IGNORED

Anyone interested in a Homebrew Ti 99/4A & TMS9900 hardware club?

Megatron1999

There was talk about setting up a hardware sub-forum on this site. Not sure if that idea is still going ahead or if it morphed into something else. Can be difficult to separate the hardware chat from the software chat though, as one always needs the other.

The proposal still on the table is to change the Programming sub-forum into a general hardware and software development forum.

It would be a forum for people more into designing and building stuff than software.. but firmware and software topics would be relevant to hardware. The Ti-99/4A and the TMS9900 CPU in general is quite neglect on the hardware site in my opinion. There are some good sites that have breadboard stuff and the like, but I think it's time for a serious hardware forum to really stimulate an interest in New hardware design. I know there's a lot of smart people in the Ti-99/4A community so it is possible !

Just rename the programming forum to development and we're done.

I agree, one split was enough, idle chit-chat moved out. -- Now the programming section is packed with just good solid development threads.

Even tho I think more hardware is good, we also need more software, and like others I agree they really go hand-in-hand together, there is no point building fancy hardware (its happen before in the past) with anyone producing any software.

And alot of hardware to needs to be designed needs alot of software support, in ways of DSR, or at least input from software people on what they want to see.

The topics need to be together, and 'Development' name I think fits that perfect.

• Like 1

Just introduce a 'Homebrew Hardware' section where you can put links and stuff to your own project website ? This would be pretty simple and effective .

IMO, "homebrew" makes it a little too specific. Not that we see a lot of commercial development. I am on-board with the idea of having the general TI-99/4A forum, and a TI-99/4A Development sub-forum the latter which would house any hardware and software development threads, hobbyist, homebrew, open-source, closed-source, commercial, or whatever.

• Like 1

IMO, "homebrew" makes it a little too specific. Not that we see a lot of commercial development. I am on-board with the idea of having the general TI-99/4A forum, and a TI-99/4A Development sub-forum the latter which would house any hardware and software development threads, hobbyist, homebrew, open-source, closed-source, commercial, or whatever.

As long as we are commenting about the recent split of the forum, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I don't see the point. Everything was in one place and it wasn't too hard to follow. You could look at what you wanted to. Now we have to go to 2 places to see what's going on. It makes things more difficult, and may cost us some members. :( It's more work to follow our hobby, not a preferable thing IMHO.

Gazoo

• Like 2

I don't see the point. Everything was in one place and it wasn't too hard to follow. You could look at what you wanted to. Now we have to go to 2 places to see what's going on. It makes things more difficult, and may cost us some members. :( It's more work to follow our hobby, not a preferable thing IMHO.

I can see that, which is why I asked about how to combine the to in my own personal view. My comment was toward the already-made split and the assumption it would remain.

There's already a pinned sticky for development stuff that more hardware links could be added to. It's already got links to hardware manuals in. But that's in *other* forum. Can't we just combine it all back again? Please? It wasn't difficult to read what you wanted and ignore the rest.

• Like 1

Simple answer: I have absolutely no desire to set one up and maintain it. Why is that? I have no time for it. I use my hobby time to create things for my own enjoyment and I make enough of them to supply the community because I can afford the basic time and investment to do so. My family would rebel if I then added more time to that mix to keep a website up. I have web space as part of my network connectivity package--but I don't use it now and have no current plans to do so in the future.

At some point I may also take pictures of all of the TI hardware I have to document the many rare and hard-to-find items in my TI (and TMS99XXX-based) computer collection--but that is a task that will remain on the back burner until I run out of interesting hardware projects to work on, probably many years down the road. . .although I have taken the time to document specific items when needed.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Even tho I think more hardware is good, we also need more software, and like others I agree they really go hand-in-hand together, there is no point building fancy hardware (its happen before in the past) with anyone producing any software.

And alot of hardware to needs to be designed needs alot of software support, in ways of DSR, or at least input from software people on what they want to see.

I can sympathize with that... I still have a bare USB card that I have not bothered building for lack of a DSR... :?