IGNORED

Gamepad Style Controllers?

Steve Mynott

I was wondering about replacement controllers for the Atari. I'd prefer something more like a modern gamepad rather than the old school joysticks.

I believe the Sega Genesis (Megadrive) controllers are supposed to work and notice cheap knock offs with many buttons on Amazon/Ebay.

Do these work OK on the 8bit? Ideally I'd like to use on an Amiga 1200 as well (which I believe is possible).

Anyone got suggestions or recommendations?

I have noticed some silly prices on Ebay for all retro computer stuff. The Commodore 65 went for 20,000 Euros! (about $22,000) and I wonder how much a 1450XLD or whatever would be.

That link looks like a scam and I can't believe anyone would pay that much (it's not even mint and sealed in a box).

The 7800 joypad is actually a

https://www.atariage.com/controller_page.html?SystemID=7800&ControllerID=24

I paid a price close to the Best Electronics price on Ebay UK but with cheaper postage.

If you can stand using non-Atari hardware Sega Genesis pads should be more comfortable than the Atari Joypads which are just rectangular boxes.

There was a quickshot joypad as well but I think it's rather mushy and does not compare well to the Genesis.

• Like 1

I'd prefer something more like a modern gamepad rather than the old school joysticks.

Can we ban this heretic? JK. The best controller for your 8-bit is a wico stick. I have been using mine for more than 30 years -- they are indestructible. There are a lot of sticks from the flash systems. They are not durable and feel funny. I tried the sega controllers with an atari. It works. I did not like the gamepad, though, and returned to the wico stick. My recollection is that they just work -- no mod required.

The price of those 7800 controllers could not have been $924 the entire time. I don't know what eBay policy is on sellers, so I'm guessing here (and being extremely charitable). Maybe the price is what it is because the seller is actually out of inventory and doesn't want people buying any from the sale at the moment. . Maybe it is cheaper (or just easier) to leave the item up as an active sale in ebay than it is to take it down and put it back up when the seller gets more inventory. I dunno.

If this was actually $924 the entire time then by now the seller must realize the inventory is not flying off the shelf at that price. I'd say nobody could be dumb enough to buy one, but given the number of people on the planet never say never.

Or maybe the seller is down to the last dozen units and really does think this they have possession of the last ones on the planet. (the not so charitable view).

I got two. I'll be happy to sell BOTH for $824. Come get it while it lasts.

I got two. I'll be happy to sell BOTH for $824. Come get it while it lasts.

That's a pretty low price. They seem not be worth much to you. I'd happily pay $1024.

Edit: before someone else makes this joke: "Make it $400" :)

@topic:

I'd advice to buy the Sega controllers. For one, I am itching to do a new (or upgrading an old game) for two-button use.

And the Sega pad is the most sensible way I think. As there should be loads of these around for those who actually want to play the game(s).

What about the Wii classic controller? Does it work with the HW from HardwareDoc? Or is anything planed to develop such a HW?

Edited by Creature XL

Yes, the sega genesis controllers are fine "joysticks" for the Atari 8-bits.

Yes, they also work with the Amiga.

I'll qualify this. The three button, original Genesis controllers work fine enough. Just plugged a couple into the 800XL to see what happens.

On the first port they work as:

Dpad == stick(0)

B == strig(0)

C == paddle(0) low value when not pressed, max/hi 228 when pressed.

So, it gives a joystick and two buttons. Unfortunately, the Start button and A button do not seem to do anything. At least not with the simple direct reads. Maybe there's an output pulse or something that's needed.

I have some 6 button controllers, not original Genesis hardware, but Hyperkin knock offs. The basic button seem to work like the three buttons for a few minutes. Then after some minutes the controller starts acting wacky -- some joystick directions stop working.... Not sure what's going on.

I have some 6 button controllers, not original Genesis hardware, but Hyperkin knock offs. The basic button seem to work like the three buttons for a few minutes. Then after some minutes the controller starts acting wacky -- some joystick directions stop working.... Not sure what's going on.

Does your computer have a memory upgrade by chance? I have some 3 button knockoffs that won't work in my Rambo'ed 800XL. They work for just a couple of minutes. Plug them into an unmodified computer and they work fine.