IGNORED

Eliminating the 32K Card

Omega-TI

32K Replacement  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in eliminating the '32K CARD' in your P-Box if a 100% compatible replacement kit was available?

• YES
    • NO
    • Maybe / Other
  2. 2. What physical form(s) would you prefer in a possible replacement unit? (CHOOSE NO MORE THAN TWO)

• An in-console design, no matter how much soldering was involved.
    • A design that simply plugs in between the TI and the P-Box, like in an empty speech synthesizer case.
    • A design that could be added onto the FLEX card interface.
    • I'd rather have the 32K built on an new RAM disk or SAMS type card.
    • Other - Explain in comments section.
    • I voted no.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The 32K card uses some valuable real estate in the peripheral expansion box.

This poll is to gauge if TI'ers would be interested enough to purchase a possible future replacement for the card, thus freeing up space for future goodies.

If you like the idea, what TWO physical forms would most interest you?

If you think it's a complete waste, let us know that too, because why built it, if no one would buy it.

Get a SAMS Card or a Quest RAMdisk - they both allow 32K on board.

You know, at one time I thought I might go down that path, but lately I've started thinking for what I actually do on the TI, matching that new DSDD 80 track controller (when available) to my Lotharek HxC is all I'm probably ever going to need, especially with the HDX functioning in a backup and support role.

Note that a SAMS card also changes the parameters for the types of software you can run, much as the UberGROM, 512K, and 2048K cartridges did. RXB is AMS-aware, as are TurboFORTH, the Small C Compiler, and the RAG Assembler. There are a small, but growing number of applications that use it--and that is a good thing, as it is another route to larger programs with capabilities that just aren't possible in 32K without a lot of code moving back and forth to the disks.

Get a SAMS Card or a Quest RAMdisk - they both allow 32K on board.

Easier said then done. I've tried to buy a SAMS card for years but failed. I have until now never seen one on EBAY. Then I almost got to buy one, but the seller reconsidered.

So if someone wants to sell one AND is willing to ship to Germany then please contact me privately :-)

I voted "no" just to be a contrarian and also to participate. ;-) Actually, I'm keeping things Old School or "stock" for now, more for sentimental reasons than for capabilities/performance obviously. Even with the interface cable, RS-232, 32kb, and Disk Controller, I still have room for I know not what (I would be interested in being able to take my speech synthesizer and plugging it in to one of my open PEB slots as I've seen/read about).

• Like 2

I have a myarc 512 in both systems I'm using right now and a converted one for one of my 9640s when I finally get around to setting one up. They are nice because of the RAM disk that can be set up. I use it all the the time for mcopying disk with lots of files. Plus the fact of running xbii.

I voted no. I'll tell you why. Over the years a number of cards have been made that include the 32K on board as a convenience. However, they can be a pain in rear. Two examples: SAMS and Horizon RAM disks. This means that they can interfere with each other. In my experience, writes seemed to work but reads could be a problem. The solution? *One* 32K board on its own, as TI intended!

• Like 1

I don't run a 32k card in my system as I install it in the console whenever I have a new console - the single chip mod on my page doesn't take too long to install. But my intent is to someday have AMS, since there is enough software that supports it to be worthwhile. ;)

I never bothered putting 32k on my RAMdisk... that's an optional add-on to the board. You can (and should) disable/remove it if you have other memory cards in your system. SAMS is a replacement for the 32k, so should be treated the same way (ie: don't have two 32k cards in your system ;) )

Easier said then done. I've tried to buy a SAMS card for years but failed.

That seems to be the case with many of the older/rare cards. If located, price can still keep an old card out of reach.

Note that a SAMS card also changes the parameters for the types of software you can run, much as the UberGROM, 512K, and 2048K cartridges did. RXB is AMS-aware, as are TurboFORTH, the Small C Compiler, and the RAG Assembler. There are a small, but growing number of applications that use it--and that is a good thing, as it is another route to larger programs with capabilities that just aren't possible in 32K without a lot of code moving back and forth to the disks.

I'll take a wait & see approach, because I don't use any of the programs mentioned. "Someday", if there is a modern re-issue of a SAMS at a reasonable price, I'll may reconsider... IF there are some 'killer apps' for it, like a GUI, a decent DOS, or even a first person shooter using that also uses the F18A. Right now for just a storage device, I'm covered.

SAMs cards are available.. I just got one for Rasmus didn't I?

the biggest issue I have is the damn incompatibility of ram cards

There are:

ti card 32k

foundation/myark 128k/512k with xbii roms

sams

I keep the foundation 128k in my TI and wouldn't consider a SAMS just because I like the ability to run xbii SAMS doesn't gain me anything useful at this point

Greg

more interested to have a 32Kb and a Disk Controller plugged into the TI99, so i can do a mod with a HxC SD and display all in one... ;)

It's possible! The problem arises in the way TI does things... it would have to be in a DOS shell or menu environment to work properly. The Uber Cart would probably be the best solution in this endevour. From what I understand, it can ALL be done in software alone.

• Like 1

What I'd really like is speech + (cf7+ / nanopeb) in the console with a port exposed for the CF card.

That should be fairly straightforward. Get a short side port extension cable and fold it up into the top of the console where you have it connected to the speech synthesizer board and Cf7/Nano. If you can't line up the Cf7/Nano to match up with the slot you've cut in the console, get one of these: http://www.sycard.com/cfext180.html

I would guess it would take about an hour to complete.

Gazoo

• Like 1