IGNORED

DonPan on the Geneve 9640

Ksarul

Following some clues I received from Barry Boone on his conversions of Tomy Tutor Cartridges to run on the Geneve back in the day, I did an experiment. The attached disk thinks it is Jungle Terror, but if all went as I expected it to, it is now Don Pan.

If someone with a Geneve set up can export this to a physical TI disk and test it, I would greatly appreciate it. If it works, I will port some of the other Pyuuta titles over too. It is a SSSD disk created with TI Image Tool.

TOMY-G10.dsk

Following some clues I received from Barry Boone on his conversions of Tomy Tutor Cartridges to run on the Geneve back in the day, I did an experiment. The attached disk thinks it is Jungle Terror, but if all went as I expected it to, it is now Don Pan.

If someone with a Geneve set up can export this to a physical TI disk and test it, I would greatly appreciate it. If it works, I will port some of the other Pyuuta titles over too. It is a SSSD disk created with TI Image Tool.

I'd like to know, what is Don Pan like? It looks really interesting and sounds interesting too. Is it as awesome as it looks/sounds?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/don-pan/screenshots

Also, did Tomy licence it to Radio Shack for the TRS-80 as well as a company to put it on the MSX? Since I see the title screen on the TRS-80 says 1984 Tomy, as does the MSX version. Could this be the only Tomy Tutor title ported to other computers? If so, where's Tomy's TI-99/4A version? The TI-99/4A needs some Don Pan loving too! :)

Edited by Toucan

I did a little more searching on the web and found that a few people stated they liked Don Pan, one saying it was their favorite title on the CoCo. Well, I just knew Don Pan had to be good. With a name like Don Pan who's a balloon that can shoot enemies with air, but you lose helium with each shot and have to stay replenished...It just had to be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKm-gPHFAO8

I think it's time for a Don Pan appriciation thread.

Edited by Toucan

I don't have a Geneve any longer; but I did run it successfully in MESS. I have a problem with Geneve MESS joysticks but that isn't specific to Don Pan.

Edited by mdorman

A lot of the Tomy Tutor ROMs have been available online for about 10 years now, but the dumps were primarily limited to the US releases until sometime within the last few years. The Japanese Pyuuta releases have been slowly showing up--and I've got plans to build a dump rig to pull the data from the rest of them (I have a complete set of the Japanese cartridges) at some point. You could also join the Tomy Tutor group on Yahoo! to find information which dumps are out there and where to find them. The group is small, but there has been a lot going on there lately. My work here is part of a prelude to building a 1MB Tomy Multicart (in a TI-99/4A cartridge case). I needed to bone up on my skills with Hex Edit and this was a nice opportunity to do so. The Supercart will be banked in 32K increments to maintain full compatibility with the original Tomy cartridge structure, so it will let us put as many as 30 Tomy cartridges into it (if it works--something I'll probably know in a few weeks once I get the boards in, build one, and do some testing to see what will be needed for a bank switching header file for banks 1 and 32). There are 27 unique cartridges for the Tutor/Pyuuta family of computers--and a few more that exist with Japanese or English menu text but which are otherwise identical. There is also one prototype file out there for an existing game. If I ignore the different language variants, I should be able to put all of the titles and the prototype onto a single cartridge. If I needed to include all cartridge variants, I might actually be able to fit a larger, 2M chip onto the board and increase the number of available slots to 62 after reserving the two header banks. That would be serious overkill though, as something like 24 banks would be empty.

I also have a standard Tomy-style cartridge board on the way to make it possible for homebrew Tomy cartridges up to 24K (the ROMs are 32K, but tracing out the signals indicates that the last 8K is actually inaccessible). More testing will let me know the truth of that too.

Thanks for the testing. I now have confirmation from several folks that it worked under emulation. I still need confirmation for real iron though. I'll try and do a few more ports over the coming week.

Tell me. Did you already check the settings in the on-screen menu, "Input (this system)"?

The "Input (this system)" shows me only the floppy & hard drive selections. The "Slot Devices" shows the Joystick toggle on "twinjoy" . I have toggled it off and on with no effect. I have also used the -joystick command line option. I have deleted the cfg directory and geneve.ini.

The "Input (this system)" shows me only the floppy & hard drive selections. The "Slot Devices" shows the Joystick toggle on "twinjoy" . I have toggled it off and on with no effect. I have also used the -joystick command line option. I have deleted the cfg directory and geneve.ini.

This is surprising; are you sure you selected the correct submenu? Floppy and hard drive selections should be under "File manager". In slot devices, "twinjoy" must be set. What kind of joystick do you use? The default is to map the arrow keys to the joystick directions.

You can check with a short ABASIC program (doing a CALL JOYST with PRINT in a loop).

Ok I got this on the geneve.. how do i run it? just like an ea5 in gpl? or ? trying to load jungle1 from anything seems to bail.

Greg

exec: io error

tiexec: io error

gpl: unable toload

gpl with ea cart, option 5: crashes the geneve funny noises

Greg

slap head

I believe these have to execute from MDOS. One note: the Tomy OS actually replaces MDOS in memory when these execute, so it forces a reboot on exit.

dur

sorry it's been a while..

guess i better hook up a joystick :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0B2745MaYo

Good to know. I was basing my comment on the notes I got from Barry. I take it the game ran fine then. This is good. I'll work on the rest of the images I have as the week progresses. I have Athletic Land, Frogger, Mission Attack, MonsterInn, Night Flight, Bombman, and SaurusLand as regular dumps.

I also have Baseball, but I have to take a look at that one to see what I need to do with it, as it "should" be 24K but the dump I have is 32K. I think the original cartridge folds the last 8K over the section between 16K and 24K, fooling the original dump software into believing that it occupied the full 32K, but I have to do a bit comparison of that section of the file to be sure.

I'll have to do dumps of the others I have to get the rest of the files I need for the conversion of the entire Japanese set, but the ones I have now will make a good start.

• Like 1

Good to know. I was basing my comment on the notes I got from Barry. I take it the game ran fine then. This is good. I'll work on the rest of the images I have as the week progresses. I have Athletic Land, Frogger, Mission Attack, MonsterInn, Night Flight, Bombman, and SaurusLand as regular dumps.

I also have Baseball, but I have to take a look at that one to see what I need to do with it, as it "should" be 24K but the dump I have is 32K. I think the original cartridge folds the last 8K over the section between 16K and 24K, fooling the original dump software into believing that it occupied the full 32K, but I have to do a bit comparison of that section of the file to be sure.

I'll have to do dumps of the others I have to get the rest of the files I need for the conversion of the entire Japanese set, but the ones I have now will make a good start.

cool I think I just found my directory with the games barry dumped - :) terrror, train, space few others wow space is a sad port of scramble..

\

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

These won't run on a /4A without some serious reconfiguration of the Tomy OS. The conversions actually lift the entire Tomy operating system onto the Geneve, with modifications to retarget the various hardware OS hooks from the locations they use on the Tutor to the equivalent spots on the Geneve. It has absolutely nothing to do with video limitations--the Geneve has a 9938 while the Tutor uses the 9918A. Both systems use the same microprocessor however--the TMS9995, which made the OS port to the Geneve a lot easier. I know enough to port the remaining games. I do not know enough to try porting the OS to a 99/4A--especially since the cartridge space is mapped differently on a Tutor, which would require significant modifications to the cartridge code too. Your only viable solutions for this one are to acquire a Tutor or to acquire a Geneve, Omega. ;)

Your only viable solutions for this one are to acquire a Tutor or to acquire a Geneve, Omega. ;)

Oh rat farts! Sadly, a Geneve is not in the cards for me. About the 'closest' I'll ever get to that configuration is with the PS/2 keyboard mod and the DSDD80 track card (Myarc clone) when they come out to go with my video enhanced console.

So I take it the operating system cannot be jammed into an Uber Cart and tweaked/setup to take over like XB2.7s does with it's menu? I would have figured there would be enough space in that thing to pull off some 'creative' porting of the OS.