX 2 model that I've been able to find is one for $500.00 on Ebay. It comes with some games, but still; that's getting into Neo Geo AES pricing territory.

First of all, MSX2 is way above the hardware capabilities of the CV. That's NES territory. Secondly, maybe I'm a stickler but if you build in MSX compatibility then it ceases to become a Colecovision. This is not like emulating NES on the Everdrive 64, converting atari 8-bit games to 5200, or playing SG-1000 on a SMS Master Everdrive. You're taking a non-Coleco console and mixing it into a Colecovision. To me that's a Frankenstein that shouldn't be.

For MSX fans, the 1-chip-MSX was great, but it wasn't officially exported from Japan and they stopped making them way too soon. A clone of that system is what I think is needed much more, that way you get the full MSX/MSX2 experience.

First of all, MSX2 is way above the hardware capabilities of the CV. That's NES territory. Secondly, maybe I'm a stickler but if you build in MSX compatibility then it ceases to become a Colecovision. This is not like emulating NES on the Everdrive 64, converting atari 8-bit games to 5200, or playing SG-1000 on a SMS Master Everdrive. You're taking a non-Coleco console and mixing it into a Colecovision. To me that's a Frankenstein that shouldn't be.

For MSX fans, the 1-chip-MSX was great, but it wasn't officially exported from Japan and they stopped making them way too soon. A clone of that system is what I think is needed much more, that way you get the full MSX/MSX2 experience.

OK, I gotcha. Good points. Yeah, I would love to see any MSX clone at this point, given the prices of MSX hardware. Off-topic, do you have to have an MSX 2 to play most MSX games? (Cartridge games, that is.) Because I just checked Ebay, and the prices for an MSX from Japan are a LOT lower then they are for an MSX 2.

Edited by newataridave

The MiST does MSX now. Of course, you don't have the cart slots but it sure is nice. :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I gotcha. Good points. Yeah, I would love to see any MSX clone at this point, given the prices of MSX hardware. Off-topic, do you have to have an MSX 2 to play most MSX games? (Cartridge games, that is.) Because I just checked Ebay, and the prices for an MSX from Japan are a LOT lower then they are for an MSX 2.

Nope you only need an MSX 1 to play the majority of the MSX games released. MSX 2 and MSX 2+ games only account for about 20% of the games released. Granted they are Master System+ level type of games though, so well worth experiencing, but it is not a cheap way to go.

The best place to get a MSX machine (MSX 1 or 2) is from the Netherlands, but for non 220/240v users you will need get a voltage converter and of course the output is at 50Hz so you need a screen capable of displaying that.

Nope you only need an MSX 1 to play the majority of the MSX games released. MSX 2 and MSX 2+ games only account for about 20% of the games released. Granted they are Master System+ level type of games though, so well worth experiencing, but it is not a cheap way to go.

The best place to get a MSX machine (MSX 1 or 2) is from the Netherlands, but for non 220/240v users you will need get a voltage converter and of course the output is at 50Hz so you need a screen capable of displaying that.

Thank you for all that advice! I wonder how many Compile games require an MSX 2? I did search for "MSX" and "Zanac" on Ebay, and found a copy for $600.00USD! That's WAY more then I'm willing to pay for any video game. I could purchase at least one arcade cabinet for that amount of money.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fail is a strong word. ;)

I had a board working well about 4-5 years ago (with no cartridge slot). I converted it to an SG-1000 (without controller support, though), because that was something I was interested in at the time.

A year later, I made a 2nd board that had two options for video RAM (dynamic and static).

A year or so ago, I built a 3rd prototype. This one failed, as I was unable to get it to work well - it kept resetting, with no known cause so far.

In a few days or so I'll have a 4th prototype PCB in my hands, which is scaled back a lot from the 3rd. Hopefully it will work well, and then I'll slowly expand it to where I want it to end up. It will not, however, end up being a CV2. It will still be in the "1" range.

Is there any progress on this project.. ??

Is there any progress on this project.. ??

The info is here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/216282-colecovision-12-replacement-pcb-added-features/

I need to make another batch of prototype PCBs, and the next revision of the CV 1.2 will be one of the items in that batch. I'm hoping to work on the PCB December/January.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone building an up to date ColecoVision system ?? i.e. is there a CV 2 in the pipeline ?

There are now at least three active threads going on right now involving some combination of ColecoVision, ColecoVision II, ColecoVision+/SGM replacements of some type. It's looking good for SOMETHING to come of all of this really soon.

• 1 month later...