IGNORED

Lost ST Game info from Douglas Little.

I have a 'full interview' sat with Doug, but he's been kind enough to forward on the Lost Game info i asked about, 1st.In terms of the Atari related stuff, this might be 'old news' but thought i'd share, starting with his ST Projects:

* Formula 1 Racer (Atari ST, Amiga 500). ICEsoft, sometime around '90-'91.

This was a prototype which never matured into a game. It used a combination

of polygon scenery and a more classic road representation (e.g. Outrun)

with the expected alternating red/white track borders, and 2D sprites for

vehicles etc. There are some screenshots from the ST version somewhere on

AF, from a year or two back when I dug up a test disk.

(P2)

* FutFut & Bobby (Amiga 500, Atari STE). ICEsoft, probably '92. Again

screenshots can be found on AF. Largely horizontal (really, 8-way) scroller

involving platform-oriented world with small cartoon vehicle which could

drive on varying gradients, jump gaps and areas of water etc. Collecting

pickups etc. Developed into prototype/demo on Amiga, STE but terminated due

to lack of publisher interest.

I'm a firm believer in sharing info on Lost Games, as/when it comes in with the community,

:-) He's just remembered THESE as well...

...and the nostalgia effect has bubbled up another two from the depths of my scarred memory!

F1GP arcade machine conversion to Atari ST, Amiga 500. ICEsoft again, '92-93. (different from the Formula 1 Racer project, which was more sprite based - this one was pure filled polygons like the arcade). We tendered for the contract but didn't get it. There was a small tech demo for this but less well progressed than 'Formula 1 Racer', because we didn't have as much time on it.

And perhaps more importantly - World Cup '92 (I think it was 92!) arcade conversion for Amiga 500, Atari ST. ICEsoft again. This was actually pretty advanced in terms of technical progress - playfield with fine grass textures, shadows, sprites, good scrolling speed on both platforms. Titles & music in the demo. Most of the mechanics. The football logic however was missing (i.e. the important bit) and IIRC the contract was never closed so it died.

Latest from Doug :-)

...remembered a bit more, this time about World Cup '92 on ST/Amiga

While making the P.O.C for this project, I remember we had the arcade box sitting in the office (which was generally the way we converted arcade games - playing, watching and recording the originals to VHS and replaying over and over!). In this case I was listening to the title music many, many times and creating a 4-channel tracker MOD file, note-by-note, entirely by ear using some ST tracker software. Once the music had been 'cloned' by ear, it was played back on both 16bit machines by the best means available on each (Paula on Amiga, YM+scan sync on ST). The titles themselves (mostly big text characters in lots of colours) were represented using palette switching tricks while the music was playing. By doing this it ended up pretty close to the arcade.

The rest of the demo was more typical of game dev at the time but the titles involved some extra determination which I only just remembered :)

D