IGNORED

UDS-10 Arrived. Connection issues.

wyerd

Firstly, The UDS-10 is on the LAN and can be seen and connected to via Telnet.

I've followed Omega's manual and loaded Telco to try at least to connect to the Heatwave BBS before trying Stuarts Browser, but I'm having issues.

Telco loads fine from the HxC once I stripped it from the original disk image to the format that could be read. I then configured the UDS-10 as explained in Omega's manual and connected the CorComp card in the PEB to the UDS-10 using a rewired null modem cable as shown again in Omega's Manual.

When I select the Terminal option from the main menu, I get a flashing cursor, but nothing happens when I try to enter the dial string commands. Also, the CorComp RS232 lights don't come on, but they do when I use the Diagnostics option 3 from the EX Basic 2.7 Cart.

Obviously I doing something wrong, or something's not working as it should. I'd be grateful for any help and pointers.

Thanks,

David.

Hi Wyerd,

I'm just about to leave the house so I don't have a lot of time to get detailed, but ensure the following settings on the UDS-10 from your telnet connection from the PC.

ON THE UDS-10

Baud Rate 2400

IFMODE 4C

Flow 02

Connect D6

You might want to set your port setting to 23 instead of 10001 (I'll explain why later after you get all setup and running)

IN TELCO

Under terminal setup make sure the "Q" option for baudrate is set to 2400.

Under the "R" option make sure it's set to 8N1

If you do not have your BAUD RATE set to match in TELCO, the UDS-10 will not 'hear' the TI to communicate, although you *MAY* get some junk characters on the screen. If the baud rate and ever thing is set properly, as a test, you can try to telnet over your local network to the PC is the communication dead both ways or does the data flow to the PC but not to the TI?

GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

Thanks for info. I configured the UDS-10 to your settings and then performed the following:-

Telnet running on PC to IP address of UDS-10

Press a key in the terminal session on TI, nothing is shown on TI terminal screen, but get square character in the Terminal window on PC.

Press a key in the terminal session on PCI, character shown on PC Terminal session, but nothing on the TI.

At least something's happening!

I would double check the pins are correct, usually when you cannot input any characters from the terminal, usually Pins 2 and 3 are reversed.

On the TI pins 2 and 3 are reversed than what the standard modem pinouts are.

You should be able to get it to work simply with :

TI UDS

2 <----------------------------- 3

3 ------------------------------> 2

5 -------------------------------> 4

7 -------------------------------- 7

20 <------------------------------- 5

• Like 1

I seem to remember that there are a few subtle differences between the CorComp RS-232 and the TI or Myarc cards. That may be causing the issues here as well--but I don't remember what the issues were right now, just that they existed.

Hmmm, I just learned something new. I was unaware of any functional differences.

Yes, I have also registered that differences between TI- and Corcomp-Card when trying to connect the HDX

at least, when I (while desperatly testing essential RS232-connect withTelCo), I got an echo on the PC from the TI writing,

but I did not with the CorComp (in the same cable- and mood-constellation).

First, I thought that my (never tested) Corcomp passed away, but I can remeber, days later,

with one of my 100 cables, the CorComp ones echoes....

So this was also my conclusion, in fact, that there must be a "difference".

(The only other option in this situation was to get mad and jump out of the windows, (incl. CorComp :)

If you have FB, here are some toxic Desperado-fotos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.327976140727679.1073741832.326551627536797&type=3

• Like 3

I would double check the pins are correct, usually when you cannot input any characters from the terminal, usually Pins 2 and 3 are reversed.

On the TI pins 2 and 3 are reversed than what the standard modem pinouts are.

You should be able to get it to work simply with :

TI UDS

2 <----------------------------- 3

3 ------------------------------> 2

5 -------------------------------> 4

7 -------------------------------- 7

20 <------------------------------- 5

I have the cable wired up as follows

TI
1-Black
2-Red
3-Brown
5-White
7-Blue
20-Green

UDS-10
1-Black
2-Brown
3-Red
4-White
5-Green
7-Blue

TI-UDS
 2-3
 3-2
 5-4
 7-7
 2-5

So it looks right.

I seem to remember that there are a few subtle differences between the CorComp RS-232 and the TI or Myarc cards. That may be causing the issues here as well--but I don't remember what the issues were right now, just that they existed.

Just my luck! :mad:

When you bought the UDS10 and if it came with all the box candy then you should have a 25 pin to 9 pin modem cable.

If you have a PC with a communication port you can always hook it up there just to make sure you issue the AT commands and that it is functioning to help rule out your RS232 card.

Edited by Cschneider

When you bought the UDS10 and if it came with all the box candy then you should have a 25 pin to 9 pin modem cable.

If you have a PC with a communication port you can always hook it up there just to make sure you issue the AT commands and that it is functioning to help rule out your RS232 card.

Yes it did, but none of my highly modern PCs with USB3, Sata3 have errrrrr serial ports, not even headers. I might have an old motherboard somewhere though with the header port and a cable in my box of "might be useful someday" old junk.