IGNORED

Dreamcast keyboard

The Typing of the Dead instantly comes to mind. If you bought a mouse you can use it with the keyboard for Quake 3. Some people have ported older computer games like Quake and Marathon 2 that work well with a keyboard and mouse combo. For the price it seems reasonable judging by what's listed on eBay, but you might get one cheaper eventually if you want to wait.

Edited by xenomorpher

I've had one since 'back in the day.' I used it mostly for the web browser (hugely handy for that), though typing of the dead was an option too.

The thing of it is that the keyboard's performance is a bit underwhelming. Because of that, I'd rather play the newer typing of the dead games which let me use a nicer controller. For me, I say pass. I'll probably never plug mine in again so it's just taking up space in a box somewhere.

Edited by Reaperman

$15 loose is over priced. You should be able to get a boxed one for $10. I've bought boxed ones for less recently. There are a lot of them out there and they are undesirable for your average gamer. They take up space and might not be used that often.

Personally, I think it's a good accessory though. Had one back in the day and used it religiously with my first person shooters that I played online. Typing of the Dead is obviously the ideal game for it, but it works with Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament and Outtrigger as well (along with the mouse for those later three games). There might be other titles you can use it with, but those are the primary ones you would want it for.

I remember seeing these in Best Buy years after the Dreamcast had been discontinued. They were probably in the $10-$15 range new at that time.

Always thought they were cool, but never picked one up. Like others had mentioned they took up too much room. I only used the Dreamcast browser to go online like once (just to say I did it) so no incentive there. You always hear people mention Typing of the Dead in conjunction with the keyboard, so if you do snag it, I'd for sure find a copy of that game as well.

• 2 weeks later...

How is the emulator on the DC? I didn't know it existed. If it's solid I'll have to burn a disc and try it out myself.

It seems to work well for most things I've tried, though it wouldn't surprise me if some of the more outré games (especially PAL releases) don't work.

The version I burned is a bit older (though it had the virtue of coming with a huge archive of games :D), and the one annoying bug I've encountered is being unable to get savegames or savestates to work. I think that's been addressed in more recent versions.

• 2 weeks later...