Photo

Modern or Classic, time to pick your poison

59 replies to this topic

Poll: Modern or Classic, Time to pick your poison. (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Modern or Classic. Choose a side and tell us why.

1. Classic (1975 to 1995) (77 votes [86.52%])

Percentage of vote: 86.52%

2. Modern (1995 to 2015) (12 votes [13.48%])

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• 18,988 posts
  • So Below

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:01 PM

So the time has come to pick a side. Classic or Modern. It's gonna be that cut and dry.

#2 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,671 posts

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:06 PM

That was easy! Absolutely no contest.  ;) 

#3 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 18,988 posts
  • So Below

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:12 PM

That was easy! Absolutely no contest.   ;)

Was an easy call for me as well but there will be many who are torn on which one they truly favor I'm sure. Odds are there will be some who find it just as easy to pick modern too!

#4 Rhomaios OFFLINE  

Rhomaios

Stargunner

• 1,733 posts

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:14 PM

Classic > Modern

2D > 3D

Action games > "interactive movies"

Simple.

I see that votes are hidden this time. Are people afraid of coming out as a modern gamer. ;)

#5 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 11,286 posts

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:14 PM

That was easy! Absolutely no contest.   ;)

:D

#6 xucaen ONLINE  

xucaen

Stargunner

• 1,337 posts
  • Back from the flood, looking to buy more games!

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:16 PM

ataricatalogart.jpg

#7 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 18,988 posts
  • So Below

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:17 PM

Classic > Modern

2D > 3D

Action games > "interactive movies"

Simple.

I see that votes are hidden this time. Are people afraid of coming out as a modern gamer. ;)

I just didn't click the option. It was totally by chance.

#8 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 18,988 posts
  • So Below

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:18 PM

:D

Looks like that one has the audio removed but your intent is well received none the less.

#9 Nathan Strum ONLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 8,401 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:14 PM

There was gaming after 1995 1985?

#10 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 18,988 posts
  • So Below

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:25 PM

Now and then.

#11 Hyperboy OFFLINE  

Hyperboy

River Patroller

• 3,421 posts

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:39 PM

My sentiments exactly!

#12 TheObscureGamer OFFLINE  

TheObscureGamer

Moonsweeper

• 393 posts

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:16 PM

Why does modern start at 1995? theres no way that the PS1 is modern To me modern starts at the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era.

#13 fdurso224 OFFLINE  

fdurso224

Quadrunner

• 16,988 posts
  • Hello, my name is Anthony!

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:45 PM

Hi guys,

Classic for me! As a Neo-Geo fan (as many know by now)! You know I;m down with it!

Anthony...

#14 Rhomaios OFFLINE  

Rhomaios

Stargunner

• 1,733 posts

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 PM

Why does modern start at 1995? theres no way that the PS1 is modern To me modern starts at the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era.

That's because you're so young. You were born when the PS1 was released. 3D was really the big break between modern and classic gameplay.

#15 Crazy Climber OFFLINE  

Crazy Climber

Crazy Climberer

• 12,174 posts
  • Metamuciler

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:54 PM

I like classic because it is who I am...

I like modern because it keeps me relevant...

#16 Marcks73 OFFLINE  

Marcks73

Chopper Commander

• 147 posts

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:01 PM

Simple to me, CLASSIC. Why? Simple again, games had that genuine feel to them, many games or series felt fresh an innovative. Modern? Feels rehashed all the time, rarely does any game nowadays get me excited, sure some are great fun, but not as the good old days of gaming!

Surely for any of us over 35 feel exactly the same, it was the years of wonder and imagination, gaming at it's best!

#17 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 22,095 posts

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:02 PM

The classics without a doubt. for many reasons.

They have little or no DLC & DRM, they are simple to get into, they can be emulated easily. They are timeless on so many levels (no pun intended). They are colorful. They made use of your imagination. They had character and personality. Each game stood on its own. They were creative!

Many were born from that philosophy as art and exploration of a new medium. Fast forward to today, and every game has to be this huge multi-billion dollar franchise laden with DRM and DLC and constant updating. Consider back - in the day whoever heard of a Tempest franchise for example? Games were one-off and unique then.

Everything today has to be "marketing safe" meaning it has to at least sound like it will be a hit and something the public knows about. Anything too different is bound to fail - in the marketing departments.

Modern consoles have too many updates. And they are network dependent. Internet required. Sometimes it takes an hour to complete a firmware and/or game code update. And some of it is forced on you. Furthermore when the servers go down either temporarily or permanently, you can't play! Games in the cloud and based on information retrieved from the cloud Old classics aren't saddled with the bullshit. And you don't have to worry about passwords and maintaining any kind of account information.

New games aren't really groundbreaking except for the graphics. And the emphasis is firmly there instead of the gameplay mechanics.

In other news:

While not game related, this little dust-up illustrates one of the many problems of online activations & subscriptions. Just the other day my wife had to setup a new HDD on her system and Microsoft spent 4 hours trying to remotely process an Office Activation & Product Key. Never did get it working. It seemed the MS agent didn't know the difference between a ProductKey and a PIN. Since Microsoft was unable to figure out their own DRM schemes she got so flustered and switched over to LibreOffice.

It's just like with modern games. Office has become bloated with so many features you need a doctorate to figure it out. And need to attend a seminar every time a new version is released. Just to re-learn how to do what you already know - because some smartass thinks change for change' sake is innovation! Bullshit!

If this was old school material she'd have had everything operational inside 1/2 hour.

Edited by Keatah, Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:16 PM.

#18 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 22,095 posts

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:24 PM

I like classic because it is who I am...

I like modern because it keeps me relevant...

With respect..

Modern isn't all that relevant. Today's contemporary games come and go like nameless people in a festival crowd.. Out of everything on the market, I only play 2 modern games on a regular basis. The rest just kinda flies over my head. Ffftthhheeeeuuumm.

#19 Crazy Climber OFFLINE  

Crazy Climber

Crazy Climberer

• 12,174 posts
  • Metamuciler

Posted Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:10 AM

With respect..

Modern isn't all that relevant. Today's contemporary games come and go like nameless people in a festival crowd.. Out of everything on the market, I only play 2 modern games on a regular basis. The rest just kinda flies over my head. Ffftthhheeeeuuumm.

Yeah, my Vocab isn't broad enough for the correct word here but basically whatever word describes not wanting to be the old guy that is terrified of new games and technology and just talks about how good things used to be without giving the new stuff half a chance :)

Modern so I can evolve? Something along those lines I guess :)

Edited by Crazy Climber, Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:11 AM.

#20 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 3,961 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:45 AM

#21 willis OFFLINE  

willis

Moonsweeper

• 335 posts

Posted Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:38 PM

The classics without a doubt. for many reasons.

They have little or no DLC & DRM, they are simple to get into, they can be emulated easily. They are timeless on so many levels (no pun intended). They are colorful. They made use of your imagination. They had character and personality. Each game stood on its own. They were creative!

Many were born from that philosophy as art and exploration of a new medium. Fast forward to today, and every game has to be this huge multi-billion dollar franchise laden with DRM and DLC and constant updating. Consider back - in the day whoever heard of a Tempest franchise for example? Games were one-off and unique then.

Everything today has to be "marketing safe" meaning it has to at least sound like it will be a hit and something the public knows about. Anything too different is bound to fail - in the marketing departments.

Modern consoles have too many updates. And they are network dependent. Internet required. Sometimes it takes an hour to complete a firmware and/or game code update. And some of it is forced on you. Furthermore when the servers go down either temporarily or permanently, you can't play! Games in the cloud and based on information retrieved from the cloud Old classics aren't saddled with the bullshit. And you don't have to worry about passwords and maintaining any kind of account information.

New games aren't really groundbreaking except for the graphics. And the emphasis is firmly there instead of the gameplay mechanics.

This sums it all up perfectly for me and this is why 'classic' wins. Well put Keatah

#22 Rhomaios OFFLINE  

Rhomaios

Stargunner

• 1,733 posts

Posted Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:02 AM

I think even the "franchises" were tame. Pac-Man was probably the worst, but everyone knew after Ms. Pac-Man (which, in fact, wasn't originally conceived of as a sequel by Namco) they were just milking them. Mario and Sonic were probably next, and they were all mascots. Galaxian and Galaga were entirely different games, sequels only technically, but not really a franchise.

#23 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 13,012 posts

Posted Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:26 AM

Definitely "modern". I mean, SNES and Genesis games were still being released in 1995..

#24 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 4,210 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 AM

Can't pick. Too many great games from all eras.

#25 Rhomaios OFFLINE  

Rhomaios

Stargunner

• 1,733 posts

Posted Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:09 AM

Definitely "modern". I mean, SNES and Genesis games were still being released in 1995..

I took it to mean systems from those years. So Genesis and SNES would be pre-1995, whereas N64, PS2, and Dreamcast are post-1995. PS1 & Saturn straddle that line for me, but technically they were released in 1994.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users