IGNORED

Looking to buy a 7800

Sapicco

Hi everyone. I was hoping for some guidance before making a purchase. Anything special I need to know before picking up a console? Like, do I need any special connectors to hook up to my tv? I just have hd tvs in the house and want to make sure I can run things properly. Also, whats a good price for a cib system? Thanks.

Also looking to get into 7800. Is there such a thing as a harmony cartridge for 7800?

Not that I mind collecting a load of original physical carts of course. I'm worried I might be way late to the scene tough. I may have missed a whole load of limited homebrew software/hardware runs??

Edited by Guitari

You'll see better compatibility with 2600 carts if you get an older model with an expansion slot on the side. I had two 7800s, one with that plays everything, and one without that couldn't play Imagic carts and some other oddly shaped ones. If you have a 2600 and plan on keeping it for 2600 games, then there's no reason to get one.

You'll see better compatibility with 2600 carts if you get an older model with an expansion slot on the side. I had two 7800s, one with that plays everything, and one without that couldn't play Imagic carts and some other oddly shaped ones. If you have a 2600 and plan on keeping it for 2600 games, then there's no reason to get one.

I've had 2600s since the eighties and a ton of carts. I want to explore what the 7800 has to offer letter. The back compatibility is a bonus.

Is the expansion slot a must have? Will it be used with the xm?

I picked mine up from Best Electronics and did an unboxing of the package I got a couple years ago. It is a good route to go but a bit pricey. eBay sellers do ask a lot for 7800s but you can score a deal if you shop around for awhile.

Good plan thank you and I do use best albeit I find it hard to communicate with them, but actually I would like a pal version. Are all the homebrews on the AA store pal compatible?

This is all very strange starting from scratch building knowledge of the 7800... Having had 2600s most of my life and lynx and jaguar for a good deal of it!

Do you have coax on your tv? If not you might want to think about a composite mod. I bought mine already modded from Best Electronics. Imo people ask for too much on eBay.

Sorry I am a bit of a noob with the terms, if that is the same connection I would normally screw my cable wire..or a turbo grafx 16 for example, then yes I do.

Edited by Sapicco
  • Like 1

You are welcome for the links, but I would not pay $250 for an atari 7800 even with games, box and more unless it was the 1984 original with expansion port, that definitely plays all games, revision 0. And from the looks of that box it seems like a 1986 revision 2 board. However that is the common one, and one people a/v and audio for some reason.

I know lots of people are against A/V mods... but it does help in the, "picture quality" department. I would never do it to a hard to find, rare console though, just the, "dime a dozen" consoles. :)

I was lucky enough to come across an "expansion Interface" 7800 with original box... I wouldn't dream of ever A/V modding that since there are so many later model 7800s floating around out there.

I don't see the big deal in AV modding a console. Consoles are meant to be played, not thought of as some "pristine ideal". My 7800 is my only Atari console, so of course I got an expansion slot model for full compatibility and had it modded. It's mine, and it will likely stay mine until it's kaput.

That $250 Ebay lot is way over priced. The games it comes with are all very common and not worth much. You don't want the joysticks that come in the lot either. They are nicknamed 'Painlines" for a reason. I havn't used a CX78 joypad but I hear good things about them.

I would rather get this from Best Electronics and then pick up some game lot's off ebay for much less money. The only negative is that you would not have the box. You would also need a 7800 joystick for games that need two independant buttons. The CX78 would be a good choice.

Reconditioned Atari US CX7800 System. Comes with CX7800 Console (All in like New condition), two New Non Atari brand BP or Pro-Stick Joysticks your choice (Click here to see pictures of the Joysticks) (Some Atari 7800 game cartridges require an Atari CX24 Joystick or CX78 Joypad for proper game operation), New Atari CX7800 Power Supply, New Atari Cable Ready Universal TV Switch Box (better than stock supplied 7800 original non cable ready Atari TV switch box), New Upgraded Atari RF Cable (better than stock supplied 7800 short RF cable), New boxed Atari 7800 Jinks game with Owners Manual (see Atari 7800 Game listing below for more information on the Atari 7800 Jinks game), New 7800 System Owners Manual and comes with the same Atari 90 day Warranty as when they were first released! CX7800-RE $89.95

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback! How do I know if it has the expansion slot? Of course the ore gamesi can buy/play the better! Can I tell by the box? I want a boxed one, but the best deal is quite appealing. Tep392, is that one from best the version with expansion slot?

Do you think this one has the has the expansion slot? http://www.ebay.com/itm/361227377116?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT