IGNORED

How do you repair lifted TRACES?

tonyankyfan1

Also, can try using a conductive pen if the traces are gone partially gone. If the traces are still there, just lifted from the board, can lay back down and all is fine assuming the solder joints point to point are intact.

what can i use to lay them back down, anotherwords to keep them in place??? The trace gets connected from one IC chip to the other, When i was pulling chip up from board, it was connected to chip leg, i didnt see it until i yanked which started to peel them back off from PCB..

what can i use to lay them back down, anotherwords to keep them in place??? The trace gets connected from one IC chip to the other, When i was pulling chip up from board, it was connected to chip leg, i didnt see it until i yanked which started to peel them back off from PCB..

Depends on how bad the lifting is or if you really care the way it looks. The trace doesn't *need* to be attached to the board per se… so long as it's connected well between components. Again, depends on how long, wide, etc. the trace is. I find most of the time, while holding the trace down with a tiny flat blade, heat up the solder joints and it'll stay put. Otherwise, a dab of Super Glue or silicone will keep it held down if being stubborn.

IF you're talking about the solder pad lifting from the board, that's an entirely different matter, since now, you no longer have a connection between the component and the trace. In those cases, I'd bridge the components with fine wire OR if the trace is close enough (as in REAL close), sand away a little of the dielectric "paint" (usually green, but can be red, tan, etc.) so you see silver and bridge the gap with solder.

*Agree about the conductive pen in most cases, but threw it out there in the event it might have helped with his particular scenario. :)

In the past I've had luck just laying them back down and applying clear fingernail polish over the traces to hold them down and protect them. It's a little unconventional, but it works.

being a component level repair tech since the late 80's, I totally agree with this suggestion if the lifted trace isn't damaged.

also to repair a damaged trace I suggest cutting the trace at the point where it started to pull away from the board and then use a jumper

wire to replace the broken trace. removing the lifted trace will keep it from shorting out against another connection.

• Like 1