IGNORED

Council trying to shut down local arcade - Gameroom Essentials

Amstari

This may sound like the plot of an 80s movies but the council has shut down a retro arcade in South Australia upsetting hundreds of retro gamers.

I go to this arcade all the time with my kids and it's a great place they can have the same pinball and arcade experience I had as a kid. All the pinballs and arcade machines are on free play. You just pay to get in. There is 80s music playing, a console room, quizzes and pinball tournaments. They have lots of birthday parties there too, for all ages.

I know most people on AtariAge will never have the chance to go there but as retro gamers I'm calling out for your support! Even just some words of encouragement on their Facebook page. Share this story with other retro games and help save an amazing arcade.

https://www.facebook.com/GameRoomEssentials

• Like 2

I read your post, link and all the links from the Facebook page and wish any of the "quotes" from the inspectors would have been recorded. I mean seriously, why the heck would this arcade be targeted like that? It seems to me that the proprietor just needs to get his business up to snuff to fire code. If he is unable to do that, rent another building that is within code.

• Like 2

I've been there dozens of times and it didn't seem a fire hazard to me, the ground floor has lots of exits. The upper floor which mostly had consoles and computers only has stairs for an exit so he closed down that section and moved the consoles downstairs. It is much safer than the play cafes where kids could be stuck inside play equipment during a fire.

If it didn't meet the councils standards they could help them get up to standard but they basically had already decided to shut them down. Did you read how he offered to move arcade machines into the carpark so a party could still go ahead? They wouldn't even allow that.

There has been a lot of support, even other councils offering to find a new location, so hopefully the arcade will survive but it will be a lot of work to move.

• 9 months later...

Here is an update about the arcade. I should have posted something a few months ago because they are changing venues again.

After several months of searching Danny (arcade owner) set up in a temporary location at an old Blockbuster store. It was a lot smaller than the original location but only 5 minutes from my house.

Here is a video of the original location (this place was huge).

And here is setting up the temporary location

And a promotional video of the temporary location.

Now they have found a permanent location at a bowling alley that went out of business, it has lots of room and has all the appropriate facilities and approvals for an entertainment venue. Unfortunately the bowling lanes had been stripped so no chance of get that back, but it is going to be filled with pinballs, arcade machines and consoles.

Here is a news story about the new venue (my kids are in the photo too): http://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/gameroom-essentials-to-start-up-new-permanent-home-in-ingle-farm/news-story/eedc1f3dbf7f2c915bbe4ada4033abb7