IGNORED

Toki Prototype For 7800 Discovered!

Willard

Haha, CPU's going ape spit now! :lol:

Besides the latest homebrews, this has got to be one of the most eagerly awaited releases ever. Hoping we'll all know when it's good and ready. :)

As opposed to Paperboy? Or Electrocop, Elevator Action, or Moon Patrol being found?

Curt mentioned over on Facebook he's trying to recover some data from one of the Atari Corp Vax hard drives and that he'd already found source code to some released games...

As opposed to Paperboy? Or Electrocop, Elevator Action, or Moon Patrol being found?

Curt mentioned over on Facebook he's trying to recover some data from one of the Atari Corp Vax hard drives and that he'd already found source code to some released games...

Yeah, I've heard about these possibly floating around in some state or another and would love to see them too! Wasn't trying to diminish the excitement and enthusiasm for any of those or any others waiting to be discovered, just saying that Toki being a platformer and all, pretty exciting stuff! Especially since the genre is sorely lacking in the 7800's library. :)

Yeah, I've heard about these possibly floating around in some state or another and would love to see them too! Wasn't trying to diminish the excitement and enthusiasm for any of those or any others waiting to be discovered, just saying that Toki being a platformer and all, pretty exciting stuff! Especially since the genre is sorely lacking in the 7800's library. :)

Besides, Toki is a far better platformer than most existing back-in-the-day sidescrollers on the 7800.

• 1 month later...

You really do see the glass as 'half empty', eh, Kosmic Stardust?

Not by a longshot. The visuals are gorgeous. But if a guy like Sprybug can create excellent renditions of Sega Genesis soundtracks on the TIA, the programmers could have done better than a soundtrack that sounds like burps and farts. This is the first I've heard actual audio from the game. I'll still buy a repro in a heartbeat... ;-)

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree. Amazing visuals, but they really dropped the ball on the WIP soundtrack. It's neat that they got it to play at the same time as the sound effects, but it's really unpleasant. At best, it needs a POKEY. At worst, just drop the soundtrack and ramp up the sound effects. The 1993 copyright date is also pretty nuts considering how long the Genesis and SNES were out by that time.

• Like 2

To all those out there who are scrutinizing this port....remember that this was done by other people...the file was discovered and through passion and a labor of love we now have a working game.

Just to give clarity to this please look at the following screenshot of the arcade spec information:

post-34056-0-55024400-1464278607_thumb.png

Now we all know the specs of the Atari 7800...but for those who dont...Atari 7800 CPU is running at 1.79MHz..1.19 when TIA is accessed (which it is obvious in this port) and the MARIA chip runs a 7 MHz

I for one think that the port looks amazing given the restrictions of the console.

Also keep in mind that the ones who have labored over this project want to keep the integrity of the port as it was initially intended.

There will be those who take this port and will clean up the graphics and will also do a better sound. There reason it sounds the way it does now is because there is a huge amount of clipping going on.

I am so glad to finally see this game in action and cannot wait for the ROM to be released so I can have a whack at it. I love the 7800 and I am still amazed at what can be done with it.

Cheers!

• Like 6

How can we say they "dropped the ball" or "could have done better" when we only have access to the BETA? No one can know what it would have sounded like if they were given time to refine/release it. I also don't know what the impact of converting from PAL to NTSC might have on the sound. There is a noticeable slowdown in the sound and even some glitches when the action get's busy that is attributed to the conversion. Look at the other thread for some comments on this.

• Like 5

Why so sensitive about what's shown in the video? In the video, the background music is dreadful. The other technology is something special. Why is it a problem to comment on that? We all know it's not a finished product. Does that fact somehow make it immune to anything that might possibly be perceived as criticism?

• Like 3

Why so sensitive about what's shown in the video? In the video, the background music is dreadful. The other technology is something special. Why is it a problem to comment on that? We all know it's not a finished product. Does that fact somehow make it immune to anything that might possibly be perceived as criticism?

Thank you Bill; I think we are on the same page for once.

It's not my program, so I'm certainly not sensitive about it. I just find it funny that people are being critical of the programmers for an unreleased game.

Nobody is criticising you or any 7800 homebrewer. We are criticising the original Atari programmers.
  • Like 1

I didn't take any comments personally since it's not my game. My point is only that we have no idea what it could have been since it's unreleased. Why be critical of the programmers when they didn't have a chance to finish it? And why is it so hard to provide constructive criticism of a game without insulting the programmers? "really dropped the ball"?

• Like 6

Our posts must have crossed. I didn't take any comments personally since it's not my game. My point is only that we have no idea what it could have been since it's unreleased. Why be critical of the programmers when they didn't have a chance to finish it? And why is it so hard to provide constructive criticism of a game without insulting the programmers? "really dropped the ball"?

Indeed. It's hard to fairly criticize someone's unfinished work and if anything, should be awe'd that this still exists and is going to actually be released soon, even in an as-is, un-refined form. We should all be so grateful to have the chance to play things like this! Nothing wrong with discussing faults or issues though and what "could have beens" had it been actually completed.

How can we say they "dropped the ball" or "could have done better" when we only have access to the BETA? No one can know what it would have sounded like if they were given time to refine/release it. I also don't know what the impact of converting from PAL to NTSC might have on the sound. There is a noticeable slowdown in the sound and even some glitches when the action get's busy that is attributed to the conversion. Look at the other thread for some comments on this.

When I played it in MAME, there was no slowdown (from what I can remember) in the sound or gameplay in the PAL version, but there was in certain spots in the NTSC version (of course this may differ on actual hardware). This corresponds to what RevEng said, that the NTSC conversion introduced some noticeable vertical scrolling issues and (in certain spots) some minor horizontal scrolling issues. It seems in the NTSC version the vertical issues are a bit of choppiness while the horizontal issues are slowdown. He mentioned it might be improvable but not without a lot of additional work.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

It's not my program, so I'm certainly not sensitive about it. I just find it funny that people are being critical of the programmers for an unreleased game.

Agree. Let's be honest guys on a few points.

Atari 7800 built in TIA sound was limited then, just as it is now. Not news

Jack Tramiel didn't particularly want to spend a ton of money on 7800 games. He didn't typically hire expensive dev houses or pay for long dev cycles. There are ample stories of him rejecting larger cartridges (ie. Impossible Mission), onboard RAM in games (ie. Jinks, the 7800 tech docs), and the fact that there are only two games in the whole library that support POKEY suggests to me that it likely was never an option for the developers to use POKEY sound, because that would have cost more money. This is also not news.

Yeah - I suppose the TIA sound could have been better. Not sure I agree with the programmers "dropping the ball" by not doing a POKEY soundtrack. They likely never even had that ball to play with. This isn't a labour of love like it is now for homebrewers where they do it for fun and then we benefit. They likely had a contract to fulfill for a fixed price budget.

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

When I played it in MAME, there was no slowdown (from what I can remember) in the sound or gameplay in the PAL version, but there was in certain spots in the NTSC version (of course this may differ on actual hardware). This corresponds to what RevEng said, that the NTSC conversion introduced some noticeable vertical scrolling issues and (in certain spots) some minor horizontal scrolling issues. It seems in the NTSC version the vertical issues are a bit of choppiness while the horizontal issues are slowdown. He mentioned it might be improvable but not without a lot of additional work.

How was the sound quality in PAL? It's pretty rough in NTSC conversion. I'm just curious if something might have happened in the process.