IGNORED

What to do with a homeless pacman

SIO2

I have a handful of loose PCB's & think the creativity & ingenuity is inspiring ... I will probably be soon having a key-chain made.

as I type this my mind is reeling with other materials other than cardboard , but will most likely stay with cardboard & tape.

I think a Popsicle-stick console with lolipop switches would be great too :D

• Like 1

I got it out of the trash after it had been mailed. That's called recycling. Hey I was trying to save the Earth. Yeah, you are welcome.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I haven't calculated the cost-benefit analysis), it's still illegal.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/reusing-cardboard-postal-boxes-illegal

I just recycle the ones I get (rather than reuse them as you're doing) just in case someone ever throws a fit about it.

At least they're not sending us to the post office for medical checkups yet.

But we are picking up our packages at the Waffle House now, so anything is possible:

wtvr.com/2015/03/02/mailing-a-package-waffle-house-wants-to-help-deliver-it/

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I haven't calculated the cost-benefit analysis), it's still illegal.

I just recycle the ones I get (rather than reuse them as you're doing) just in case someone ever throws a fit about it.

Thank you for the article link. I apologize and will never use their box for anything other than priority mail. That is a sincere public apology from me to everyone here and the post office.

I really appreciate their service and I know a lot of people try to cheat them. I never meant to. I thought it was just garbage. Now I know better.

But we are picking up our packages at the Waffle House now, so anything is possible:

wtvr.com/2015/03/02/mailing-a-package-waffle-house-wants-to-help-deliver-it/

So, a truck driver can order his new mud-flaps on Amazon and have 'em delivered by drone when he stops for greasy food and a smoke on the way to the next warehouse.

• Like 1

Mark IV : Codename = Unlimited Refills

Timeshare worked really well but wasn't 100% new construction and I don't like the face being open.

Unlimited Refills is constructed of .06 styrene plastic sheet and popsicle sticks. It opens like a wallet to allow exchange of cart PCB while also looking more like a traditional cart, allowing for a label and keeping the PCB covered. This could easily be built in 6 pieces of plastic. I used wood in places just because it was easier for me to shape.

If the PCB carrier and side pieces were die cut, assembly would be a snap. This hand built one was a challenge to cut without a hot knife. It is ugly inside but not too bad outside.

This is probably my last go at this. I think it proves there are options besides injection molding.

Oh yes. Almost forgot. This is an experimental design. Do not try this at home.

post-37734-0-93692100-1426013624_thumb.jpg

post-37734-0-68471200-1426013836_thumb.jpg

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is an awesome thread guys. I love the homebrew creativity. :D

I reuse mailers on a regular basis. I've also used them to sort small miscellaneous trinkets. Thing is, I only ever used priority boxes to ship priority, primarly because I'm not in the business of reselling and I don't have use for 10x of whatever size is convenient. Using a recycled priority box to ship priority isn't a crime last I checked. In fact, I once asked a postal employee if I could reship merch in an old box (they did not have stock in the size I needed) and they let me use it as long as I shipped Priority and not something else. But I could see a potential issue if someone is doing Media Mail or ReadyPost or some other service with them.

Edited by stardust4ever

• 5 weeks later...

This is an awesome thread guys. I love the homebrew creativity. :D

I reuse mailers on a regular basis. I've also used them to sort small miscellaneous trinkets. Thing is, I only ever used priority boxes to ship priority, primarly because I'm not in the business of reselling and I don't have use for 10x of whatever size is convenient. Using a recycled priority box to ship priority isn't a crime last I checked. In fact, I once asked a postal employee if I could reship merch in an old box (they did not have stock in the size I needed) and they let me use it as long as I shipped Priority and not something else. But I could see a potential issue if someone is doing Media Mail or ReadyPost or some other service with them.

watch out , some just say "mailing box" & others say "flat rate box"

kl0I2PH.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well first tried the cartwich style & did a bad circle but have layers on top so cart can't be inserted upside down

then I got the idea to take the self-closing hinge out of a case for eyeglasses & use that ....

n4T3xQI.jpg

first try with hot melt glue alone didn't keep hinge seated correctly against back of cart

jtkPkdK.jpg

I glued in some ridged tabs (recording tabs you break out of a VHS to prevent recording over the tape :idea: )

also the ones I placed towards center of cart were snipped short to accommodate the longer PCB's some games have

5HT57kE.jpg

it IS possible to place board upside down still .... the IC chip goes towards the original face label

hDQ4NlS.jpg

I only left the front two tabs that keep cart closed, the hinge seemed to be only slightly to wide & there is a gap on back side of cart .... leaves room to easily get fingernail in there | :)

JDoLt5Y.jpg

all I would have left to do is make a handsome label as the O.P has done

Edited by chas10e
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, anybody want to trade for my Chase Chuck Wagon proto or my digish Space Invaders?post-37734-0-80528200-1430972846_thumb.jpg

Just kidding. Tonight I was counting my huge stockpile of mint Chase the Chuck Wagon carts that I have been hoarding for my retirement when I thought of this thread and had an inspiration.

Thanks to some legal advice from my good friends here on Atari age I just happened to have some high dollar plastic sheeting on hand. This is what I came up with. Plastic welded cart.

post-37734-0-80763300-1430973099_thumb.jpg

That plastic works nice. Sure welds better than cardboard. :)

Yes, I did weld a lid on it not just flip it over for the photo. That would be a cheap trick wouldn't it.

Edited by SIO2