IGNORED

St's Gauntlet

Cool. Can you create an image of the expansion?

I've never made an image of one of my ST games before. I've only downloaded ST software from my PC to 3.5" floppy to use on my ST, but not the other way around. Point me in the direction of the software I would need and I can look into it.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

I've never made an image of one of my ST games before. I've only downloaded ST software from my PC to 3.5" floppy to use on my ST, but not the other way around. Point me in the direction of the software I would need and I can look into it.

You can use Floimg to image a floppy as well as create a floppy from an image, Thanks!

http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php

You can also do an image on your Atari computer using Magic Shadow Archiver. It should allow you to create an MSA file on another floppy disk which was formatted on a PC computer. You should then be able to get the MSA on your PC and open it in an emulator to test it works. Here is a link to the MSA tool: https://sites.google.com/site/stessential/disks-tools/msa

If you get a working MSA then I would be interested in a copy of it.

Of course, if the disk has any form or fancy protections on it then creating an MSA image of the disk may not work. You may also need to look at creating an STX Pasti image of the disk using the Pasti toolkit from here: http://pasti.fxatari.com/

The trick is to store the MSA or STX image file on a IBM formatted floppy disk which can then be read on a PC and opened in emulators or shared with others. If the STX image turns out to be larger than 720kb though it will not fit on a floppy disk.

To load an STX disk image in an emulator your will the pasti.dll in the same folder as the emulator executable file.

If you have a working copy of Arcade Force Four then Atarimania.com would be interested in getting the STX images as they don't have them at the moment. I can upload to their FTP if you get working STX or MSA copies of the disks.

Edited by kodak80

• 2 weeks later...

Thought the original commercial versions were interchangeable between the ST and the Amiga.

I could see that. The version i made was simply ground to various data pins. Anyone could pin this out themselves by shorting ground to data 1...n and seeing how the character reacts on screen.

I remember trying a modern version of an Amiga parallel port joystick adapter with Gauntlet 2 on the ST and it did not work correctly. I'm not sure the adapters are really interchangable through the systems?

Why wouldn't it work? Doesn't the Amiga handle joysticks the same was as the ST? Kinda like the C64 and Atari 8-bits. Then again, an Amiga fan was telling me last month it could support 2-fire button joysticks standard but for some reason, game programmers didn't support it.

This is for players 3 and 4. It's a parallel port to 2x DB9 joystick adapter. Completely dumb device, no logic at all, just direct connects.

Why wouldn't it work? Doesn't the Amiga handle joysticks the same was as the ST? Kinda like the C64 and Atari 8-bits. Then again, an Amiga fan was telling me last month it could support 2-fire button joysticks standard but for some reason, game programmers didn't support it.

Shoulda done this first, Protos has published the pinout in another thread::

DIY

CONNESSIONE DEI PIN PER ADATTATORE 4 JOYSTICK
---------------------------------------------
PIN CORRISPONDENCE FOR THE 4-JOY ADAPTER

Porta Stampante Joystick 3
Printer Port
--------------- ----------
1 6
2 1
3 2
4 3
5 4
25 8

Porta Stampante Joystick 4
Printer Port
--------------- ----------
6 1
7 2
8 3
9 4
11 6
26 8

Queste sono le connessioni del connettore che ho: funzionano con le mie copie
di Leathernecks e Gauntlet II. Non ho invece provato con con gli originali in
quanto non li posseggo :-)
Se scoprite un aggiornamento di queste connessioni comunicatelo in area ATARI
nazionale per far si' di aggiornare anche questo file.

These are the wirings of the adapter I've bought. The adapter works with
Leathernecks e Gauntlet II. I haven't tried with the originals but...
If you find a different (maybe better working) wiring please mail me.

/quote

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/140172-gauntlet-ii-4-player-game/

http://aminet.net/search.php?query=4+player+adapter

Edited by Joe Stella

This is for players 3 and 4. It's a parallel port to 2x DB9 joystick adapter. Completely dumb device, no logic at all, just direct connects.

Yes this is direct wiring - and the adapter wiring on the Amiga might be different than on the ST. I am sure that it did not work, we wanted to have a 4 player match on one of our retogaming meetings. It did not work, same with Leatherneck IIRC.

Right, which is the same thing that was marketed to ST owners for games such as Gauntlet II and Leatherneck before it.

Not supporting the second button and not checking for additional disk drives. Those two are my main pet peeves. Even some of the bigger studios managed to fail miserably at doing those two simple things.

Kind of like unskippable content in modern games...

• Like 1

Nope. Just that you can vouch that making such an adapter isn't too difficult and like with the "Amiga" version, it's simply a Parallel cable to 2 DB-9s. :)

Yep. It's just a parallel cable and 2 DB-9s. There is one typo in the pinouts listed in a message #42. There is no pin 26 since the parallel port only has 25 pins. Pin 26 is the ground pin so it should be connected to any of the multiple ground pins. I think I connected mine to pin 24 on my adapter, but I can't verify since I don't have it with me right now.