Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

1536 replies to this topic

#1526 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,968 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:54 PM

How do I download a file from the preserved software list to a SD or micro SD?

Put your SD/microSD card into a reader attached to your computer. Unzip the A8 Software Preservation archived ZIP file. Select the file(s) from the archive that you want and copy them to your SD card.

#1527 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Moonsweeper

• 310 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:16 PM

I was obviously on the wrong website, I was here http://a8preservation.com!.What is the link to the archived files?

#1528 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Stargunner

• 1,039 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:19 PM

#1529 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 6,366 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:13 PM

For scanned art I would not recommend Atarimania. They deface a lot of their art with their site logo which is contrary to the idea of archiving and preservation. Its the art equivalent of putting an intro in front of a game. They do have a lot of stuff scanned that no one else has, but defaced like that it's unusable from a historical perspective.

Just to let you know, this was done in the earlier days of Atarimania. Everything I scan now (and everyone else that I can see) is watermark-free. I try to replace any 8-bit watermarked stuff when I can. It's tough when it's a mostly a one-man-job. (I always appreciate the help.)

Allan

#1530 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Stargunner

• 1,039 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:18 PM

Yes, very true, RAMBO is a fiction figure, which is not real, but Allan is the real deal!

He has done APX:

https://atariwiki.or... (APX) Software

nearly on his own, just for us!

=> we can't thank Allan enough.

All other are free to help him...

There are 3 major projects still:

https://atariwiki.or...System Software

is one of them...

#1531 Timothy Kline OFFLINE  

Timothy Kline

Moonsweeper

• 379 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:58 AM

For those who may be interested, there have been 32 downloads from Atari-Owner.com to date of the recently-updated archive— once again providing a demonstrable interest in the preservation of Atari 8-bit software!

Thank you to everyone involved in making such an archive available to the Atari 8-bit community!!

--Tim

Edited by Timothy Kline, Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 AM.

#1532 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,785 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:07 PM

For those who may be interested, there have been 32 downloads from Atari-Owner.com to date of the recently-updated archive— once again providing a demonstrable interest in the preservation of Atari 8-bit software!

Thank you to everyone involved in making such an archive available to the Atari 8-bit community!!

--Tim

NM

#1533 toddtmw OFFLINE  

toddtmw

Dragonstomper

• 554 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 6:32 AM

Hi. Would it make sense to pin this thread, or maybe create a separate sub-forum for preservation? 

I'd love to see this board give preservation a more high-profile presence to spread the word to people who may be casually checking out the site.

#1534 Timothy Kline OFFLINE  

Timothy Kline

Moonsweeper

• 379 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 6:59 AM

If anyone's interested, there were 56 downloads of the 2019-03-15 archive in March from Atari-Owner. Of those downloads, it looks like 51 were the result of this AA thread in particular. 

Whether that supports @toddtmw's suggestion to pin this topic, I'll leave to others to determine.

Too, others might choose to weigh in on how the torrent did last month to offer additional insight on reach/popularity.

--Tim

#1535 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,968 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:05 AM

I just messaged Albert about getting the thread pinned. We’ll see if he’s game. :)

#1536 Farb OFFLINE  

Farb

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 717 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:22 AM

Too, others might choose to weigh in on how the torrent did last month to offer additional insight on reach/popularity.

Thanks for reporting the metrics. While it is interesting, I tend to view the level of contribution and participation as the gauge of reach/popularity rather than the number of downloads  :P Without contributions, the project will die (or at least reach a state where no one cares about it anymore).

On that note, we have been seeing an uptick in contributions in the past couple of months so it's quite positive!  :thumbsup:

#1537 toddtmw OFFLINE  

toddtmw

Dragonstomper

• 554 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 9:52 AM

I put together a little Mac Shell Script. It takes a parameter (no spaces) and then uses that parameter to:

Kryoflux dump the disk to a folder with the same name

converts it to a .atx with the same name

zips the folder with the same name.zip.

It's not rocket science and it only took a couple of minutes, but thought I'd share in case anyone else finds it useful.

#!/bin/bash
echo $1
DTC -p -f$1/track_ -g0 -y -i0 -i2 -k2
./a8rawconv $1/track_00.0.raw $1.atx
zip -r $1.zip $1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users