Magic Knight!

19 replies to this topic

#1 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• 5,805 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:56 PM

So, this just needs a soundtrack - there are no SFX that I can tell?  Anyone fancy be creative (and helpful) and converting the music into a .MOD file?

Storm-1.png Storm-2.png Storm-3.png Storm-4.png

#2 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

***Moon Patrol 5200*** *Moon Master2015* *Blue Max:Class 4*

• 7,781 posts
  • *Star Raiders 2* **Captain -CL 2**

Posted Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:06 PM

What format is the music in now?

Edited by doctorclu, Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:07 PM.

#3 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

• 7,781 posts

Posted Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:14 PM

Hit a couple of sites...

http://en.wikipedia....er_(video_game)

In game music was composed by David Whittaker

http://en.wikipedia...._game_composer)

The music might possibly have it's own ".dw" formatted music files...

http://www.filedesc.com/en/file/dw

Are you able to extract the .dw music files?   Looking at this last page there seem to be ways of converting the .dw music files to .xm or even .mod files.

Edited by doctorclu, Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:21 PM.

#4 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,805 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:01 PM

As far as I can tell, there's no way to turn those into MOD files :/

#5 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

• 7,781 posts

Posted Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:36 PM

If you have an a music file from it I can tinker with it.  :D

#6 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• 2,667 posts

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:55 AM

That looks awesome!

#7 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,805 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:44 AM

Another one done

#8 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• 2,667 posts

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:48 AM

Evening planned :D cheers CJ

#9 Zerosquare OFFLINE  

Zerosquare

River Patroller

• 2,779 posts

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:33 AM

http://www.exotica.o...ttaker_(format)
Couldn't find a file format description, but there's a Linux player, maybe the sources could be helpful...

EDIT: no dice. The player appears to run the original music code in an lightweight Amiga emulator based on UAE (like SNDH players do, basically). So the only way to convert this seems to be reverse-engineering the binary.

Edited by Zerosquare, Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:39 AM.

#10 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• 2,667 posts

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:05 PM

Aside from hearing the audio cockups in the playback (my bad sorry :) ) it seems the item selection menu when you try to interact with an object is either not being rendered or behind the other pages.  It does seem to pop up in the background when you select something and there is another dialog.  So perhaps it's rendering to a different screen or something?

#11 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,805 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:08 PM

Fixed!

The code in this is all over the place, there's no central sync or update routine, they're just scattered around as needed - this makes 11 of them :)  Hopefully there are no more.

#12 Papa OFFLINE  

Papa

Dragonstomper

• 751 posts

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:23 PM

Awesome sauce!!

#13 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,805 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:38 PM

It wasn't.  Found 4 more....

Now you can wear stuff, and examine things, and the lightning works (so you don't mysteriously die from 'cloud above head syndrome' lol)

#14 omf OFFLINE  

omf

Dragonstomper

• 793 posts

Posted Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:22 PM

i dont know this game but it looks similar to dizzy????

speaking of dizzy, any chance of converting magicland dizzy or any dizzy apart from a ponsey version like bubble dizzy? that would be excellent

i could donate some cash to the reboot cause for this ;)

#15 walter_J64bit OFFLINE  

walter_J64bit

Quadrunner

• 5,217 posts

Posted Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:46 PM

Too bad this game didn't sound FX, this the not first ST that I know that don't have sound FX "Final Fight" :-D  this looks like fun game to play.

#16 Felyx OFFLINE  

Felyx

Dragonstomper

• 626 posts
  • Location:Angers, France, Europe, planet Earth, Solar System, Universe

Posted Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:01 AM

Below are some deco for the CD-R and its DVD box:

The DVD box sleeve: pptQ.jpg

The CD-R cover: tJv5.jpg

Enjoy :)

#17 Andrew Shore OFFLINE  

Andrew Shore

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2016 3:12 PM

Interestingly this wasn't the final version of the game. The final version had the sound effects in and also the banner at the top of the screen displayed articles from the "local newspaper" which  contained clues to the game, the save game issue was also fixed. In a rush to get the game out for the new Mastertronic ST budget range the none finished version was sent to manufacturing by mistake.

Originally the ST version was commissioned by Maxwell Technology, a short lived games company spun up by an ex-mastertronic director and David Jones the original Spectrum magic knight programmer. After a short legal discussion between mastertronic and Maxwell technology it appeared that Mastertronic did own the right to all formats, unfortunately they wanted the game completing in a very short window, 6 weeks.

They then commissioned the other two games in the series but after realising they had release the last game first they killed off plans to release the other two, even though the 1st one was almost complete.

The code is a little scrappy, not only was it done in a hell of a hurry but it was the first major 68000 project i had taken on.

I can't believe this is still around almost 30 years later, keep up the good work :)

#18 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,805 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2016 3:16 PM

Interestingly this wasn't the final version of the game. The final version had the sound effects in and also the banner at the top of the screen displayed articles from the "local newspaper" which  contained clues to the game, the save game issue was also fixed. In a rush to get the game out for the new Mastertronic ST budget range the none finished version was sent to manufacturing by mistake.

Originally the ST version was commissioned by Maxwell Technology, a short lived games company spun up by an ex-mastertronic director and David Jones the original Spectrum magic knight programmer. After a short legal discussion between mastertronic and Maxwell technology it appeared that Mastertronic did own the right to all formats, unfortunately they wanted the game completing in a very short window, 6 weeks.

They then commissioned the other two games in the series but after realising they had release the last game first they killed off plans to release the other two, even though the 1st one was almost complete.

The code is a little scrappy, not only was it done in a hell of a hurry but it was the first major 68000 project i had taken on.

I can't believe this is still around almost 30 years later, keep up the good work :)

Hey Andrew!  Thank you for posting that :)

Any other games of yours you'd like me to take a stab at Jaguar ports?

#19 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,472 posts

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2016 3:21 PM

Also, the ST version along with boxscans etc can be found here

#20 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,805 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2016 11:54 PM

Andrew, I don't suppose you still have the fixed final version anywhere?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users