IGNORED

Not quite Dactyl

CyranoJ

• 1 month later...

Great job Cyrano! Question for anyone: I have Windows 10 on all 3 of my machines which made my rom splitter program (Romsplit) for Jaguar games no longer work. Can anyone be so kind as to split the rom for me please? Or, I've never used Jiffi before to split Roms, but it will work on Windows 10....but I don't see an option to split the rom in it. Anyone have any experience on how to do this in Windows 10?

Edit: Figured out how to split in Windows 10: using DosBox, setup a link to the folder containing Romsplit and the rom. Then, type in the command as usual, all good :)

Edited by bender3455
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I finally amassed the forces to get my Jaguar ROMs in order and make boards/chips for them. Hilariously, what got me started on all the hardware hacking I am doing right now was the fact that I wanted to play the ROMs that CJ was making for the ST-->Jag ports. I had gotten all of the hardware/software set up for it, but the search for all of that got me hooked on A8 (800/XL/XE) stuff and, since that was the computer love of life, I went down that portal . . . re-created the R-Time8 cart . . . yadda yadda yadda and finally tonight played Joust (with music/sound) on the Jaguar!

It is nicely done. However, I think the coolest thing is the high score save. I have a test board with a ZIF socket on it to test after I burn the ROMs so I can test them and then solder them to a board. This way I know they work before I solder the chips in and if it doesn't work after words, I probably have a bad board and not a bad burn. Well, it just so happens that with Joust, I had tested it, then moved it to a new (de-soldered) board and soldered it in but it would not work. Sooooo, I burned a new set of chips (I had already put the de-solder setup to bed and it was just easier to burn a new set of chips). When I went to test the new chips on my test board, MY HIGH SCORE SHOWED UP/ I *know* this is a small thing, but I giggled like a little boy and it just made my night knowing that CJ had not just made a port, but put a little more into making a few extra things work.

tl;dr: Nicely done. Very nicely done and thank you!

• Like 5

I have a test board with a ZIF socket on it to test after I burn the ROMs so I can test them and then solder them to a board. This way I know they work before I solder the chips in and if it doesn't work after words, I probably have a bad board and not a bad burn. Well, it just so happens that with Joust, I had tested it, then moved it to a new (de-soldered) board and soldered it in but it would not work.

I do the same thing. It's surprising how many boards just don't work. Last batch of 20 had failure rate of 10% (2). Don't throw the chips away. Resolder from the bad board and reuse them.

• Like 1

So, I finally amassed the forces to get my Jaguar ROMs in order and make boards/chips for them. Hilariously, what got me started on all the hardware hacking I am doing right now was the fact that I wanted to play the ROMs that CJ was making for the ST-->Jag ports. I had gotten all of the hardware/software set up for it, but the search for all of that got me hooked on A8 (800/XL/XE) stuff and, since that was the computer love of life, I went down that portal . . . re-created the R-Time8 cart . . . yadda yadda yadda and finally tonight played Joust (with music/sound) on the Jaguar!

It is nicely done. However, I think the coolest thing is the high score save. I have a test board with a ZIF socket on it to test after I burn the ROMs so I can test them and then solder them to a board. This way I know they work before I solder the chips in and if it doesn't work after words, I probably have a bad board and not a bad burn. Well, it just so happens that with Joust, I had tested it, then moved it to a new (de-soldered) board and soldered it in but it would not work. Sooooo, I burned a new set of chips (I had already put the de-solder setup to bed and it was just easier to burn a new set of chips). When I went to test the new chips on my test board, MY HIGH SCORE SHOWED UP/ I *know* this is a small thing, but I giggled like a little boy and it just made my night knowing that CJ had not just made a port, but put a little more into making a few extra things work.

tl;dr: Nicely done. Very nicely done and thank you!

High score saves work? Nice! Did not know that.

I do the same thing. It's surprising how many boards just don't work. Last batch of 20 had failure rate of 10% (2). Don't throw the chips away. Resolder from the bad board and reuse them.

Yap, I have had two board failures out of 10 so far. The blank ones B & C sells are far more reliable and MUCH less work, but definitely not as inexpensive in terms of dollars spent.

I literally desoldered the chips and plugged them into a new board and they worked first try.

I was going to reply that I didn't do that but I went back and checked the source code and apparently I did. *shrug* lol.

Awesome, you did get the high score saves working afteral. Next time I get a Joust cart made I'll make sure it has a eeprom. :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully they had it switched to something other than the bland ST sounds. Game rom has every sound grouping from all the Atari systems and the arcade.

Atari Lynx was really close to the arcade.

• Like 1

Hopefully they had it switched to something other than the bland ST sounds. Game rom has every sound grouping from all the Atari systems and the arcade.

Atari Lynx was really close to the arcade.

I'm not sure: The guy next to me was blasting out the Xevious sounds! There was also some sort of VG related hiphop act on stage behind me.

Sensory overload, but lots of fun!