IGNORED

Game Enthusiast's Magazine (1990, scan included)

I was browsing through some boxes I got out of storage at my parents' house a few years ago, and discovered a 16-page pamphlet called Game Enthusiast's Magazine:

post-6067-0-55787000-1423020469_thumb.jpg

A friend of my mother's gave this to me in the early '90s, and the issue I have is July/August 1990, Vol. 1, No. 1, published by PAL Publishing in Fresno, CA. I can't find anything about this online -- anyone ever heard of it?

It has 5 pages of Lynx and Atari ST coverage toward the beginning, including a full-page Lynx ad from BRE Software and an Atari ST scanner review (!). This is followed by 3 pages of Legend of Zelda tips and 4 pages of Sega Genesis reviews. The rest of the pages are the cover, an editor's note, a Marketplace page, and another full-page ad from BRE on the back. It also has an ad for "The Game Domain BBS" (misspelled as Domian).

I've scanned it and attached a PDF. Obviously it's yellowed with age and isn't in the best shape, though the scan probably makes it look worse than it is. BTW I got this in New Hampshire, so it clearly wasn't just a local distribution.

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think! Atari Lynx and ST fans may find this particularly interesting, but the magazine clearly wanted to cover a broad range of systems. Since BRE Software was also in Fresno, and was the primary advertiser, maybe they were responsible for putting this out.

Game Enthusiast's Magazine, Vol. 1 No. 1 July-August 1990.pdf

• Like 2

Thank-you very much for sharing this!

I quickly searched some library catalogues (i.e. Library of Congress, WorldCat, San Joaquin Valley Library System), but there are no holdings for this magazine, nor any record of PAL Publishing.

There is a Pal Publishing House in Delhi, India, but I doubt that there is a connection.

You are probably correct that it was published by BRE Software; it is not uncommon for companies to produce newsletters, etc. as a form of advertising. Alas, these types of ephemeral publications are rarely collected by public institutions, such as libraries.

Thank-you very much for sharing this!

I quickly searched some library catalogues (i.e. Library of Congress, WorldCat, San Joaquin Valley Library System), but there are no holdings for this magazine, nor any record of PAL Publishing.

There is a Pal Publishing House in Delhi, India, but I doubt that there is a connection.

You are probably correct that it was published by BRE Software; it is not uncommon for companies to produce newsletters, etc. as a form of advertising. Alas, these types of ephemeral publications are rarely collected by public institutions, such as libraries.

A belated reply, but glad you enjoyed it! Since BRE Software are still very much around, I suppose I could contact them and find out if there were any more issues printed, and if so whether any copies are in their files. It's a fun little newsletter, though I vehemently disagree with some of the reviews. :D