Photo

New homebrew boxes

16 replies to this topic

#1 goldenrod OFFLINE  

goldenrod

Space Invader

• 23 posts

Posted Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:30 AM

Is there a template(s) for the Colecovision boxes?  I'd like to create some boxes for some of my homebrew games and would prefer not to start from scratch, if there is a template available.  I don't want to step on any toes, in term of copyrights or "feelings."  I love the 3 basic versions of the boxes that Collectorvision creates and I'd like to make some designs for the loose carts in my personal collection.

#2 ten-four OFFLINE  

ten-four

Dragonstomper

• 890 posts
  • Here i am... again!

Posted Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:03 PM

Try to contact Vincent at: Coleco Box Art, maybe he can be able to help you.

;-)

#3 offbase OFFLINE  

offbase

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:19 PM

Q*bert.jpg Centipede.jpg Frogger.jpg Popeye.jpg Defender.jpg

I'm actually interested in doing something similar, although I'm working on creating Coleco 1 "Coin Op" version boxes for some of the 3rd party titles that went a different route with their box art. Was curious if there would be any interest from other collectors if I did a larger print / production run, as well as if it would be a legal / licensing issue to create these. I would have to charge for these, but would literally just be a pass through for the printing and shipping (no profit). I've attached a few samples, but right now am looking at the following arcade boxes: 

Root Beer Tapper

Burgertime

Popeye

Frogger

Centipede

Defender

Congo Bongo

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Thanks!

#4 Tron Unit OFFLINE  

Tron Unit

Moonsweeper

• 393 posts
  • Buying back my childhood bit by bit.

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:52 PM

I love the the U.S. coin-up boxes and have always preferred them to the CBS versions.  Those look really great.  They look just like the official Coleco boxes.  Well done!

#5 offbase OFFLINE  

offbase

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:25 PM

FrogBack.jpg CentBack.jpg

I love the the U.S. coin-up boxes and have always preferred them to the CBS versions.  Those look really great.  They look just like the official Coleco boxes.  Well done!

Thanks! Definitely trying to adhere to the exact designs of the originals. Throwing up some sample backs as well.

Lemme' know if there's interest from anyone. I'm getting quotes for printing / production now, so will have an idea of costs in the next few days.

:)

#6 HkryCrkStudio OFFLINE  

HkryCrkStudio

Chopper Commander

• 233 posts

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:54 PM

I love these and would be interested in a set!  The arcade boxes have always been my favourite design.  Fine job on these they look real nice :)

#7 Darrin9999 OFFLINE  

Darrin9999

River Patroller

• 2,912 posts

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:28 PM

I`m interested. Very nice!

#8 AtariBuff OFFLINE  

AtariBuff

Stargunner

• 1,172 posts

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:14 AM

I'm interested, offbase.

#9 offbase OFFLINE  

offbase

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:21 AM

Awesome to hear. I'll ping the thread back when I have an idea of the printing costs.  

#10 youki OFFLINE  

youki

River Patroller

• 2,255 posts

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:56 AM

Nice work, but i have to admit i have never liked this kind of boxes.  I love so much CBS Style.   For me the us style is kind of "lazy low cost" design. Like if colecovision said " I make no effort to create a nice artwork, just put a picture of an arcade cabinet. It is faster, cheaper so better for business."   I hate that .:)

Just a matter of taste anyway!.   I guess if i had this kind of boxes in my childhood i'd love them now. But i grew up with CBS Style :)

Anyway very nice work they looks perfect.

#11 HkryCrkStudio OFFLINE  

HkryCrkStudio

Chopper Commander

• 233 posts

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:19 AM

Nice work, but i have to admit i have never liked this kind of boxes.  I love so much CBS Style.   For me the us style is kind of "lazy low cost" design. Like if colecovision said " I make no effort to create a nice artwork, just put a picture of an arcade cabinet. It is faster, cheaper so better for business."   I hate that . :)

Just a matter of taste anyway!.   I guess if i had this kind of boxes in my childhood i'd love them now. But i grew up with CBS Style :)

Anyway very nice work they looks perfect.

I like the CBS boxes too and have started collecting some of them.  But I grew up with the arcade boxes and they still give me that warm fuzzy feeling.  Funny how you get attached to the familiar eh?

The only box type I can't stand the sight of is the Taiwan Cooper.

Edited by HkryCrkStudio, Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:23 AM.

#12 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,627 posts

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:39 AM

Great, more homebrew boxes for my trading card project... ;)

#13 goldenrod OFFLINE  

goldenrod

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:58 PM

I think these boxes are gorgeous!  My problem is... do I buy another set of games to put in these boxes?  I want them all!

What are your plans for the inside of the box?  I've noticed some people have used foam, some just made empty boxes and some created tabs to hold the games, like the originals.

#14 phattyboombatty ONLINE  

phattyboombatty

Stargunner

• 1,099 posts

Posted Tue Feb 3, 2015 3:22 PM

What are your plans for the inside of the box?  I've noticed some people have used foam, some just made empty boxes and some created tabs to hold the games, like the originals.

I make inserts. They are sturdy and reliable, and are similar to the ones that Atari used in their game cartridge boxes. I use a die cutter. They slide right into the exact size box designed for Colecovision games. I also make exact clones of Parker Brothers clamshell inserts.

#15 NIAD ONLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,763 posts

Posted Tue Feb 3, 2015 5:34 PM

I make inserts. They are sturdy and reliable, and are similar to the ones that Atari used in their game cartridge boxes. I use a die cutter. They slide right into the exact size box designed for Colecovision games. I also make exact clones of Parker Brothers clamshell inserts.

Thanks for letting us know about these box inserts. I have to look over my collection and put an order together!

#16 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• 1,654 posts

Posted Sun Mar 8, 2015 8:41 PM

attachicon.gifFrogBack.jpgattachicon.gifCentBack.jpg

Thanks! Definitely trying to adhere to the exact designs of the originals. Throwing up some sample backs as well.

Lemme' know if there's interest from anyone. I'm getting quotes for printing / production now, so will have an idea of costs in the next few days.

:)

Very interested!  Thank you for your hard work.

#17 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• 10,381 posts

Posted Sun Mar 8, 2015 8:44 PM

1938?  Wow.... that's an old game!   ;-)

Attached Thumbnails

• WOW.JPG

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users