IGNORED

BRAND NEW ANTI DUST COVER for ATARI XE

as...

I have not performed any tests with UV, as it needs time. For those of you wanted to know more, look here:

http://www.opencroquet.org/wholesale/pz666e66d-cz5046565-light-yellow-crystalline-powder-benzophenone-uv-absorber-for-polyolefin-pvc-polystyrene.html

As I said before, yellowing is caused not only by UV radiation, but also by temperature fluctuations and other factors. My primary idea was to protect device against dust and dirt, UV is only additional feature of this cover.

And I want to clarify one thing: it is not thin, brittle plastic. It is 1 mm thick, similar to blister packages, but much thicker. It is not fully rigid, has some flexibility, what protects it against damage.

But, you can only believe or not in my words. Just buy and see for yourself. If for some reasons you are not satisfied, you can return the product....

Did you think about using polycarbonate? Apparently it blocks most UV radiation without needing special treatment.

Polycarbonate is much more expensive and its processing is more difficult and then expensive too. Price of dust covers is quite high yet, some of you complain about it. Do you want it even more expensive really? They are made of Polyethylene which is at the end polished, so it looks pretty good. It blocks UV too, especially UV-C range, which causes yellowing. Anyway, as I said before - I cannot guarantee that your lovely machine will not be yellowing, because UV is only one of many factors influencing it. Currently, dust covers are good looking and dust protective, what was my primary goal.

I've tried anti-UV lacquers before with zero success, ending up with re-yellowed plastic under a layer which needs stripping off before it can be retreated. Only the brown vinyl cover on my 1200XL manages to keep things from tarnishing too quickly. Good thing about these new covers is you can still appreciate the machine underneath and the need to fanny about with protective sprays is hopefully reduced.

That is what I liked about this product, it does not hide the machine which is great.

Shame the yellow *may* still be an issue and I don't like sprays as they tend to dissolve in time or simply get rubbed off hence to see if it was an internal part of the plastic.

I like what I am seeing but my old 800 needs to be supported (if there was enough interest of course)..

Shame the yellow *may* still be an issue and I don't like sprays as they tend to dissolve in time or simply get rubbed off hence to see if it was an internal part of the plastic.

The thing about ANY anti-UV measures is that they take a LONG time to evaluate, so of course it's unreasonable to expect Duddie to say "this will prevent yellowing". I only heard about the (negative) results of anti-UV lacquer on a 130XE I sold 2-3 years ago the other week: it went brown again. So it seems to be better to make something affordable which MAY help the situation than to throw an expensive polycarbonate solution at the problem only to find the machine still goes brown later on because of oxidisation, etc. I have keyboards left wrapped in bales of bubble-wrap in darkened cupboards for years. They looked new when they went in, and mustard-yellow when they came out. :)

Some light UV protection is just a nice bonus, I guess.

I am going to offer 800XL dust cover, Atari STF(M) dust cover (suitable also for STE and Falcon), maybe short ST (with no disk drive). Would some of you be interested?

I am interested in the 800xl dust cover...

Q: will the Cartridge slot still be available for a cartridge to stay in place..

I do not think that slot for cartridge is good idea, because dust can come into it then.... When you are using your computer, you are not using dust cover on it, first - because it would not allow you to use keyboard, second - computer may get overheated due to poor air circulation....

I am going to offer 800XL dust cover, Atari STF(M) dust cover (suitable also for STE and Falcon), maybe short ST (with no disk drive). Would some of you be interested?

Yes, I am interested in the STE and Falcon covers. I am still interested in the XE cover too. I like that they are form fitting and clear.

Polycarbonate is much more expensive and its processing is more difficult and then expensive too. Price of dust covers is quite high yet, some of you complain about it. Do you want it even more expensive really? They are made of Polyethylene which is at the end polished, so it looks pretty good. It blocks UV too, especially UV-C range, which causes yellowing. Anyway, as I said before - I cannot guarantee that your lovely machine will not be yellowing, because UV is only one of many factors influencing it. Currently, dust covers are good looking and dust protective, what was my primary goal.

Oh, didn't know it's more expensive especially knowing that polycarbonate is used in plastic water bottles. I thought that material combined with some tinting (like a sunglass) would help keep most UV rays away from our Ataris. Anyway, just a conversation about different options, like somebody else noted above, it's not a criticism of your product.

Edited by atari8warez

Oh, didn't know it's more expensive especially knowing that polycarbonate is used in plastic water bottles.

Well, I just wonder, if I designed such a bottle in some original shape for my purposes, and requested 100 pieces from the producer, would the producer really still chargé me 18 USD per piece, just like for a standard bottle produced in standard quantities, like tens of millions, probably...

Well, I just wonder, if I designed such a bottle in some original shape for my purposes, and requested 100 pieces from the producer, would the producer really still chargé me 18 USD per piece, just like for a standard bottle produced in standard quantities, like tens of millions, probably...

Probably not, but we're talking about the material cost here. In a production of small quantities, the determining factor is usually the setup fee to potential sales volume ratio rather than the material itself, unless of course a particular material is unusually expensive. Had the cost of polycarbonate been prohibitive you wouldn't have seen it used in such mundane things like water bottles. That's of course my opinion and i may be wrong, so let's look at the actual costs:

I am not sure how thick the computer covers are, but here's some polycarbonate sheet prices for reference. In 0.76 mm (0.03") thickness, they aren't really that expensive.

One sheet gives you about 6 covers and purchased at quantities of 25+ the unit price is $10.48, so cost per cover is about $1.75. I don't think that'll break the bank..

Edited by atari8warez

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. This dust Cover arrived today and I wanted to give everyone a idea of what it is like. Overall It is a good cover and very clear. It is not totally rigid, but it is not too flimsy. It looks very good on my XE.

Here is how it was shipped with a black plastic wrap around the box:

packing.png

Under the wrapping was the actual box. The box got slightly dented during shipping.

unboxing.png

Inside the box, the dust cover was ok.

openbox.png

The dust cover is very clear plastic. But mine had a scratch on the top corner. It is hard to see in the picture. I wasn't too happy about that considering the cost of the cover.

case.pngscratch.png

One the XE, it goes right over. The problem with the scratch is that it makes it look like my XE case is cracked on the fins.

scratchfront.png

From the side you can see the mold is not entirely form-ftted. The plastic isn't angled to allow it to lay flush, so it rocks a bit if touched.

Here it is from the side. You can see at the back it is raised slightly.

side.jpg

Here is a video showing how it rocks a bit when touched.

http://youtu.be/D18MJIC5z8g

(Is it possible to embed youtube videos here instead of just a link?)

The shipping time from Poland was 12 days so that is normal. No out of the ordinary delays. The seller has good communication.

So overall it is a good quality cover and I will be buying one for my STE and Falcon. I hope that the producers will be careful not to scratch the plastic though.

I like this cover better than a cloth one since it is clear and I can see my XE right through it!

I would like to give it an A grade but I have to lower it just slightly to a B due to the scratch and slight wobble.

• Like 2

The dust cover is very clear plastic. But mine had a scratch on the top corner. It is hard to see in the picture. I wasn't too happy about that considering the cost of the cover.

Personally I think you should get $5 off or something. New items shouldn't come with scratches on them.

TheNameOfTheGame: of course I can ship another one, if you think that scratch is a manufacturing defect. I treat seriously all buyers, especially you, because you are first customer for cover on ebay. I can also give you a discount on ST cover. It's up to you.

• Like 2

Hello Duddie. The scratch is hard to see until it is put on the XE and then it more noticeable. Maybe you can check the covers on a real machine before putting them in the bag and boxing?

Maybe you can throw a replacement in the box when I order the STE and Falcon one? That way it would be no additional postage?

As I said in the review, I like the cover a lot and will be buying more for the Falcon and STE. They are crystal clear and quite attractive.

I hope my review doesn't stop anyone from buying one. All reviews have to say the positive and not so positive right? Overall the cover is very nice and well worth buying to protect our XEs. :-D

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame
  • Like 1

TheNameOfTheGame, ok, I will try to put one in the box when shipping ST cover to you. I am very grateful for all your opinions, it helps me to improve products and service. Anyway, it seems that XE is not very popular series, therefore, I do not plan to make a second batch of covers, when the first one is out of stock. If anybody is still considering to buy it or not - please hurry, only around 20 left.

• Like 1

Got mine (three ones, actually). There is indeed some clearance as said above, but I do not consider this a problem, the covers are excellent IMHO; and, as some bonus, the cardboard box also looks excellent to pack an Atari before transporting it to or from a party. Thanks!

PS. Also, mine have no scratches :)

Edited by drac030