IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Telling that the Retro VGS post stating it's ending already has twice as many likes as any of their posts in the past week.

The RVS is dead for now, refunds will be given.

That was quick off the mark with the info.

You obviously have close ties to this campaign, given your posts on the subject, and the fact that you have now TWICE removed the AtariAge links from the Retro VGS Wikipedia page. I would take anything you say on the matter with a huge grain of salt.

..Al

BOOM, and now we see why. So long and thanks for all the shill, Draikar... or should I say... Roberta, lolol.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 8

I know nothing about nothing, but I think they should do a complete 180 on the Retro VGS.

Use the Jag shell, which I think is a great design, especially in the colours they had in their pictures.

Android-based, no cartridges, ethernet port for online download of games. Maybe a special controller that *locks* games to their system, ie can't be played with touch screens or other controllers. Then it should be easier to change games from one 'realm' to the RVGS. I think the RGVS would have exist by piggybacking on the established Android development.

There is no reason in trying to go back to the world before the internet. How about going back to a world without manual transmission and without antibiotics? :)

I have no ill will towards Mike Kennedy. I listened to his chase the chuckwagon YEARS ago on Retro Gaming Radio with Shane R. Monroe.

I am also hoping that Nintendo's next console will be without a disc drive.

Edited by AE35

Android-based, no cartridges, ethernet port for online download of games. Maybe a special controller that *locks* games to their system, ie can't be played with touch screens or other controllers. Then it should be easier to change games from one 'realm' to the RVGS.

Without a cart slot, they shouldn't bother. Being cart based is what set them apart from the many Android based consoles available. They just need to change the way they're approaching it. If you want an Android system, get a Nvidia Shield TV, as it's really a great piece of hardware.

In order to be successful with any campaign, they first need to lower their sales expectations for the system. I'm still not sure they're willing to do that.

• Like 2

How many think when they come back the RVGS will have the same emphasis on ARM and ports of indie games? I've never been convinced of a great overlap in classic gamers,classic game collectors and people who enjoy playing exclusively retro-styled indies that look the part but don't play by the same rules (having been developed for hardware many generations apart with a whole different approach to game creation).

If they come back still pushing the indies on cart thing, being vocal about Unity and Game Maker and all that stuff, and thinking about having their boxes sat on shelves in stores, then they learned little.

I think there's a chance to be reasonably successful with a low-power, super cheap, fun, inclusive system with masses of developer support, super high level access and software authoring, so people can jump in. Oh and plenty of knowledgeable support on hand to get things happening and making sure it keeps ticking over. Seeing modern pixelated stuff as a quick and easy solution to having games on your system, for me, is short sighted and will ignore the kinds of homebrewers and very small outfits that are able to take a punt on being one of the pioneers to produce exclusively for the system as a part-time bit of fun, as long as you make it easy for them. And that faux-retro bubble might well burst once the cool kids have had their fill of the retro look and those games' sales drop off a cliff. It happens, and there's loads more to that whole angle than just an aesthetic. There's not many of these games that actually feel like playing the real deal, however fun they might be. Just decide who they want to pitch it to and do everything they can to make it happen without getting greedy and trying to be all things to everyone at twice the price of something better.

• Like 7

My idea for Retro VGS 2.0: I would ditch the high-end unity/steam games and make this be a 100% homebrew-on-cartridge system. Include FPGA cores for 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis as well as their own 16 bit core, and make a good game making tool to encourage new homebrewers... and then make a big part of their business be cartridge P.O.D.

• Like 2

I am going to buy the Shield the second it arrives in Denmark! :)

I just think that the cartridge dream is not going to fly, at all. I still think a high-power Android system is the way to go.

Regarding all the backlash from Mike Kennedy during this ordeal, well....it is what happens as these things unfold.

Here's my two cents on what I would have liked to have seen. Like I said earlier, I disagree with the carts-are-dead crowd; I think carts look great; some of us really want the accompanying packaging/media and the retro feel; it's still a really simple way to start up a game; and I think the idea of using high quality components (even if they are pricey) for carts that will last decades has a real appeal to collectors and players.

Other than price, the two main disadvantages of carts seem to be: (1) the inability to update the software for bugs; and (2) some people may not want to keep carts around (clutter, trying to keep collectibles pristine).

But aren't these two problems both solvable technologically? Here's what I'd suggest, and my apologies if these suggestions were made elsewhere in this gigantic thread (I skimmed) or if my lack of tech knowledge is showing here (if these suggestions are unrealistic for some reason).

(1) Bugs - Put an SD (preferably, micro SD) slot on the system. When a cart is placed in the system and it is powered on, if nothing is in the SD slot, the cart runs as normal. This way, the cart can always be played in its original form. And I am more confident than most here that, if developers were told that this is how the system will normally function, games would be less buggy than what is rushed out for today's consoles and most would be playable in their original form with no major bugs... Still, bugs happen. So if the system is powered on with a cart and an SD card inserted, the software automatically looks for any bug fixes for that particular cart on the SD card. This way, if there are no bug fixes, nothing has to be done, and if there are fixes, you can just download something onto the SD card (on your PC) once and leave the SD card in your system. So now you have a bug fix, and you still normally start the system like an old school machine. Also, if there is a bug fix, the startup screen could inform you of that with a quick indicator so for, say, high score comparison, a video will show if the cart was being played in its original form or with a bug fix.

(2) Some don't want to use physical media - Simply have a way to offload purchased carts onto flash memory. If you start the system and no cart is in the slot, an onscreen menu appears where you can use your controller to select from games offloaded to flash. The danger with this is, of course, piracy, but perhaps if there is some writable memory on the cart, that problem can be addressed. (I also agree with people here that it's a bit silly to worry about piracy when selling a collector's system and people are paying premium for games they can get for 99 cents or $5 on mobile or at an online store.)

Now if that SD card could also be booted to some environment where you could use software emulators or take advantage of FPGA, even if that wasn't an officially supported function, yeah, I think it'd be worth the asking price....

• Like 4

Sorry to burst your bubble man, neither are these jokers. You aren't going to find the RETRO VGS in a retail store like Walmart, Gamestop OR Best Buy even if this thing did get funded. You aren't going to walk into a Target and find the Target Exclusive colored system for $399.99. Does Mike know that you escaped from Retro Land? I bet that Kid Chameleon and Aero the Acrobat are already on their way to take you back as we speak.

LOL, I think Walmart had enough trouble selling the original Atari Jaguars when they were new. Now this beast RVGS sitting next to PS4s and Xbox Ones and at the upper price point of both to boot? Never gonna happen.

My idea for Retro VGS 2.0: I would ditch the high-end unity/steam games and make this be a 100% homebrew-on-cartridge system. Include FPGA cores for 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis as well as their own 16 bit core, and make a good game making tool to encourage new homebrewers... and then make a big part of their business be cartridge P.O.D.

I think the Retron has that market already, and FPGA cores for the old 8-bit systems are not going to sell enough to make a "business" viable. RVGS was a plaftorm/business proposal, not a homebrew, they did it to make money. They also had developers interested in using the RVGS platform for games.

Here's my two cents on what I would have liked to have seen. Like I said earlier, I disagree with the carts-are-dead crowd; I think carts look great; some of us really want the accompanying packaging/media and the retro feel; it's still a really simple way to start up a game; and I think the idea of using high quality components (even if they are pricey) for carts that will last decades has a real appeal to collectors and players.

Other than price, the two main disadvantages of carts seem to be: (1) the inability to update the software for bugs; and (2) some people may not want to keep carts around (clutter, trying to keep collectibles pristine).

But aren't these two problems both solvable technologically? Here's what I'd suggest, and my apologies if these suggestions were made elsewhere in this gigantic thread (I skimmed) or if my lack of tech knowledge is showing here (if these suggestions are unrealistic for some reason).

(1) Bugs - Put an SD (preferably, micro SD) slot on the system. When a cart is placed in the system and it is powered on, if nothing is in the SD slot, the cart runs as normal. This way, the cart can always be played in its original form. And I am more confident than most here that, if developers were told that this is how the system will normally function, games would be less buggy than what is rushed out for today's consoles and most would be playable in their original form with no major bugs... Still, bugs happen. So if the system is powered on with a cart and an SD card inserted, the software automatically looks for any bug fixes for that particular cart on the SD card. This way, if there are no bug fixes, nothing has to be done, and if there are fixes, you can just download something onto the SD card (on your PC) once and leave the SD card in your system. So now you have a bug fix, and you still normally start the system like an old school machine. Also, if there is a bug fix, the startup screen could inform you of that with a quick indicator so for, say, high score comparison, a video will show if the cart was being played in its original form or with a bug fix.

(2) Some don't want to use physical media - Simply have a way to offload purchased carts onto flash memory. If you start the system and no cart is in the slot, an onscreen menu appears where you can use your controller to select from games offloaded to flash. The danger with this is, of course, piracy, but perhaps if there is some writable memory on the cart, that problem can be addressed. (I also agree with people here that it's a bit silly to worry about piracy when selling a collector's system and people are paying premium for games they can get for 99 cents or $5 on mobile or at an online store.)

Now if that SD card could also be booted to some environment where you could use software emulators or take advantage of FPGA, even if that wasn't an officially supported function, yeah, I think it'd be worth the asking price....

SD interface was a must, stupid to leave it out. We just don't trust the testing, and they fail to remember all the little add ons that were made for those old systems due to limitations. Not having network capability, also bad, online multiplayer is something this system needed.

Without a cart slot, they shouldn't bother. Being cart based is what set them apart from the many Android based consoles available. They just need to change the way they're approaching it. If you want an Android system, get a Nvidia Shield TV, as it's really a great piece of hardware.

In order to be successful with any campaign, they first need to lower their sales expectations for the system. I'm still not sure they're willing to do that.

I agree totally. Developers have a really tough time making any money off Android. OT but I found the Shield/Android TV not to my liking only because there's too many apps that were available in Google Play which haven't been certified in Shield store yet.

I disagree with you about network connectivity. The whole point of this was to be old school and simple; it's for one to four people playing an instant on game in front of the TV set together. For those indie games which lent themselves to online play, the developers could have, as an added bonus for people who purchased carts, given out a key to the PC version.

But yeah, you can do so much with SD, bug fixes, and to serve all those people who wanted a new collectibles system but also for the system to double as an emulation/FPGA/homebrew/Linux/whatever machine....

Edited by doug0909

Alright. Ball's in their court now. They said everything we wanted them to say with their closing announcement. I'll vow here and now to look at it with fresh eyes if they come back in 6-12 months with a working proto running one of their games. I'm still not keen on funding their entire corporation through crowdfunding but if they have a working product, I might be somewhat moved.

• Like 4

I think there's a chance to be reasonably successful with a low-power, super cheap, fun, inclusive system with masses of developer support, super high level access and software authoring, so people can jump in.

Dudes could have bought out the stock of those xGameStations and put a project box around it. They can be programmed in BASIC. Everyone wins. http://www.xgamestation.com/view_product.php?id=47

xgs_pic_product_01.jpg

• Like 5

I disagree with you about network connectivity. The whole point of this was to be old school and simple; it's for one to four people playing an instant on game in front of the TV set together. For those indie games which lent themselves to online play, the developers could have, as an added bonus for people who purchased carts, given out a key to the PC version.

But yeah, you can do so much with SD, bug fixes, and to serve all those people who wanted a new collectibles system but also for the system to double as an emulation/FPGA/homebrew/Linux/whatever machine....

"Here, our RVGS game is not as good as the PC version, so play the PC version?" That won't fly. There was already an issue I felt with games where the developers could release new DLC on other platforms, which was impossible on RVGS, requiring a new cartridge purchase. Going totally old school was a fools errand.

The good news is we aren’t giving up and have made some adjustments to our hardware team, which includes the involvement of other hardware gurus who were part of our venture in the very beginning. We will also be lowering the price while maintaining most of the cool features you all want.

Hold on, let me check ...... NOPE I AM NOT BACK ON THE PROJECT. And if you listen to the interview we did with them Steve runs through that UK Mike and I were there from the beginning while Socal Uhuhs. And I would not rejoin if asked. I don't know who he is referring to but it isn't the guy (ME) from the very beginning. Even in death this just keeps giving.

• Like 8

I know what you are saying here, but just wanted to state that 175 people have posted in this thread, thus far...Al

Yes, Retro VGS was hyped like anything and drew many of us quieter ones to comment (have been a member on here since 2002, usually just read stuff). This was a big deal and could have been huge if they stopped chopping and changing along the way, being stupidly vague, then changing the thing completely.

The mantra of Silicon Valley is "fail fast, fail often." They've got the first part down.

Speaking only for myself, I'm unwilling to put any money into their next project, following the principle of "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

I feel like Mike has burned up most of the goodwill he had with me. It's a trust issue at this point. I will not be crowdfunding anything with his name on it. If it actually turns into a real product with attractive features, and games..... Well, we'll see when/if we get there.

I do not wish ill of anyone involved with this project. I wish you all well. I just won't allow myself to be so foolish ever again.

• Like 3

Hold on, let me check ...... NOPE I AM NOT BACK ON THE PROJECT. And if you listen to the interview we did with them Steve runs through that UK Mike and I were there from the beginning while Socal Uhuhs. And I would not rejoin if asked. I don't know who he is referring to but it isn't the guy (ME) from the very beginning. Even in death this just keeps giving.

This is pretty ridiculous. I figured that you were part of the group who was back on the project. Now I'm interested to know who it is. Weird that they chose not to release names. Maybe it's not that weird, given how they were just as vague with the whole campaign.

• Like 1

Im in Florida so no Im not connected to them.

Whatever yo say, Roberta. You just happened to be their biggest superfan and unofficial PR. See you next year!

I can feel your hate it give you focus and strength. Let the hate flow through you then you can take on and destroy the RETRO VGS and master Mike Kennedy. Henceforth you shall be known as Darth Giltygear DESTROYER of the last cartridge media system, so we can have "peace" and "tranquility"...

They will have announcement later today about Indiegogo on there Facebook page.

Indiegogo Campaign tomorrow (Saturday) morning at 9 AM Pacific Time.

I hope they don't have kevtris on there team when they relaunch...

I just don't like Kevtris, its nothing personal I just don't like him. Kinda hard to explain.

Kevtris owes Mike a apology..

• Like 12

Team up with Kevtris, create that Super Sega genesis you were originally thinking of. Give it online capabilities. Throw in a SNES core with online capabilities as well. Design cartridges that would extend original consoles, giving them online capabilities and a way to read data from the SD card direct and download Roms from the store. Team up with Piko in distribution and creating an online market for both consoles. Talk with stef (SGDK) and his SNES counterpart in creating a unified SDK to enable quick porting between systems.... Profit!!! :D

Edited by 001 Influence Device
  • Like 1

My advice to Mike: Go find something you're goood at doing. Hardware development is obviously not it.

As for the other guys. Get something really amazing done, or don't even try again.

Comming back with a 150 bucks crappy ARM powered Jaguar with a generic Controller is not gonna cut it.

Edited by leods
  • Like 1