IGNORED

Better output from my systems

travelnjones

Hi Everyone

I am looking to get better video out of my systems. Do any of you have ideas? My atari 2600 is composite modded, I cant actually find my power/RF for my 5200 and my 7800 is normal. I am willing to entertain any ideas.

I write this because I recently found out about SCART for other systems. I felt a little blind sided not knowing that stuff and wanted to at least ask if there was something like this on the atari front. It would be cool to scart mod my coleco or 7800. Or if there is any sort of third party box that cleans up signal. I am willing to look at anything.

SCART just indicates the shape of the connector, not the video quality because it can carry different kind of video signals.

Originally the SCART standard included stereo audio, composite and RGBs signals. Later S-video was added and some TVs and devices also support YPbPr (but this is not standard and the pin assignement may vary on different brand equipements).

The Atari 2600/5200/7800 video chips natively output S-video, and all the various video mods available at the moment just tap those signals from the board and amplify them to the correct level (some mods are better than other in doing this, intriducing the minimum amount of interference). So S-video is the best quality you can get. Getting composite output require a simplier modification and still manages to improve the quality a lot compared to RF.

The connector doesn't matter. You can use rca, din, SCART or any other you like (and if you aren't in Europe doesn't make sense to use SCART, as your TV won't have A SCART socket).

Edited by alex_79

Sorry i guess I was referring to the RGB SCART as SCART. I have been going through some of the videos online and have gathered a few Scart cable and an upscaler that outputs HDMI. The cables i have ordered are for Sega Saturn and Jaguar.

I have two goals in asking. The first is to have good picture quality with correct colors and not bleeding. The second is to have connection to a modern television, I guess meaning HDMI. I say that because the no name tv i bought recently only had hdmi, and I want to play river raid in my 60's.

I guess i could mod my 7800 to svideo and keep my 2600 at composite. and use something like this thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETCSHP-Composite-Converter-Upscaler/dp/B003NS0UUQ

I have no idea what to do with my 5200 4 controller model, though i do keep a CRT that has the screw typ connectors and coax