Photo

Modern or Classic, time to pick your poison

59 replies to this topic

Poll: Modern or Classic, Time to pick your poison. (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Modern or Classic. Choose a side and tell us why.

1. Classic (1975 to 1995) (77 votes [86.52%])

Percentage of vote: 86.52%

2. Modern (1995 to 2015) (12 votes [13.48%])

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you.

• 16,217 posts
  • I deride your truth-handling abilities.

Posted Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:04 AM

I like classic-style games in modern packages. Downloads all the way, even better if there's a good mobile port. If this makes you want to tap out "but touch control sucks and micro transactions are the devil," please keep it to yourself and respect my personal preference.

#52 djour OFFLINE  

djour

Chopper Commander

• 170 posts

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:30 PM

For me it boils down to simplicity and fun. I absolutely love to immerse myself into the world of Fallout 4. But it takes time to learn the quirks and memorize all of the buttons, and it's a one player game. It seems the more modern a system is, the more it centered around a single person. VR being the ultimate single player experience.

I would never think of turning on Skyrim for people to play at a party. My 2600 is out and available whenever we have groups of people over, I usually leave Warlords in it. I don't have to explain the buttons or rules for very long. Turn the paddle, press and hold the button, kill the other kings. It's always a hit.

Classic wins.

#53 H454 OFFLINE  

H454

Dragonstomper

• 518 posts

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:41 PM

Hard choice.

Went with modern just because of the Batman Arkam games.

Thought to myself, would choose between Zelda:link to the past (which I'm replaying now) or batman.

Than I realized the Arkam games ARE a Zelda game, Start out weak, get upgrade, fight boss, get new toy and access new area - repeat - etc.

#54 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,448 posts

Posted Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:54 AM

Modern, mostly cause all the classics are still there, if you know where to look, modern games can still be loads of fun, and plenty of classic styled modern games too.

#55 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,525 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 2:38 PM

Classic. There was/is more room for phantasy.

#56 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

River Patroller

• 2,662 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 2:40 PM

Both

#57 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 18,987 posts
  • So Below

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 3:01 PM

Both

The point of this poll was you had to make a choice. Both is not an option in this poll.

#58 MrBlackCat OFFLINE  

MrBlackCat

Chopper Commander

• 206 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 3:57 PM

While I do play modern games like Little Big Planet, PAIN!, Rag Doll Kung Fu, Goat Simulator, PS2/3 Sims, Lego Anything, PS2 GTA's, and some other stuff, I generally prefer cartridge based systems for speed of loading.  PS1 is painfully slow, PS2 is better, and some PS3 stuff is almost a deal breaker for loading times.

The other factor leaning me toward older games is the length of play.  I love Read Dead Redemption, but WOW is it time consuming... worth it, yes, but I simply don't have available blocks of time large enough to enjoy it.

I am going with early stuff.

MrBlackCat

#59 LYNXGUY OFFLINE  

LYNXGUY

Stargunner

• 1,458 posts

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:24 PM

Classic because they are just that Classic and lots of fun and not a ton of buttons to use. . . . . . .

#60 NE146 ONLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 16,060 posts

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 PM

I dunno.. all the "classic" was at one point in time, "modern".. so what does it mean???

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users