IGNORED

Atari 7800 ports vs Xbox/Playstation complilations?

thetallguy24

I have a 7800 with a small collection of games, but I've been looking at getting some compilations for my Xbox 360 like Atari Anthology and Midway Arcade Treasures. Since its not feasible to actually get all of those physical arcades, which would you prefer? Playing the true arcade versions on a 360 or Playstation with those controllers, or sticking to the ports for the 7800, but you can use the joystick, paddles, or trak ball?

I think the graphics and sound of the arcade versions are what make the compilations attractive, but there's just something better about using the Atari controllers. Unless there's a way to use Atari controllers on an Xbox lol

Thoughts?

Edited by thetallguy24

I first went bananas and got all the arcade ports I could find. I still have several (notably the Taito and Capcom ones), but I've been less inclined to continue getting them. There's a charm about the home ports that I just absolutely love. If I were to play the arcade ports, I may as well just use MAME, since these discs are only just emulated versions.

Speaking of which, I'm putting up my Atari Anthology (PS2) for sale soon. I just find myself playing home versions more. It feels more natural.

• Like 1

I've started to enjoy playing the ports to the old 80s consoles more than the collection versions, at least for the games from the golden age of arcades. There are a few exceptions, though. For instance, Galaga is vastly better as an emulated collection version than playing the 7800 version.

I've started to enjoy playing the ports to the old 80s consoles more than the collection versions, at least for the games from the golden age of arcades. There are a few exceptions, though. For instance, Galaga is vastly better as an emulated collection version than playing the 7800 version.

The NES version is a good alternative to the 7800 version. Still not arcade perfect, but very good regardless.

Since its not feasible to actually get all of those physical arcades, which would you prefer? Playing the true arcade versions on a 360 or Playstation with those controllers, or sticking to the ports for the 7800, but you can use the joystick, paddles, or trak ball?

I think the graphics and sound of the arcade versions are what make the compilations attractive, but there's just something better about using the Atari controllers. Unless there's a way to use Atari controllers on an Xbox lol

Thoughts?

If I'm going just for the original arcade version, then it's MAME all the way, of course, along with my HotRod SE and/or X-Arcade Trackball. Although admittedly, I do have several arcade ports downloaded to my 360...The PS3 I have just has modern day titles.

However, I love playing arcade ports under the 7800 for both seeing how close it comes to the Arcade original and the 7800 unique flavor/spin to the game.

Undoubtedly, there's always that rush of nostalgia that comes with playing any console (port) I own. Then again, there's another similar nostalgia with bringing up the Arcade original under MAME. It's cool too to see some modernization or enhancements of Arcade originals...Besides 360/PS3, there's always RAINE and it's DX acquired lineup for stuff similar to that as well.

I think it's just great having all the options, possibilities, and being able to scratch whatever itch comes up. For me, the preference is whatever I'm feeling like at the time. :)

The 7800 has some amazing arcade ports, even more so since Bob, Ken, and Perry have ported or/and updated some of the most memorable and best Arcade games to the 7800. Extremely grateful for that, and looking forward to some more great arcade ports, spins on the original classics, or completely new titles being brought to the 7800.

The NES version is a good alternative to the 7800 version. Still not arcade perfect, but very good regardless.

100% agree. To say the least, when I'm playing the 7800 port, it has to be the Expert setting. The 7800 has a very good port of the game. However, the NES, IMHO, edges out the 7800 version. If an update was done for the 7800 which ups the default difficulty to Arcade levels, a few improvememts to the graphics (Particularly, your player's ship), and narrows the width of the playfield (My biggest gripe with the game), the 7800 could have the best version of Galaga. Until then, I would have to give that honor to the NES.

• Like 1

....so Trebor about Galaga .... you were saying that if Galaga 7800 looked less like Galaga 7800 but more like the Arcade version then it could possibly be the best version ..... hmmm..... likely we should also fix the sound.... but then it wouldn't be the 7800 version anymore.

Btw the Atari 7800 sound in the vast majority of ports is .... should I say .... "abrasive" ..... Mario Bros is pretty good in the gfx dept but the sound is .... ouch!!!

My opinion is that if you like the Arcade versions play those [i mean the more faithful collections/conversions you can find], as there's always some f.ck up in all the ports that sours the experience one way or another, and then you wish you played the real deal so that the nostalgia factor is more real [this excludes games where the controller was part of the gimmick, for those there's little to do sometimes, check Street Fighter {the First} with pressure sensitive punch buttons ... yeahhh really you punched them .... hard]

Now there are modern ports for 7800 that are pretty good but then again it's 25Y later and given they try to be as Arcade perfect as possible might as well play the Arcade port if available on a modern hardware (controllers are much more comfortable) .... obviously if you are a fan of the 7800 or personally like those brave souls that make those jewels by any means go get those (Bob's work is always something to behold).

Edited by phoenixdownita

What would you say are the best ported versions for the 7800?

What would you suggest as the better alternatives for the NES?

If I'm going just for the original arcade version, then it's MAME all the way, of course, along with my HotRod SE and/or X-Arcade Trackball. Although admittedly, I do have several arcade ports downloaded to my 360...The PS3 I have just has modern day titles.

However, I love playing arcade ports under the 7800 for both seeing how close it comes to the Arcade original and the 7800 unique flavor/spin to the game.

Undoubtedly, there's always that rush of nostalgia that comes with playing any console (port) I own. Then again, there's another similar nostalgia with bringing up the Arcade original under MAME. It's cool too to see some modernization or enhancements of Arcade originals...Besides 360/PS3, there's always RAINE and it's DX acquired lineup for stuff similar to that as well.

I think it's just great having all the options, possibilities, and being able to scratch whatever itch comes up. For me, the preference is whatever I'm feeling like at the time. :)

The 7800 has some amazing arcade ports, even more so since Bob, Ken, and Perry have ported or/and updated some of the most memorable and best Arcade games to the 7800. Extremely grateful for that, and looking forward to some more great arcade ports, spins on the original classics, or completely new titles being brought to the 7800.

100% agree. To say the least, when I'm playing the 7800 port, it has to be the Expert setting. The 7800 has a very good port of the game. However, the NES, IMHO, edges out the 7800 version. If an update was done for the 7800 which ups the default difficulty to Arcade levels, a few improvememts to the graphics (Particularly, your player's ship), and narrows the width of the playfield (My biggest gripe with the game), the 7800 could have the best version of Galaga. Until then, I would have to give that honor to the NES.

Since those two arcade controllers are crazy expensive, is there anything comparable to the Atari controllers that can be used on the Xbox? It would be awesome to be able to play the arcade versions of Warlords with the Atari paddles.

Centipede, Asteroids, Choplifter, Food Fight, Joust, Ms. Pac-Man, Robotron: 2084, and that's not including homebrew.

What would you suggest as the better alternatives for the NES?

An actual Galaga cab. NES Galaga isn't arcade perfect, but it's excellent in its own right. 7800 follows it, but trails behind a bit.

I first went bananas and got all the arcade ports I could find. I still have several (notably the Taito and Capcom ones), but I've been less inclined to continue getting them. There's a charm about the home ports that I just absolutely love. If I were to play the arcade ports, I may as well just use MAME, since these discs are only just emulated versions.

Same with me. I've gotten rid of most of my compilation carts/discs since I rarely played them. I would rather play 2600 or 7800 asteroids than the arcade original. It's not that I dislike arcade asteroids, I love it. I just love the home ports a lot more. As you mentioned, there is a charm, even in the crude 2600 ports of games like Donkey Kong and Centipede which I really enjoy. Space Invaders for me is a perfect example of a home port surpassing the arcade original.

Mame and a good usb joystick is fine for the originals. Short of buying actual arcade cabinets, it's the best alternative for me

Since those two arcade controllers are crazy expensive, is there anything comparable to the Atari controllers that can be used on the Xbox? It would be awesome to be able to play the arcade versions of Warlords with the Atari paddles.

This would possibly be a great option for what you're looking for, if the Xbox can read anything a standard PC/USB port recognizes, and whatever you're using for running Warlords under the Xbox contains likewise support.

This would possibly be a great option for what you're looking for, if the Xbox can read anything a standard PC/USB port recognizes, and whatever you're using for running Warlords under the Xbox contains likewise support.

Unfortunately, none of the Xbox's work like that. The PS3 and PS4 can usually interpret USB controllers, but it's still highly variable.

I'd rather play Pac-Man Collection on the 7800 than any of the same games on the various collections. The same goes for Super Pac.

Astro Blaster is better on the 7800 than it is playing it on the PSP.

I'd rather play Centipede on any of the old Atari systems than the versions on the PS1 or PS2.

Whether I prefer Space Duel on the 7800 or a modern system depends on if I'm in the mood for the tether bar.

Joust and Robotron are a bit iffy. If I had a controller coupler for Atari sticks, the 7800 version would be my go to version of that game. Joust is pretty much equally fun wherever I play it.

In any event, it's quicker to power up and play any of the old games on the 7800 compared to loading them up on the modern systems. I can probably play a complete (although poor) game of Centipede on the 7800 in the time it takes to merely reach the game select menu on Atari Anthology.