Photo

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

776 replies to this topic

#751 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,043 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:40 AM

I'm trying to learn to import and test cassettes. I've digitized hundreds of cassettes (Dorsett) but didn't test them, that was Tom's job. 

So I created WAV files, and when I try to read them in Altirra, the cassette indicator jumps a few seconds in (e.g. :29 on Satan's Satellite) then just stops. I barely know how to use Altirra. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or I don't understand how it's supposed to work.

attachicon.gifBattle Warp 16K - Westcoast Software.wav.zip

attachicon.gifSatan's Satellite 8K - Westcoast Software.wav.zip

P.S. Battle Warp has rockin' loading music.

Hi Kevin, both of these are CLOAD's

Attach Basic and the tape, get the ready screen and type CLOAD and hit return a couple of times, there will be a short load and then type run....

Music sounds a little low but is deffo there :)

Had another listen, yeah one channel, I forget which, is the music and it needs to be boosted a fair bit

Edited by Mclaneinc, Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:43 AM.

#752 Farb OFFLINE  

Farb

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 502 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:25 AM

Here's a Kyroflux dump of ACR — Atari Cash Register. Super rare, I think. The disk boots on my Atari 800, doesn't work on XL.

This seems to have the same problem as Morloc's Tower - I don't see any data in the dump. How are you creating these (e.g. GUI or command-line, settings, etc.)? 48tpi or 96tpi floppy drive?

Edited by Farb, Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:26 AM.

#753 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,860 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:53 AM

disks empty, and empty... cassettes need the Audio slightly boosted, not too much or it will distort.

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:54 AM.

#754 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:15 PM

OK, then. We've recovered two rare Atari tapes. I'll leave the rest to the you folks :)

I can get Satan's Satellite to run with that system. Battle Warp loads then halts with an error.

Kevin

Battle Warp.jpg Satan's Satellite.jpg

Hi Kevin, both of these are CLOAD's

Attach Basic and the tape, get the ready screen and type CLOAD and hit return a couple of times, there will be a short load and then type run....

Music sounds a little low but is deffo there :)

Had another listen, yeah one channel, I forget which, is the music and it needs to be boosted a fair bit

#755 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:27 PM

This seems to have the same problem as Morloc's Tower - I don't see any data in the dump. How are you creating these (e.g. GUI or command-line, settings, etc.)? 48tpi or 96tpi floppy drive?

OK: I cleaned the heads of the drive. Is this any better?

If this works, I'll re-try the cash register program.

getting the dump with dtc -fMorlocTry2\track -k2 -g0 -i0 -r5

Attached File  MorlocTry2.zip   7.82MB   9 downloads

Edited by Savetz, Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:35 PM.

#756 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:28 PM

Here's the manual, .ATR file, cassette .WAV and pictures of 4VEP—Four Voice Editor Player. By Dave Schermerhorn, published by Take-A-Byte Inc. in February 1983.

https://archive.org/details/Atari_4VEP

#757 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,860 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:34 PM

It's best to do the recording of the cassettes again using the original, copies of other copies normally do not turn out very well...

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:36 PM.

#758 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:36 PM

It's best to do the recording of the cassettes again using the original, copies of other copies never turn out very well...

Are you referring to me? I'm only using originals.

Kevin

#759 Farb OFFLINE  

Farb

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 502 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:14 PM

OK: I cleaned the heads of the drive. Is this any better?

I at least see some data now. Although there are a ton of errors :-( Hopefully @ijor can recover something from it.

#760 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:35 PM

Here's a wav file of 6502 Disassembler by Quality Software. Tested working on Altirra.

Attached File  6502 Disassembler - Quality Software.wav.zip   36.29MB   11 downloads

tape.jpg

Screenshot 2017-12-07 11.23.47.png

#761 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:39 PM

However, Assembler by Quality Software gives me an ERROR-21 on load (despite instructions to CLOAD it.) What's wrong here?

Attached File  Assembler - Quality Software.wav.zip   31.32MB   10 downloads

tape.jpg

Thanks

Kevin

#762 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,043 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:57 PM

The quality Software title is 400/800 only, its not  CLOAD at all.

Works fine with or without BASIC...(Presuming it does not have to have basic but just happens to load with it...)

Edited by Mclaneinc, Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:57 PM.

#763 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,043 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:00 PM

OK, then. We've recovered two rare Atari tapes. I'll leave the rest to the you folks :)

I can get Satan's Satellite to run with that system. Battle Warp loads then halts with an error.

Kevin

attachicon.gifBattle Warp.jpgattachicon.gifSatan's Satellite.jpg

Battle works here...Seems fine...

#764 Farb OFFLINE  

Farb

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 502 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:12 PM

It's 2-sided, but Kyroflux can't do back sides. According to the manual, side A is for 48K systems; side B for 32K.

FYI, if the disk has two index holes you should be able to image the second side with Kryoflux.

#765 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:21 PM

FYI, if the disk has two index holes you should be able to image the second side with Kryoflux.

Good to know. I'll break out the hole punch and try it.

#766 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:22 PM

Battle works here...Seems fine...

Good. I wonder why I'm getting different results (on other things too). Grr. 

-Kevin

#767 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:30 PM

I at least see some data now. Although there are a ton of errors :-( Hopefully @ijor can recover something from it.

Here's another read at Atari Cash Register. Please try it. Trying to determine if it's better now with cleaner heads or the drive is screwed.

Attached File  ACR try 2.zip   6.99MB   5 downloads

#768 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• 726 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:32 PM

Holy crap, Kevin, each year(!), when we even think, it can't go better, you come and write the Atari bible from new!!!!!!

What, a Disassembler by Quality Software? An Assemler, too? This isn't even in the ATARI FAQ!!!!!!!!!!

I can't beleive it! What comes after living legend?

Under all circumstances, no matter how much and so on has to be done, Assembler and Disassembler must be preserved!

Disassembler:

http://www.atarimani...bler_12526.html

by Bob Pierce.

Assembler:

http://www.atarimani...bler_12525.html

by Gary Shannon.

They both should be interviewed in ANTIC. That is a big one! What was first, Atari Assembler by Kathleen or this one?

WOW! Sleepless in Germany...

#769 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,860 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:55 PM

Are you referring to me? I'm only using originals.

Kevin

it sounded like you wanted us to take what you made and have us re-record it at higher levels, that is best done coming of the original cassette in the deck and adjust the level of the device capturing the recording up ever so slightly.

If the line level on the deck is already accurate, that's the way else try another deck or get all tech crazy and adjust the line level out with a scope although some decks of year gone by allowed line out adjustment all their own

#770 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:30 PM

it sounded like you wanted us to take what you made and have us re-record it at higher levels, that is best done coming of the original cassette in the deck and adjust the level of the device capturing the recording up ever so slightly.

If the line level on the deck is already accurate, that's the way else try another deck or get all tech crazy and adjust the line level out with a scope although some decks of year gone by allowed line out adjustment all their own

Miscommunication. I'm not sure what I said to make you think that.

—Kevin

#771 Kr0tki OFFLINE  

Kr0tki

Stargunner

• 1,049 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:51 AM

a8cas results in my tears every time. WAV files I can handle :)

Ha! I know what you mean. A8CAS's interface is hardly bearable to myself. And I'm the author.

I'm going to look through your WAV uploads on Google Drive in a few days.

#772 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,043 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:44 AM

Good. I wonder why I'm getting different results (on other things too). Grr. 

-Kevin

The most problems I see people having in emulation in general is when they overload the emulator with configurations that really don't exist in the wild, you should see what the WinUAE Amiga emulator folks do to that poor but brilliant emulator. Keep the emulator as close to a real out of the box machine and what the game / utility wants and  most things will work.

Edited by Mclaneinc, Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:44 AM.

#773 mechanerd OFFLINE  

mechanerd

Star Raider

• 61 posts

Posted Sat Dec 9, 2017 10:55 AM

I've been asked for a list of what titles have been "preserved". I've started putting one together here:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

My current criteria for being on the list is:

1. Anything that Atarimania has flagged in red for its D, T, or K dumps.

2. Anything that has a [!] in the Atari cartridge list that Kr0tki has been maintaining. I'm still in the process of adding these as I've been converting the .rom files to .car.

3. Anything I've dumped myself and successfully created a working ATX file from. I've also indicated whether my dump came from an original or a backup of an original.

I definitely welcome comments and contributions to this list.

I have the original of MIDI Music system 1.0 by Synthetic Software. It's an unprotected disk. Written in assembler. Plays MIDI files and also includes a translator for AMS and AMS2 formats. I have tried to contact Atarimania to join their forums to no avail. It's listed as missing a dump file. I tossed in a disk.txt file explaining what it is and what format the disk is in.

My BBS archive of 3000 songs for it is coming. Meanwhile MMS III is still a boot disk and plays the same files.

Attached Files

Edited by mechanerd, Sat Dec 9, 2017 10:56 AM.

#774 Farb OFFLINE  

Farb

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 502 posts

Posted Sat Dec 9, 2017 11:09 AM

Thank you, mechanerd. I have added it to our preservation database here and it will be in the next torrent.

http://a8preservatio...api/titles/3921

Do you happen to have a scan or even a photo of the disk?

#775 Farb OFFLINE  

Farb

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 502 posts

Posted Sat Dec 9, 2017 11:23 AM

Here's another read at Atari Cash Register. Please try it. Trying to determine if it's better now with cleaner heads or the drive is screwed.

I see SOME data now, but as with Morloc's Tower, I'm seeing way more errors than I would expect. There are a few possible causes:

1. The stepper motor might not be moving the drive head smoothly. You could lubricate with some machine oil to make sure the head is traveling smoothly. This page has some more info: http://oldcomputer.i...mputer/ch11.htm

2. Reading the disks with a really dirty head could have damaged the disk surface so subsequent reads will have errors. If they still work in an Atari drive, this is less likely. Just be careful that you haven't also gunked up your Atari drive head in the process of testing these.

3. a8rawconv is having a problem reading the Kryoflux stream file. We have seen this with a few dumps but it is fairly rare so for two disks it seems unlikely but still possible. @ijor should be able to help us rule this one out.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users