IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

How do I download a file from the preserved software list to a SD or micro SD?

Put your SD/microSD card into a reader attached to your computer. Unzip the A8 Software Preservation archived ZIP file. Select the file(s) from the archive that you want and copy them to your SD card.

• Like 1

For scanned art I would not recommend Atarimania. They deface a lot of their art with their site logo which is contrary to the idea of archiving and preservation. Its the art equivalent of putting an intro in front of a game. They do have a lot of stuff scanned that no one else has, but defaced like that it's unusable from a historical perspective.

Just to let you know, this was done in the earlier days of Atarimania. Everything I scan now (and everyone else that I can see) is watermark-free. I try to replace any 8-bit watermarked stuff when I can. It's tough when it's a mostly a one-man-job. (I always appreciate the help.)

Allan

• Like 4

Yes, very true, RAMBO is a fiction figure, which is not real, but Allan is the real deal!

He has done APX:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Atari%20Program%20Exchange%20%28APX%29%20Software

nearly on his own, just for us!

=> we can't thank Allan enough.

All other are free to help him...

There are 3 major projects still:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Atari%20Learning%20System%20Software

is one of them...

• Like 5

For those who may be interested, there have been 32 downloads from Atari-Owner.com to date of the recently-updated archive— once again providing a demonstrable interest in the preservation of Atari 8-bit software!

Thank you to everyone involved in making such an archive available to the Atari 8-bit community!!

--Tim

Edited by Timothy Kline
  • Like 7

For those who may be interested, there have been 32 downloads from Atari-Owner.com to date of the recently-updated archive— once again providing a demonstrable interest in the preservation of Atari 8-bit software!

Thank you to everyone involved in making such an archive available to the Atari 8-bit community!!

--Tim

NM

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Would it make sense to pin this thread, or maybe create a separate sub-forum for preservation?

I'd love to see this board give preservation a more high-profile presence to spread the word to people who may be casually checking out the site.

• Like 1

If anyone's interested, there were 56 downloads of the 2019-03-15 archive in March from Atari-Owner. Of those downloads, it looks like 51 were the result of this AA thread in particular.

Whether that supports @toddtmw's suggestion to pin this topic, I'll leave to others to determine.

Too, others might choose to weigh in on how the torrent did last month to offer additional insight on reach/popularity.

--Tim

• Like 1

Too, others might choose to weigh in on how the torrent did last month to offer additional insight on reach/popularity.

Thanks for reporting the metrics. While it is interesting, I tend to view the level of contribution and participation as the gauge of reach/popularity rather than the number of downloads :P Without contributions, the project will die (or at least reach a state where no one cares about it anymore).

On that note, we have been seeing an uptick in contributions in the past couple of months so it's quite positive! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I put together a little Mac Shell Script. It takes a parameter (no spaces) and then uses that parameter to:

Kryoflux dump the disk to a folder with the same name

converts it to a .atx with the same name

zips the folder with the same name.zip.

It's not rocket science and it only took a couple of minutes, but thought I'd share in case anyone else finds it useful.

#!/bin/bash
echo $1
DTC -p -f$1/track_ -g0 -y -i0 -i2 -k2
./a8rawconv $1/track_00.0.raw $1.atx
zip -r $1.zip $1
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just a small update for everyone ;)

A group of people is working very hard at the moment to add many disk dumps and tape dumps. Farb is also testing some new functions for the website and a lot of new found games and releases are added to the database (on a8preservation.com).

At the moment it is a bit quiet in this topic. The reason for this, is that we are directly communicating outside AtariAge. I don't know when the new torrent will be available, but you can expect a lot of new preserved titles :)

If people want to help dumping tapes (wav files) and/or disks (with Kryoflux), please do!

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 8

An update to the online database would be greatly appreciated. It will assist me (and others) sort disks I have for mailing to farb based on:

1. Have never been archived. Even a protected copy made by happy or similar is better than nothing.

2. Only 1 original copy has been archived, and a 2nd copy is still needed for verification.

3. Has been archived + verified. Candidate to skip, but also could potentially be a variant still worth sending...

An update to the online database would be greatly appreciated.

The database that backs the a8preservation.com website is being actively kept up to date. So it should reflect the current state of things minus a few of the more recent contributions that haven't been processed yet.

The database that backs the a8preservation.com website is being actively kept up to date. So it should reflect the current state of things minus a few of the more recent contributions that haven't been processed yet.

Thanks for the clarification of my incorrect assumptions then! I'll get on figuring out what I have you can use then. :)

Thanks guys for updating us, it did look very quiet, glad to hear there's lots of work in the background and we can't thank all of you enough.

Will look forward for the the next torrent as I missed the last one whenever it turns up..

Paul..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Freddy:

This is Russ Campbell from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. My friend has come aross an incredible find at her place, it the entire 8 bit library from Kwest, TAF, and GTIA , I have a box of normal 90 K disks from that users group libray, maybe 120 disks, I hear you have a Kyroflux board, and I would like to know where I can get one for my backup purposes, or possibly send them to you for the same thing, preservation. Thanks ....

• Like 2

Hi Freddy:

This is Russ Campbell from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. My friend has come aross an incredible find at her place, it the entire 8 bit library from Kwest, TAF, and GTIA , I have a box of normal 90 K disks from that users group libray, maybe 120 disks, I hear you have a Kyroflux board, and I would like to know where I can get one for my backup purposes, or possibly send them to you for the same thing, preservation. Thanks ....

links to purchase the cards are in your initial thread.. I have given you a list of free software on up to actual cards/software for purchase ;)

Edited by _The Doctor__

Can I use APE on a 5.25 inch drive on my DOS 6.22 machine to dump these disks, none of them are copy protected, they are all flippies with 90 K formats from the original Atari 8 bit users group, and they look like they are in good condition. Russ Campbell

Can I use APE on a 5.25 inch drive on my DOS 6.22 machine to dump these disks, none of them are copy protected, they are all flippies with 90 K formats from the original Atari 8 bit users group, and they look like they are in good condition. Russ Campbell

Yes, you can dump them that way as well.

Doing so will require running the disk through the drive twice (once for each side). A Kryoflux setup like toddtmw and myself have can do it in one pass. Additionally, the Kryoflux will read each track 5 times so there's a better chance of recovering data from parts of the disks that may be starting to go bad.

If you do go down the route of dumping them yourself, be sure to check the drive head periodically for dirt and clean it if needed. One dirty disk dump can prevent subsequent disks from dumping correctly.

• Like 2

If you have APE and a sio2pc you can sector copy directly blank atr files on the the pc's hard drive, and if you are registered, you can use APE's pro system to make the disk images(atrs) directly from the atari sio drive to the pc's in the form of atr images as well. Please look through the links...

Farb: Are you closer to me than toddtmmw? I live in Kitcener, Ontario, Canada....ya I am thinking of getting someone else to do it rather than risk ruining the disks.....I also have a whole pile of original Atari ST disks that I can send for preservation.