IGNORED

C64 Scrolling Black and White READY Screen Fix?

BurritoBeans

'ello

So recently I grabbed a breadbin brown-with-black-keys C64 for $35 because if it didn't work then it had two working PSUs and a good condition box. When it got here, it kept black screening until I had started messing with the RF cable. It gives me the screen in the picture, but I have to take out the RF cable, put it back in, turn off the system, turn it back on, flip the channel select to the right then back to the left. I'm thinking the RF modulator is dying in it and that is all, but I don't know. I want to get this thing having the blue on blue READY screen like my other C64, but don't know how. Any help is appreciated!

post-39575-0-77708200-1424441140_thumb.jpg

I tried it on my CRT, and it just doesn't work. The "fuzz" goes from grey to black with blue and red dots scattered around.

It may be the TV itself though for that, it's not 80s CRT, more 2000ish.

I used the same PSU but I didn't take my Coax adapter with me so I used a NES RF box thing.

Edited by BurritoBeans

I agree with Rybags that it is possibly a PAL machine as a rolling screen and black and white are what usually happens when connected to a NTSC screen. You may want to open it up and look for the VIC-II chip(graphics chip). The NTSC had these part numbers - 6567/8562/8564 and PAL had these 6569/8565/8566.

• 4 years later...
On 2/20/2015 at 9:06 AM, BurritoBeans said:

'ello

So recently I grabbed a breadbin brown-with-black-keys C64 for $35 because if it didn't work then it had two working PSUs and a good condition box. When it got here, it kept black screening until I had started messing with the RF cable. It gives me the screen in the picture, but I have to take out the RF cable, put it back in, turn off the system, turn it back on, flip the channel select to the right then back to the left. I'm thinking the RF modulator is dying in it and that is all, but I don't know. I want to get this thing having the blue on blue READY screen like my other C64, but don't know how. Any help is appreciated!

post-39575-0-77708200-1424441140_thumb.jpg

Had exactly the same problem on a couple newly acquired C64c machines

Tried 3 different LCD monitors using video, S-video and RF with no change in results

Then dug out an old Toshiba CRT and it worked right away on all signals

I guess using vintage with vintage works best :)