IGNORED

lcd tv delay

xucaen

I recently read about LCD TVs having a delay when it comes to video games. I realize the delay is something like a tenth of a second but is that really enough to throw off some games especially shooters such as spider fighter or River raid? Should I really invest in an old tube television? my LCD TV's game mode settings only seem to affect background lighting, contrast, brightness, color, tint, I don't see anything that might reduce the delay.

A tenth of a second is a LOT.

E.g. a few people recently complained about Stay Frosty 2. They found it much too hard. It turned out that they used devices with a big delay. This delay made the game almost unplayable.

Check this and this database before you buy your LCD for playing. A few TVs seem pretty fast.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

A tenth of a second is a LOT.

E.g. a few people recently complained about Stay Frosty 2. They found it much too hard. It turned out that they used devices with a big delay. This delay made the game almost unplayable.

Check this and this database before you buy your LCD for playing. A few TVs seem pretty fast.

Thanks for that database! Yup, mine is an Insignia TV I bought at bestbuy. Ugh. luckily it wasn't too expensive. Looks like I'm buying a new TV.

EDIT.

My TV is a 32" Insignia 1080p HDTV model# NS-32D51 1NA15 REV A
The only one in the database that comes close is NS-32E400NA14 with 28ms delay.
Is 28ms good enough for Atari games? or for any games?
I can assume that mine has a delay of about 28ms but it could be more so I need to do more research. This is a good lead though. Thanks again!!

Get a tube based monitor or TV. That is all I play my games on. I have found brand new, in the box tube sets on FleeBay for $20 - $30 shipped. They are excellent quality pictures, deep rich colors and vibrant. I love the tube dude.

I searched fleabay.net for "tv" but they don't have any. ...or did you mean "ebay"? ;-)

I definitely prefer CRTs for older games. I tried temporarily hooking up Atari's Video Pinball console to the HDTV and the results weren't pretty. Lag was bad enough to effect gameplay. I also noticed that the TV upscales anything lower than S-Video. Even the 480i native GCN Mega Man collection had terrible lag when played with the composite cable, though it was fine (at least as fine as that collection can be) in component.

I searched fleabay.net for "tv" but they don't have any. ...or did you mean "ebay"? ;-)

So sorry. Some people on this site refer to Ebay as "FleaBay". But honestly, I have had a good history with Ebay.

THIS IS WHAT recommend. This is what I used. It is Superb. Many connections on the back and the picture is HD quality. It will not disappoint you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-TM-131SU-13-Professional-Color-Video-Monitor-Security-Surveillance-/221669515908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339c886284

There are tons of great TVs for sale at Thrift shops. They are real cheap. When everyone was going to LCD flat screen, they dumped their big fat TVs, mostly donating them. I used to see great shape TVs or $10 or $15. It seem some people are going back to them, so they are not as cheap. But, they are still pretty cheap (compared to flats). So, go looking at the thrifts. Tubes are still cool, and they last a LONG time.

I definitely prefer CRTs for older games. I tried temporarily hooking up Atari's Video Pinball console to the HDTV and the results weren't pretty. Lag was bad enough to effect gameplay. I also noticed that the TV upscales anything lower than S-Video. Even the 480i native GCN Mega Man collection had terrible lag when played with the composite cable, though it was fine (at least as fine as that collection can be) in component.

I agree CRTs are still the way to go. I have 4 or five in the attic. I know it's NOT a renewal resource.