Odyssey 2 voice mod

11 replies to this topic

#1 ArcadeJunkie OFFLINE  

ArcadeJunkie

Moonsweeper

• 316 posts
  • Respect your digital roots....

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:48 AM

After converting the output of my Odyssey 2 to composite, I have been playing it much more lately.  I also have "The Voice" accessory and im just getting annoyed with the fact that the sound comes from the speaker on the unit and not from the TV.  I was toying with the idea of hooking up the red/white RCA output jacks to the back of the voice unit and tie them in with the already existing red/white output on the console itself.  I have a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to electronics, but I was just wondering if anyone knows what would happen if you hook up 2 audio outputs into one audio input?  Would they both play through the TV speakers together without issue? (ive attached a crude diagram for reference)   Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Attached File  O2 (Audio Diagram).jpg   23.33KB   5 downloads

#2 ls650 OFFLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 7,200 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:19 PM

I've been thinking of getting the Voice module for my O2, but they are _so_ expensive. 

I saw a fellow selling one on the videopac.nl forum a couple of days ago: he wanted 125 Euros - about $150 US.

I just can't justify that kind of money for it.

#3 CatPix OFFLINE  

CatPix

River Patroller

• 3,934 posts

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:40 PM

People or prices are crazy. I picked a Voice last year on eBay US for 30us$ (plus shipping).

#4 ArcadeJunkie OFFLINE  

ArcadeJunkie

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 316 posts

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:55 PM

Mine was $50, but its in outstanding shape... I love playing kc chase and listening to the creepy laugh

#5 CatPix OFFLINE  

CatPix

River Patroller

• 3,934 posts

Posted Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:39 AM

Mine is a bit weathered but nothing bad.
Anyway, for your sound question, there is two options :
First, tapping your sound output from the speaker. It's the most straightforward option. Tho it's strongly advised to put a resistor in order to avoid sending too much power into the TV amp.
Second, picking up the sound right at the synthetizer chip output. This way the sound will be at low lever and need no protection. It may be too low for the TV tho.

The first solution let you control the Voice level, and is easier to do. But you have to keep or remove the speaker.
The second is more complex but you get the choice to keep the speaker.

#6 ArcadeJunkie OFFLINE  

ArcadeJunkie

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 316 posts

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 AM

Thanks for the great advice!  looks like i have a date with a soldering iron this weekend...

Do you think hooking up 2 sources of audio output into 1 source input would allow for both sources to play at the same time on the tv?

#7 CatPix OFFLINE  

CatPix

River Patroller

• 3,934 posts

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:04 PM

Oh they will, no problems for this ;) As I mentionned, the problem might be at the level output. The O² might be much louder than the Voice, or vice-versa.

One solution would be to put the O² sound on one sound TV channel and the Voice on the other. It might sound weird tho :D

Edited by CatPix, Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:04 PM.

#8 ArcadeJunkie OFFLINE  

ArcadeJunkie

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 316 posts

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:54 PM

Well..... I did the mod.... and I must say I am quite impressed! I just disconnected the speaker and wired those leads right to the rca output. The volume for both sound great! Some games are a bit louder than others, but the volume adjustment takes care of the difference! Thanks again for the help my friend!

Now.... gotta see if I can integrate he voice and the base so the console doesn't look like it has a big tumor on it..... anyone know if any games don't work at all with the voice unit?

#9 CatPix OFFLINE  

CatPix

River Patroller

• 3,934 posts

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:07 AM

As far as I'm aware, only the Videpac+ only games may not work with the Voice, so you should be fine.

#10 Rolo OFFLINE  

Rolo

Moonsweeper

• 386 posts

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:05 PM

Most of them do. Also the Videopac+ games. Sometimes a short faulty sound sample of the voice can happen.

Not working:

• BASIC
  • CHESS

I'll do some testing and try to find games, that don't work. Normally, I don't switch off "The Voice".

#11 Rob Mitchell OFFLINE  

Rob Mitchell

River Patroller

• 2,846 posts

Posted Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:32 PM

Well..... I did the mod.... and I must say I am quite impressed! I just disconnected the speaker and wired those leads right to the rca output. The volume for both sound great!

Ok I can see asding a small speaker shut off jack on the Voice and a small input jack on the O2 and a short mono 1/8" jack cable between the the two. Thanks!

#12 desiv OFFLINE  

desiv

Stargunner

• 1,746 posts

Posted Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:21 PM

After converting the output of my Odyssey 2 to composite, 

Wait, you were able to do that with an NTSC O2?

Did you basically just hook up the wires and have it work, or did you have to add some electronics?

I tried the basic video mod on mine but it didn't work.

Saw some more complicated (not too bad looking, but) other things to try, but never found one I was confidant enough would work.

I'd heard that that some O2's just work with the straight wiring and some don't...

Any help would be.. er.. um..  helpful..   ;-)

I do have a voice module, so once the mod is done, it would be interesting to send the sound to the TV.  Tho I kind of like the speaker approach too.

Reminds me of my pong unit..   ;-)

Thanx,

desiv

Edited by desiv, Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Odyssey 2, voice, mod

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users