IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

I remember when widescreen TVs first came out. At first most television channels were still broadcasting a 4:3 standard picture. Most people used their televisions to stretch the image to fit their widescreens making everything look fatter than it should. They preferred to watch a distorted image than have empty space on the sides of their picture. I never understood it but that's what most people did.

now thats different. I watch tv in its original format. I hated watching tv at peoples houses who did that. Everyone had fat but syndrome.
  • Like 1

I had my flashback turned into the ultimate flashback and I am thrilled with it. The picture and sound quality are great. It is awesome to be able to use this on my new tv with an hdmi cable. If you are thinking about doing it I would highly recommend it. The service was very fast and Byte Knight was very quick to respond to my email questions.

• Like 1

This is a really sweet upgrade. I mean it lets you load just about what ever rom you have onto the device. It has great graphics & sound. It's not just the hardware that's upgraded, he also loads it with some additional homebrew games that were not on the original flash back. I guess the main difference would be for the hardware purists (snobs lol) out there, who must play on original intellivision hardware. Since I don't have a cuttle cart or something similar, this is the way to go. It allows me to play my purchased roms and provides a beautiful interface for doing so. BYTE KNIGHT graciously answered all my questions and even repaired my unit from an issue I created. Let's just say I somehow fried the thing and BYTE KNIGHT repaired it for me FREE of charge. That's the kind of service he provides. If you were ever on the fence about purchasing this service, I hope this helps you to make up your mind. As for the game play I find that I am now playing games that I would not normally play and it has been a blast. Again the graphics are crisp and clean (w/ no caffeine) and it sounds great.

I actually posted a related video on my channel on youtube if anyone would like more information about the Ultimate Flashback upgrade service, setting up the wifi or loading roms onto the unit using the USB dongle (my experience):

• Like 2

Do you need just the FB case, or everything within it?

Just the FB itself - no need to ship the controllers or power supply. Full ordering info is in the first post of this thread.

Let me clarify my question: Do you want the 'empty' FB case? Do I remove the FB internal board, or will that be returned once you install the Pi and new innards?

Let me clarify my question: Do you want the 'empty' FB case? Do I remove the FB internal board, or will that be returned once you install the Pi and new innards?

Ok, I gotcha - leave the innards in since I tie into the original wiring. I can send the original PCB back if you want.

I was hoping this was just a mod to fix the very broken Tower of Doom =(

That would be sweet, but I doubt it's something that concerns AtGames. Doesn't even look like they bothered with an IntelliVision FB 2.0 this year.

Well, it actually does fix Tower of Doom.

• Like 1

I was thinking more along the lines of something inexpensive that just fixes that one game, as opposed to turning the entire unit into a casemod for a Raspberry Pi ;)

Plus I would lose composite video, and I can't use HDMI.

It's a neat idea, though.

I was thinking more along the lines of something inexpensive that just fixes that one game, as opposed to turning the entire unit into a casemod for a Raspberry Pi ;)

Plus I would lose composite video, and I can't use HDMI.

It's a neat idea, though.

you can have it do composite. It has a jack for it. I modded one for someone with an hdmi port and rca's for composite on the back of the pi. Edited by pimpmaul69

I believe the Raspberry Pi 2 has composite video out, so an easy change to his standard mod may be doable.

I am curious if both can be added at the same time, so customers can choose how to connect to the TV.

But if you are just wanting one game to be fixed, then this is a bit overkill.

But this mod would allow you to expand the game selection by adding additional ROMs for the various homebrews that are available. And there are other ROMs available out there, such as, if you have Intellivision Lives CD, for example.

I believe the Raspberry Pi 2 has composite video out, so an easy change to his standard mod may be doable.

I am curious if both can be added at the same time, so customers can choose how to connect to the TV.

But this mod would allow you to expand the game selection by adding additional ROMs for the various homebrews that are available. And there are other ROMs available out there, such as, if you have Intellivision Lives CD, for example.

yes you can do both.

post-30773-0-88736000-1451670703_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

It would just be a matter of me drilling another hole in the back of the FB if someone requests this.

Yeah, maybe a little bit ;) I'd prefer to just make an adapter to use the controllers on my PC...or heck, maybe one of these days just get started on a real ITV collection.

But for now at least I can play that game on my DS.