IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

After this campaign ends, I think Albert should start a Kickstarter campaign to release this thread as a book. Regular edition will be paperback, the deluxe edition will be hard cover and the Xtreme edition will be hand bound, by Albert himself, and come with a Blu-Ray containing all linked images, websites and videos.

Edited by goldenegg
  • Like 2

I can't wait until someone puts this thread on a cartridge.

That can be arranged! ;)

I'll make sure it's a cartridge that cannot be updated (since updates are evil), but I'll probably sprinkle in a few bugs on purpose just for fun, so you'd better be sure to instruct me to make it bug-free. I can even put it in an exclusive transparent case!

I'll make sure it's a cartridge that cannot be updated (since updates are evil), but I'll probably sprinkle in a few bugs on purpose just for fun, so you'd better be sure to instruct me to make it bug-free. I can even put it in an exclusive transparent case!

There better be bugs. Without them, my speed run wouldn't look anywhere near as impressive.

• Like 1

I have been following this thread for a while now and it has been such an interesting read. Despite the kind of splenetic humor of my parody video, I really thought this project was interesting and I am sad that it has devolved into the circus that it is (although, deservedly so, based on the PR). I just saw this video of a "working prototype" on YouTube and it didn't seem that impressive, but perhaps the experts here can tell if it is in anyway approaching legitimacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi10cm1pQXM

• Like 5

After this campaign ends, I think Albert should start a Kickstarter campaign to release this thread as a book. Regular edition will be paperback, the deluxe edition will be hard cover and the Xtreme edition will be hand bound, by Albert himself, and come with a Blu-Ray containing all linked images, websites and videos.

Special edition with a do it yourself cutout PCB? Also, what color will you make the cover?

I just saw this video of a "working prototype" on YouTube and it didn't seem that impressive, but perhaps the experts here can tell if it is in anyway approaching legitimacy.

WTH?

That video doesn't make sense at all. Mike's been going on and on about how they don't have money to make a prototype, but yet they have one? They're building a game platform, but test it with a desktop, Windows based environment? That also really looks like Windows, which doesn't run on ARM and definitely not on an FPGA, so what hardware are they actually running?

I'm not going to call hoax, since so little was shown and said in the video, but that video is highly suspect.

Edit:

I mean to say that it looks like an old version of Windows, which doesn't work on ARM. I know there's Windows RT, but it definitely doesn't look like RT on his screen.

Edited by goldenegg

Fan gamers - we need to really think about how we spend out $$$. There are several projects out there that deserve our funding. while everyone here seems willing to crush Mike Kennedy and all his shady ventures, we need to not blindly jump on board to a Kevtris project, I feel the collective community could rally around a common goal and create the best system ever! Al and the mods should put togther a team and have the community create something awesome!

I'm actually kinda surprised that, at least from the outset, there's actually a bit of a backlash against cartridges... or am I completely wrong here? I pretty much had the same idea when I made my console, complete with web-ordering services for getting games done for devs. Over the course of this thread though, it's interesting to see that cartridges are still popular... BUT FOR OLD SYSTEMS as in flash cards, multi-cards and what not.

[..]

Also somewhat surprised that the 3DS hasn't been compared (although it's technically not a cartridge in the true sense, just serial storage).

[..]

-Mux

Carts were a means to an end back in the day. A true cost cutting measure. A way to contain and permit swapping of the game-changing circuitry. No pun intended. Then came magnetic disks, optical discs, and now online distro.

Games of the golden era were simple and I believe could be playtested for QA in a few months tops. Today that isn't feasible not with GB upon GB of code. Today we have to have updatability. The key is to not subvert the infrastructure that allows updating into micropayments and freemium. Sadly nearly all developers have. But RVGS nixed both issues (updating & micropayments) at once - when they needed to be separated.

That's why people are bitching about buying a game, and not being able to get additional levels and patches. So, you need an ethernet port in the console, and the ability to have the console call home and update the cartridge code. Complex? Yes. But it would solve the problem? Yes. Or have a mail-order system in place to get your cart reflashed. Make a separate cartridge updater device that is a simple USB passthrough to the PC. Something like that.

Flash carts are sometimes seen as a natural extension of the original system. Anything that fits in the slot is kosher. First there were new bank-switching schemes, then extended memory carts including the Starpath/Arcadia Supercharger. Double-enders. 128-in-ones. And in later systems, whole processors and blitters. Those were all seen as genuine expansion options.

Today the hotspot is flash carts using SD. Just another expansion device. They bring real advantages to classic systems while not violating the purity of those systems. And they are updatable!

Reasonable people of the 21st century accept the idea that the ability to patch your software and update your hardware is a feature, not a bug.

We hold these truths to be self evident that while they were nice when we were younger, we no longer need cartridges as a storage medium when flash, magnetic, and optical media is faster, cheaper, denser, and better in every way.

Having the option to put computers on the Internet for information exchange and multiplayer communication and fun is not a bad thing.

[..]

Like I said, cartridges served their purpose very well back in the day. We were kids back then. Carts obfuscated nicely the act of swapping out a program in what would otherwise essentially be a fixed-program computer. That's the children's way. And we fucking loved it!

Now it's becoming chic to play modern games from SD, which is slowly gaining momentum in gaming. SD should be in RVGS. It appears to be in the fledgling Zimba 3000 - awesome!

For fun I made a box of gaming modules and put Doom and Quake and complete classic systems on them. Anyone can do this. It lends some form of physicality to games that were once disk-based and can potentially satisfy those still bound to cartridges.

Last thing I want to do after a 12 hour day at work is come home and find myself searching through a mess of cartridges for Gyruss. I'd rather pull out an SD card and plug it in and get playing instantly.. Pull out the jewelry box like container, with LED lights, displaying 50 SD cards nicely organized and spiffied up. Once for each classic system and a handful of other PC things. It's basically the same thing as swapping carts, just a different ritual. The adult way.

SD - goddamned great:

"DLC" level maps can be added.

Sound and graphic packs can be added.

Settings can be changed semi-permanently.

Executables can be patched and updated.

All that can be transported with you.

And most are now waterproof, not that you'll be playing them in the Mariana Trench.

[..]

On a side note -- hey Keatah, you know that every generation thinks that their music/comics/movies/etc from when they were teenagers was the best, and that kids these days don't have any taste, right? It's a well worn cliche because it's true.

Yes I s'pose that is so. Kids are much more impressionable than adults and have less discriminating tastes. As they grow up some of them make better choices and start filtering out the trash. And as they get older it takes much more pounding to hammer something into them - which explains modern advertising's ridiculous antics.

Myself being a child of the 70's I still adopt new games and new electronic devices from time to time. But filter out a lot of noise in the process.

I have been following this thread for a while now and it has been such an interesting read. Despite the kind of splenetic humor of my parody video, I really thought this project was interesting and I am sad that it has devolved into the circus that it is (although, deservedly so, based on the PR).

Welcome to AtariAge! Your "Nostalgia SH-IT" parody video is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while: right on the nose, and very timely!

One of the (few) positive outcomes of this project is that reviewing all the coverage of the RVGS has introduced me to shows like yours. I'll definitely be checking our your other videos!

WTH?

That video doesn't make sense at all. Mike's been going on and on about how they don't have money to make a prototype, but yet they have one? They're building a game platform, but test it with a desktop, Windows based environment? That also really looks like Windows, which doesn't run on ARM and definitely not on an FPGA, so what hardware are they actually running?

I'm not going to call hoax, since so little was shown and said in the video, but that video is highly suspect.

Edit:

I mean to say that it looks like an old version of Windows, which doesn't work on ARM. I know there's Windows RT, but it definitely doesn't look like RT on his screen.

Okay, the RetroVGS "lab" is a bunch of crap on his kitchen table. Power supply supplies power to the blinking light-festooned board inside the translucent jaguar shell. Then there are some windows on the screen, manipulated by a mouse and keyboard, but too far away to see or interpret. Some mumbo jumbo about not wanting their trade secrets stolen by a competitor, mention made of an unnamed "top patent lawyer in Silicon Valley." Are we to be impressed by the fact that it did not visibly catch fire on camera during the <2 minute video?

• Like 2

I have been following this thread for a while now and it has been such an interesting read. Despite the kind of splenetic humor of my parody video, I really thought this project was interesting and I am sad that it has devolved into the circus that it is (although, deservedly so, based on the PR). I just saw this video of a "working prototype" on YouTube and it didn't seem that impressive, but perhaps the experts here can tell if it is in anyway approaching legitimacy.

Well played.

Edit: I thought this was another parody video, I was wrong.

• Like 1

WTH?

Edit:

Maybe he's been spending all this time reverse engineering windows 98 to run an ARM

• Like 2

Carts were a means to an end back in the day. A true cost cutting measure. A way to contain and permit swapping of the game-changing circuitry. No pun intended. Then came magnetic disks, optical discs, and now online distro.

Last thing I want to do after a 12 hour day at work is come home and find myself searching through a mess of cartridges for Gyruss. I'd rather pull out an SD card and plug it in and get playing instantly.. Pull out the jewelry box like container, with LED lights, displaying 50 SD cards nicely organized and spiffied up. Once for each classic system and a handful of other PC things. It's basically the same thing as swapping carts, just a different ritual. The adult way.

SD - goddamned great:

"DLC" level maps can be added.

Sound and graphic packs can be added.

Settings can be changed semi-permanently.

Executables can be patched and updated.

All that can be transported with you.

And most are now waterproof, not that you'll be playing them in the Mariana Trench.

Jumps back 60 or so pages to read about how you loved carts .... don't slip a disc with all the back flipping.

Well its certainly something. It could help sway those that don't know the hard questions to ask.

In reality it could be anything under the clear cover. Could be anything on the monitor. To their credit they got a Fluke 87 DMM!

Maybe he's been spending all this time reverse engineering windows 98 to run an ARM

That's seriously what it looks like! I can almost see the old Windows 98 desktop icons along the left side of that tiny monitor.

So if they're really concerned about disclosing trade secrets or endangering their patent by showing us too much (which sounds like a crock to me), why can't they at least show a close-up view of the monitor? Nobody's going to learn anything about the inner workings of the system by seeing a quick graphics demo. Why even bother if you've got nothing but blinking, flashing lights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GyBfZ1xLhM

As the man himself says, "Why doesn't somebody pull the plug?"

• Like 2

This was addressed in my interview. I am glad they have chosen to at least show it because it would have been a sad moment when this came to light. I can't really blame John for disabling comments on this video.

Transcription is moving along.

Edited by triverse

Welcome to AtariAge! Your "Nostalgia SH-IT" parody video is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while: right on the nose, and very timely!

One of the (few) positive outcomes of this project is that reviewing all the coverage of the RVGS has introduced me to shows like yours. I'll definitely be checking our your other videos!

Thanks for the kind words. Happy to be here. I had heard of AtariAge before, but never really came before this fiasco. So, as others have said, at least it is letting us discover cool new sites and people.

• Like 1

This was addressed in my interview. I am glad they have chosen to at least show it because it would have been a sad moment when this came to light. I can't really blame John for disabling comments on this video.

Do they talk about what this 'prototype' actually is? It honestly doesn't look legit, so I'd be very interested to learn more about it.

Part of me wonders if they're just using the term 'prototype' incorrectly again, like they are with the controller (which is an existing product and not a prototype). Could they have potentially taken a mini air-cooled PC and put it in the case? Maybe they use it for ARM and FPGA development, so they feel justified calling it a prototype?