IGNORED

Looking for some 3ds suggestions

Reaperman

I'm late to the 3ds party, but on the 13th, I'm probably going for a 'new' 3ds XL, assuming I don't break down and buy an old one first. I've started by buying games/accessories for the system. I'm finding a surprising amount to like, but also know I'm missing a lot of the more obscure 3rd party stuff since the first party titles (which I do pay attention to, but am less interested in) are grabbing a lot of the youtube search space.

I'll start with what I have purchased already: Shadow Wars, Bravely Default, Castlevania, and Sticker Star. I'm not as sure about the last two, but I've liked previous games in the series, so I'm giving them a try.

What do I like?

• Racing games.* My favorite genre, however the big * is that I tend not to care for titles with 'boost buttons,' track pickups or, very specifically, Mario. So the obvious 3ds option is pretty well out for me. I'm not against good arcade racers, as long as the vehicle control is satisfying and I'm not punished for perfecting it.
  • Flight games. Especially space flight games, but I don't think there are any so I'll take what I can get. Ace combat looks like it might be okay.
  • Management games. Running a lemonade stand, a city, an empire, trading goods on the high seas, etc.
  • Turn-based RPGs. I tend to go prefer the ones taking place outside of the 'standard fantasy setting'
  • Turn-based Strategy. Tactical, 4x, etc. Again, I lean away from swordy-sword with elves and unicorns.
  • Scrolling shmups and run-and-guns. These genres are about as 'action' as I get these days.
  • Games where I build things. Just in general, I tend to enjoy the concept of games being a creative outlet.

So, what am I missing? I could use some ideas to look up on the youtubes. I lean heavily toward the 'old people' genres, so I don't expect to be interested in everything on 3ds, but I've already got a few games, and there are surely more. Perhaps very stupidly, I also purchased the voice chat headset for the system--do any titles besides Heroes of Ruin and Pokemon use it? (I'm kind of interested in those, but I haven't decided)

• Turn-based RPGs. I tend to go prefer the ones taking place outside of the 'standard fantasy setting'
  • Turn-based Strategy. Tactical, 4x, etc. Again, I lean away from swordy-sword with elves and unicorns.
  • Scrolling shmups and run-and-guns. These genres are about as 'action' as I get these days.
  • Games where I build things. Just in general, I tend to enjoy the concept of games being a creative outlet.

Here's what I own and played and could possibly recommend (I know how picky you are :P):

Turn based RPG:

Etrian Odyssey and the Shin Megami Tensei games are some of the best turn based RPG's out there for 3DS. Another one is Persona Q. Some of these games feature a modern setting but with demons or monsters like the persona games for example, but I don't know if you would be into that.

Turn based strategy:

Fire Emblem - A lot more forgiving than older games in the series. A bit repetitive but a good game. The main feature I like is teaming up the characters with different combinations. There's a few others like Project X Zone but I found that one to be too repetitive for my tastes.

Shmups:

I don't have any on the 3DS. If you really want some solid shmups and RPG's you should look into getting a PSP and homebrew it. ;)

Building.

I don't have any of these either and I dont think there are any ATM.

One game that features just about everything except turn based battles is Fantasy Life. You can be any type of character, switch between all the classes, build houses, cook, farm, make potions, smithy, go on adventures and even hook up online with friends. It's like an Animal Crossing RPG. I play it off and on and its almost endless. My wife played it for over 80 hours and is still messing around with it. It's got long winded absurd dialog at times which makes you feel like your in 3rd grade but other than that its pretty good.

The DS is still my favorite out of the Nintendo handhelds, I still find the 3DS lacking in game selections a bit.

Get Fire Emblem: Awakening. In my opinion, it isn't a TRPG worth playing more than once, but that one playthrough is absolutely fantastic.

I spent a lot of time with Project X-Zone. It's a TRPG with crossovers from Capcom, Namco, and Sega characters. I liked it, but the individual battles were starting to take 2 hours apiece to play. Gameplay was samey throughout with no expansion of game mechanics as the game progressed. Plus, every boss was just a huge attrition battle of hammering through a few hundred thousand HPs with my best attacks. I'm making it sound bad, but it was pretty fun. I just burnt out on it and didn't complete it.

There's a game called Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. I own it but haven't played it. It's a TRPG. It's supposed to be fairly middling, but it's something other than a fantasy setting. Plus, it's really cheap. Amazon has it for $15 right now, and I bet you could probably find it cheaper if you hunt around. So it's probably worth it for novelty.

Other than that, I spent a lot of time with Animal Crossing: New Leaf. But I haven't spent any appreciable time with my 3DS for about a year.