IGNORED

Need web design program for the video game variation site

Philflound

I've been wanting to come back and work more on the 2600 variations site, which is still up for all to see. I had worked on it with Front Page. Though many people don't like it and it's obsolete, when my hard drive fried, I couldn't find my 2000 Office, so I haven't had a web design program to continue working on it. I need to fix a couple of items, and want to start back up to try and finish more stuff. Can anyone suggest a free web design program that is relatively user friendly and I can import the Front Page site that will be compatible? Thanks.

Phil

I started looking through Ebay and Amazon to see if I could get Microsoft Office 2000 at a reasonable price. Not sure if that will happen. But then there was a suggestion on Amazon about something called Microsoft Expression. I see there is a Web 4, but was looking more at the Web 3 since my computer is a little older anyway and the Web 3 is probably more compatible with what I have. Anyway, a couple of questions.

1.) Is the Web 3 the actually program for web page designs, and I see something called an upgrade. To me upgrade means you already own the original and an upgrade has additional features. So if I buy the regular license for Web 3, can I create pages?

2.) Since this is MS, would I be able to import my Front Page pages and modify and publish them as Web 3?

I really would like to get going on the site again and can't afford to throw away money on products I can't use. I'm sure some collectors on here want to see the site advance again with more scans and info. Thanks for your help.

Phil

IIRC Frontpage doesnt do anything super fancy - it just creates the HTML pages so not sure what you need to 'import' - your site directory is all that needs to be brought in.

Google Web design tools - Im sure you'll find something free but prob not as easy as Frontpage was.

I looked at Google and it didn't have any option I could see to import the files.

Phil

Are they special weird files or just htm or html pages? If they are htm or html pages, you can use any web editing software that you like.

The web editor should be able to download all of the pages from the web site onto your computer if the web editor doesn't suck.

A couple of years ago, I tried all of the free ones that I could find and none had the split screen that I like where you see the code and a WYSIWYG view at the same time. Maybe that has changed. If you don't care about having a split screen view, just find a free web editor that you like and use it.

I was using Namo WebEditor for years until they went to crap, then switched to Dreamweaver in 2012 (both have a spit screen view and both are not free).