IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Someone else watched the Periscope feed and got some tidbits about the Kickstarter campaign:

• Kickstarter-exclusive console colors.
  • Kickstarter-exclusive cartridge colors.
  • Low serial numbers for early backers.
  • Systems will be shipped in the order they were backed.
  • Stretch goal to add dust flaps to the console.

Dust flaps! Surely a game changer?

• Stretch goal to add dust flaps to the console.

"Yes, which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know. I mean do people want dust flaps that can be fitted nasally? If you're so clever you tell us what colour it should be?"

I honestly don't think low serial numbers is going to be a problem for people :P

These people need to be shot into space on an ark.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 6

Can someone enlighten me to what the 9VDC port is for? It's not an input, apparently.

I believe it is tied to:

"Power output for Sony RFU modules, for connection to televisions without line in"

It's not the very first console to have such an out (I have seen a couple), so they can cater to RF only customers with a Sony add-on!

I like in the end of the spec:

"
Regulatory Certifications
Global: CSA, EU CE, US FCC, US UL, etc.
"
As if, you know, it's obviously trivial to satisfy all of them by magic wand, I've never seen using "etc." when it comes to list with pride the regulatory certifications .... none of them would make the thing pop into existence, but the fact that they summarily hint that they will have what they need in time seems really amateurish ... maybe they plan to do as many cheap chinese manufacturers do ... it's simply a sticker.
  • Like 1

• Systems will be shipped in the order they were backed.

Mmmhhhhh, so there would be only 1 worker assembling them one at a time and then once one is finished rush to the postal office to guarantee strict sequentiality?

Is this a 2 men garage/basement kind of arrangement? ... I though the thing would be manufactured in china, then assembled somewhere else (just to claim it is not made solely in china) and then shipped in batches as they are ready .... stupid me that would make so much more sense.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

I believe it is tied to:

"Power output for Sony RFU modules, for connection to televisions without line in"

It's not the very first console to have such an out (I have seen a couple), so they can cater to RF only customers with a Sony add-on!

Who in the year 2015 has $300+ to spend on such a console and only has a TV with RF input? This whole thing is beginning to seem like someone is having a manic episode and documenting it online...along with some 3D renders.

• Like 4

Who in the year 2015 has $300+ to spend on such a console and only has a TV with RF input? This whole thing is beginning to seem like someone is having a manic episode and documenting it online...along with some 3D renders.

I have a working 32" tube TV I'll sell you for a mere $600 so you can get the whole experience. :-D

A list from yesterday's panel. $300+ confirmed for system. Console-to-console via USB? And they changed their minds with DLC and Internet connectivity ("down the road")?

(I deleted list since the guy that put actual work into making it should at least get hits on his website)

He also has the full video up.

Edited by PlaysWithWolves

I was writing the previous message as you posted, but you can see it's now confirmed.

That's not including the extra $$ for the translucent shells. Eep!

I liked this system better when it was $150-200 and up-to 32bit. :grin:

....300US$ .... when did they communicate that price?

I haven't even see yet the kickstarter yet?

• Like 2

Well I guess I can confirm I will not buy it new ... will wait for a drop in price or discount in the second-hand market from disgruntled customers.

If I am unlucky and it becomes a rare collector item ... I will have to live without one ;-) for the next 20Y or so ... I am patient, after all I waited almost 20Y already to buy another commercial disaster (ok ok mishap) which shares the same shell with this one.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

I believe they mentioned a ballpark of $350. It's probably somewhere in this train wreck of a thread.

This whole thing is beginning to seem like someone is having a manic episode and documenting it online...along with some 3D renders.

Sure it sounds like that, but where else could you save high score initials to USB? eh? EH?? GOT YOU THERE!!

• Like 3

Sure it sounds like that, but where else could you save high score initials to USB? eh? EH?? GOT YOU THERE!!

And it supports Fairchild Channel F controllers. I hereby revoke all my prior criticism of the Retro VGS. The Channel F controllers are one of the finest marvels of video game engineering ever. I can't count the amount of times I've been playing a game and thought to myself, "You know what would make this game so much better? If only I could use a Channel F controller!" And they support Vectrex controllers too! I've been looking for ways to put more wear and tear on my rare and expensive Vectrex controllers, the Retro VGS seems to have found a solution to my problem.

Limited edition console colors, limited edition cart shell colors...if they introduce limited edition power supply colors I'm in for one of each.

• Like 3

Watched the video.

John Carlsen sounds like a very capable hardware engineer, who has worked with various classic system and game-making companies.

- Fast 32-bit ARM processor but they are considering upgrading to the new one mentioned pages back in the thread.

- It sounds like FPGA is geared more for hobby developers who may want to easily port from their native system to a new one. [Which, I might add, sounds counter-intuitive to their own argument against any sort of converter -- e.g, "if you like a classic game, just buy it and the classic system".]

- Small runs sound less likely than originally proposed (my impression); said something about having a team look over submissions.

- Very small runs likely would be twenty year flash-based. Large runs could have masked ROMS, since the costs could be spread further.

- The dev. kit will only be the aforementioned software; developers just need to connect to a PC via a USB cable.

- They still want Unity and GameMaker plug-ins.

- DLC and internet connectivity answer was more of a "I hate saying never ..." kind of thing than as-if they were considering adding the feature.

But $300. Yeesh.

Edited by PlaysWithWolves

Ignoring the price point for the moment, I would find it interesting if in addition to the Fairchild controllers, the Astrocade controllers were supported as well and then some means provided at some point for emulating both of these systems through this. I know there are adaptors (at least for the Astrocade) that can be used with a PC but I do get the appeal of a non-PC based solution for emulation. While I have originals of both of these systems (x2), I know that some random day in the future they are just not going to work anymore.

Now, back to reality .... I really hope some more features (or confirmed games/projects for this) are revealed soon that will help encourage paying the price.

You misunderstood the purpose, it's not retrogames per se but it's retrogames look alike, think Joust but with a symphonic orchestra score and cut scene worthy of Avatar kind of thing ... the gameplay/game would instead be 8/16 bits-ish .... wait we had that it was when the CD-ROM came about .. nevermind.

Edited by phoenixdownita

You misunderstood the purpose, it's not retrogames per se but it's retrogames look alike, think Joust but with a symphonic orchestra score and cut scene worthy of Avatar kind of thing ... the gameplay/game would instead be 8/16 bits-ish .... wait we had that it was when the CD-ROM came about .. nevermind.

Any word of a Dragon's Lair or Space Ace port on the Retro VGS?

I believe they mentioned a ballpark of $350. It's probably somewhere in this train wreck of a thread.

I don't think the thread is a train-wreck yet. Sure you got idiots bitching about design points ans stuff. And a lot of sarcasm and negativity about the team is flying around here. Though I believe they believe they are doing it with honest effort. But the final package seems to have bigger problems than just a feature set.

I also don't think $350 is a lot of money for the console. Consider that most of us are grown up by now and have settled into $40+ hour jobs nowadays. The whole shebang would run us a day or two's work. Some of us have reached independently wealthy status to where the price is not a consideration. Those would be the lurkers. And there's enough of us to make the venture work.

And I am concerned that the games in the video are not really retro-looking. They looked a lot like modern cellphone games and shit the kids play on the Wii-U. Nowhere was innovation to be seen,