IGNORED

What's the best non-game use of your computer

LDA#$AF

I would be interested in hearing what types of projects you've seen, heard about, done, or considered doing with your 8-bit that aren't game related.

Are there any cool things that an 8-bit can do that are somewhat practical or useful beyond nostalgia?

The ones I've thought of have been:

automatically operate an electric train set

use it to work with the Lego Robots

connect to weather sensors

your thoughts, please...

Back in 1982, I was part of a college fraternity .. and we put together a homecoming display that was made out of wood, chicken wire, and pastel tissue paper .. There was a robot, and several spinning turntable items ..all powered with relay controlled AC motors .. and music syncronized with control interfaced through the front controller ports of the Atari 800. I remember I built a power transistor interface that took the TTL signals from the Atari and then would switch the relays on/off. A friend and I wrote a timing program in basic that would trigger the controller ports in sequence and then at the end it would reset all the motorized animations.

Cool!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

...with your 8-bit...

I'd guess the Atari computer. I wouldn't have replied to the other thing :ponder:

Oh...also I programmed a digital clock to run on my small backup Atari400. It would scream "WAKE UP!" (from Cheech & Chong's Sister Mary Elephant).

A buddy of mine's father used his 8bit to track seismic waves in the earth to track Earthquakes and Volcanic activity - actually got something during the Mt St Helens one (he was on the East Coast)

He then turned it to space and tried to find ET :)

I used to use a 16-bit sound routine and pipe it out to a bullhorn to drive the neighbor's dogs crazy when they'd start yapping in the middle of the night :evil:

Memories...

That sounds kinda similar to a story related many years ago by Dave Small. You can read it here.

:D