IGNORED

HDMI for the TI

Omega-TI

Pardon the intrusion... in my collecting quest I only just recently added a nice boxed TI99 to my collection. It wasn't high on my priority list as I never personally had one when younger, however my cousin had one and I've used it when visiting. I've purchased the flash cart, and Im about ready to set everything up. (Not before taking everything apart and giving it a good cleaning)

I've stumbled upon this post and I'm intrigued.

My TI is bare bones... what all do I need to get this picture quality? I'm not familiar with the f18a you're speaking of and a quick google search revealed a horde of jets!

• Like 1

Pardon the intrusion... in my collecting quest I only just recently added a nice boxed TI99 to my collection. It wasn't high on my priority list as I never personally had one when younger, however my cousin had one and I've used it when visiting. I've purchased the flash cart, and Im about ready to set everything up. (Not before taking everything apart and giving it a good cleaning)

I've stumbled upon this post and I'm intrigued.

My TI is bare bones... what all do I need to get this picture quality? I'm not familiar with the f18a you're speaking of and a quick google search revealed a horde of jets!

http://codehackcreate.com/store

...lee

Thank you! I'll most likely purchase 3. 1 for my TI, 1 for ColecoVision Game Console and one for my Tomy Tutor. Though it doesn't specify whether its compatible with the North American or Japan model. (I have both)

The deciding factor will be if I require Sockets for all 3 consoles.... Do you have a recommendation?

Thank you! I'll most likely purchase 3. 1 for my TI, 1 for ColecoVision Game Console and one for my Tomy Tutor. Though it doesn't specify whether its compatible with the North American or Japan model. (I have both)

The deciding factor will be if I require Sockets for all 3 consoles.... Do you have a recommendation?

The TI only requires removing the 9918A from its socket and installing the F18A in its place. Of course, you will need to route the VGA cable out of the console by either mounting the connector to the console shell (I cut a hole to fit) or feeding it outside.

...lee

It should work fine with all four varieties of the Tomy Tutor (Tutor, Pyuuta, Pyuuta Jr., and Pyuuta MkII). I have put one in a Tutor, and I believe Cameron Kaiser has put one in a PyuutaJr. I have all four types in my collection, along with a complete set of the Japanese cartridges (all except Rescue Copter are with boxes).

Edited by Ksarul

UPDATE:

This >>THING<<

Does not in fact appear to be working at all. It doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't appear to pass RCA video to VGA display or pass VGA to RCA video.

And the more I look at it, the more it appears to be a scam product. How do you push audio through vga? It didn't even occur to me that left and right audio were connected to this VGA adaptor regardless of which direction the signals travel, this is just strange.

Unless the application for such an adaptor is not what I think it is.

I could imagine usings 2 of these adaptors (one on each end of a vga cable) to pass a/v & s-video between a/v and s-video devices. But in reality never have anything to do with an actual VGA device at all.

*shrugs* - anyone else have any ideas?

EDIT: And with a hidden *more* link (probably not hidden, just my eyes).

I get my answer.

Standard Sub-D VGA Input.VGA to S-Video Cable will work with laptops and desktops with VGA cards that has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector.VGA connector on one end and both RCA jack Video (TV) out and S-Video out connectors on the other end.Connector: D-Sub high density 15 pin male to S-Video mini din 4 pin female and RCA jack.Note: Before place the bid, please be sure to check the manual of your system to make sure the Video Card of your system supports TV (RCA/S-Video) output through VGA port. Not every Video card will work with this VGA to S-Video Converter. Only certain Video cards which have TV Output function built into VGA port will work through this adaptor.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

UPDATE:

This >>THING<<

Does not in fact appear to be working at all. It doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't appear to pass RCA video to VGA display or pass VGA to RCA video.

And the more I look at it, the more it appears to be a scam product. How do you push audio through vga? It didn't even occur to me that left and right audio were connected to this VGA adaptor regardless of which direction the signals travel, this is just strange.

Unless the application for such an adaptor is not what I think it is.

I could imagine usings 2 of these adaptors (one on each end of a vga cable) to pass a/v & s-video between a/v and s-video devices. But in reality never have anything to do with an actual VGA device at all.

*shrugs* - anyone else have any ideas?

EDIT: And with a hidden *more* link (probably not hidden, just my eyes).

I get my answer.

Standard Sub-D VGA Input.VGA to S-Video Cable will work with laptops and desktops with VGA cards that has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector.VGA connector on one end and both RCA jack Video (TV) out and S-Video out connectors on the other end.Connector: D-Sub high density 15 pin male to S-Video mini din 4 pin female and RCA jack.Note: Before place the bid, please be sure to check the manual of your system to make sure the Video Card of your system supports TV (RCA/S-Video) output through VGA port. Not every Video card will work with this VGA to S-Video Converter. Only certain Video cards which have TV Output function built into VGA port will work through this adaptor.

Those require a special output. The VGA device must recognize the cable and provide the proper signals for the cable to break-out. It is not well-known or advertised. If the information you received in the response was not front-and-center or easily observable in the sale advertisement you should challenge for your money back.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Included in the .ZIP attached are four different HDMI variants I've picked up on the Internet.

You can use these to 'badge' your TI as an "up-to-date" model. ;)

I'll be using one or two of these when I finally get around to updating one of the spare TI's. I'll be using that water-slide stuff as it's transparent and will work perfectly with these logos.

HDMI TI.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been SLOWLY collecting the parts and pieces for my "HDMI TI" project. Since I don't want to make any permanent alterations to the hardware, that being the F18A, or the VGA to HDMI controller, I decided to get a couple of adapters for the power and audio connections for inside the TI. Anyway I decided to get a short USB extension for the power. I figured it would be easy to hack off the male end, strip the insulation, and then solder it into the TI.

The price, delivered to my door is cheaper than the gas alone would be to drive 1/4 of the way to a store!

<< USB LINK IS HERE >>

gallery_35324_1027_21182.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a kind of analogue tuner (as found in OLD TV sets) to HDMI convertor box, such that I hook the output of my TI modulator to this box, tune in the channel within this box and then let it output HDMI ? If yes can you kindly indicate brand or link to purchasing such an STB?

Is there a kind of analogue tuner (as found in OLD TV sets) to HDMI convertor box, such that I hook the output of my TI modulator to this box, tune in the channel within this box and then let it output HDMI ? If yes can you kindly indicate brand or link to purchasing such an STB?

Funny. Just bumped in to this.. Can't speak for it but they're out there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N093WEX/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=3cedf31f2d3a301f66c492c04142fb2d

• Like 1

Greg, thanks for this info but my TI-99/4A is a European PAL model.

For PAL models, if you have a component or scart input in your TV/display, you can just inject the YPbPr signal to it with a custom cable. I'm doing exactly that with my PAL TI99 and a Sony LCD. In some screens colors look too blue as the Pb signal isn´t standard but in an old Panasonic plasma with a Scart card it looks really good. Maybe you can convert YPbPr to HDMI directly (I've read some success stories online)

• Like 2

For PAL models, if you have a component or scart input in your TV/display, you can just inject the YPbPr signal to it with a custom cable. I'm doing exactly that with my PAL TI99 and a Sony LCD. In some screens colors look too blue as the Pb signal isn´t standard but in an old Panasonic plasma with a Scart card it looks really good. Maybe you can convert YPbPr to HDMI directly (I've read some success stories online)

OK Thanks, I will look into that too then.

• 3 months later...

That's so PURDY!..

Thanks Chris. Sadly looks are deceiving. :_(

The F18A and converter work fine, but the cable for the keyboard self-destructed and I'm unable to repair it. So if anyone has a spare black, WORKING and non Mitsumi keyboard they would be willing to sell at a reasonable price, I'm in the market to purchase. If you are willing to accept PayPal, please send me a PM.

After I get the keyboard up and running all I'll have left to do is hook up the audio. For now I'm in a holding pattern.