IGNORED

Another very early WIP

PacManPlus

Hi Guys,

I don't have much here, just the terrain moving, the player's ship, the game logo and a stationary enemy.

The first thing I wanted to get out of the way was the scrolling of the terrain.

320B mode is used for the top of the screen, and 160A is used for the main playfield.

Again, this is very early, and I'm still not 100% sure I will be able to finish it.

Thanks, guys :)

Bob

NOTE - If you are using ProSystem, the graphics might show up corrupt. This is an issue with ProSystem. Just keep hitting Ctrl-R to reset until the screen shows correctly.

WIP.A78

WIP.bin

• Like 15

neat. Odd how Defender skipped 7800 when it was on pretty much everything else, even Intellivision and Colecovision.

I would have thought with the control missing a hyperspace option with only two buttons there was a reason they skipped it. Curious to see how that's addressed.

Edited by jetset

I would have thought with the control missing a hyperspace option with only two buttons there was a reason they skipped it. Curious to see how that's addressed.

Push the second button quickly for one special ability and hold it down longer for the other special ability.

[The first button would only be for shooting. The second button could handle all of the special abilities, even in the sequel game with a third special ability. You'd have a quick click for one special ability, a longer press for the second special ability, and a double-click for the third special ability.]

Would a Genesis controller option be possible? Would three button support be available on that controller?

Maybe it's because I'm not good at Defender, but I personally wouldn't care if there is no hyperspace. If one button fires and the other button drops smart bombs, I'm good. I seriously wouldn't even care if the hyperspace button was put on the pause button on the console.

It's been a while, isn't the hyperspace button on the arcade machine down in the bottom center of the control panel, 500 miles away from anywhere your hands would be while playing?

Here's the Arcade control panel:

post-18-0-59526000-1422031017_thumb.png

We have five in-game buttons. Two of the buttons (Reverse and Thrust) are handled by the joystick. Fire would obviously be handled by one of the two joystick buttons.

We're sort of putting the cart before the horse here; however, if/when Bob develops the game further along, for it to work with a standard 7800 controller, hyperspace or smart bomb can be handled as Random Terrain suggested.

Additionally though, perhaps as a menu option or difficulty switch setting, Fire, Smart Bomb, and Hyperspace functionality can be configured.

For example:

Left Difficulty Switch - Toggles whether Fire is Button 1 or Button 2.

A = Fire = Button 1 / Smart Bomb & Hyperspace Button 2.

B = Fire = Button 2 / Smart Bomb & Hyperspace Button 1.

Right Difficulty Switch - Toggles how Smart Bomb and Hyperspace are handled.

A = Smart Bomb = Quick press / Hyperspace = Hold press.

B = Hyperspace = Quick press / Smart Bomb = Hold press.

My personal opinion is menu options are probably best, as there's need to recall (or set) switch positioning.

As CPUWIZ mentioned, utilizing the plethora of available options via his PS2 adapter would be sweet as well. :)

Would a Genesis controller option be possible? Would three button support be available on that controller?

Support for a Genesis 3-button controller would call for another adapter (redesign). The currently available product in harmony with the schematics out there, configures it so two buttons are utilized. Usually, the A button, as well as Start, do not function as a valid input for the 7800.

A stock Genesis controller behaves like a one-button (2600) joystick when connected to the 7800.

• Like 1

Support for a Genesis 3-button controller would call for another adapter (redesign). The currently available product and schematics out there fix it so two buttons are utilized. Usually, the A button, as well as Start, do not function as a valid input for the 7800.

A stock Genesis controller behaves like a one-button (2600) joystick.

I was thinking about how several 2600 homebrews and hacks use two buttons on a Genesis controller, even when played on the 7800. I know as a default the Genesis pad doesn't work as a two button 7800 controller. I saw someone state once in the 2600 hacks forum that the third button on a Genesis controller could be used on the 2600, but no one had coded anything to use it yet. So, I guess I was meaning the Genesis controller would be treated like a 2600 controller to play a 7800 game with multiple buttons. Make any sense? No? Yeah, it does sound terribly convoluted when I actually type it out.

Of the other options, as a player I like Random Terrain's option of varied button presses more than the idea of pressing both buttons together. The both buttons together method frequently results in doing an undesired function, so it would probably waste precious smart bombs in this case.

Yes, I know it's early. I'm just excited that Rob might do Defender. I'm just chatting and thinking out loud, no worries.

The both buttons together method frequently results in doing an undesired function, so it would probably waste precious smart bombs in this case.

Agreed (Looks like you caught my post before I updated it, after reflecting on the same possible/accidental end result ;) ).

I was thinking about how several 2600 homebrews and hacks use two buttons on a Genesis controller, even when played on the 7800. I know as a default the Genesis pad doesn't work as a two button 7800 controller. I saw someone state once in the 2600 hacks forum that the third button on a Genesis controller could be used on the 2600, but no one had coded anything to use it yet. So, I guess I was meaning the Genesis controller would be treated like a 2600 controller to play a 7800 game with multiple buttons. Make any sense? No? Yeah, it does sound terribly convoluted when I actually type it out.

Seeing the post here, it looks like the 2-button support is coming from B and C for the 2600. A stock Genesis controller maps B (One button) only under the 7800, with an adapter B and C are utilized under the console. I'm not seeing how A (or Start) can possibly be utilized without hardware modification, but someone else (like RevEng :D ) can provide better insight of the option(s) if there is a way to do so.

Yes, I know it's early. I'm just excited that Rob might do Defender. I'm just chatting and thinking out loud, no worries.

I'm just as bad, if not worse. Sorry, if you felt the comment was directed at you. It was more me trying to tell myself that, before the rest of the post. I think it's an unavoidable reaction once seeing Bob throw something up; you just know the potential for an outstanding game is tremendous. :)