IGNORED

St's Gauntlet

What's up with this game, from what I can see Mindscape didn't do any optimizing and just put it out the door as is! :(

The interview with the original programmers is posted in the forum somewhere. They accurately re-created the arcade game; Atari Games/Tengen didn't provide them any source code. The game was coded to run on a 520ST with 512K; they wanted to do a 1MB enhanced version but that apparently never happened.

There's videos on YouTube of the game running much smoother on an ST with a 16Mhz 68000. Just remember that the arcade original had a 68010, a TI Speech Synthesis chip, a POKEY, a YM2151, and a 6502 to manage all of that audio. It's amazing the ST version is as good as it is. Outside of Tengen's port to the Sega Genesis, it's the best version out there; and we should remember the Genesis version had a lot of original source code used plus the Genesis's YM chip is closer to the arcade's YM2151 than the ST's weaker YM2149 chip.

CyranoJ has ST Gauntlet II running on the Jaguar and supporting 4 JagPads via the Team Tap. Food for thought.

• Like 2

Has Gauntlet II been patched to run from a Hard Drive?

Yes, It is listed on the Dbug site under PATCHES. http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/

I think it is in a MSA disk image. If you write the image you can copy the files to your hdd / SD device.

You can also use any of the various image handling programs on the ST to extract the files.

There are also tools on the pc to extract files from MSA images.

• Like 1

I think it is in a MSA disk image. If you write the image you can copy the files to your hdd / SD device.

You can also use any of the various image handling programs on the ST to extract the files.

D-Bug 197. That could be a Jaguar menu :P

• Like 1

Yeah but does Deeper Dungeons add extra levels that were present in the arcade version or are they just supplemental material? I thought the arcade flipped/inverted the same levels after Level 100, or 500...

Yeah but does Deeper Dungeons add extra levels that were present in the arcade version or are they just supplemental material? I thought the arcade flipped/inverted the same levels after Level 100, or 500...

It's 500 new level's I guess you can call it "Gauntlet 1 1/2" :-D

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-gauntlet-deeper-dungeons_5997.html

• 2 months later...

That's an absolutely ace site isn't it. And this thread has just decided how my afternoon will play out too!! :D

Gauntlet was cool, if badly done (hmm I wonder now about cranking up the cpu speed in Hatari?).

But Gauntlet 2 is just the thing, what a classic Atari ST game it is. One of my favourite ST games ever.

Thanks!

Steve

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Outside of Tengen's port to the Sega Genesis, it's the best version out there; and we should remember the Genesis version had a lot of original source code used plus the Genesis's YM chip is closer to the arcade's YM2151 than the ST's weaker YM2149 chip.

Always enjoyed the Amiga versions as well. Not sure what\s under the hood, but it seems very close to the originals to me.