IGNORED

Weird Genesis Controller Issue

doug0909

I put DB9 Ports on the side of my Odyssey 2. When using 2600 or 7800 controllers everything works fine, including diagonals and the button. However, when I stick my one working Genesis controller in, everything works fine (with the "B" fire button) except....

If I am moving in a DIAGONAL and press Button B while holding the diagonal position, instead of registering the button while the diagonal movement is going, it does not register the button at all and the direction is shifted on the horizontal plane (i.e. if I press the button while holding diagonal up/left, the direction will switch to diagonal up/right with no button register; if I am pushing down/right and hit the button, it shifts to down/left with no button register). I'm thinking it must be busted and I should buy more genesis pads on ebay... or is it possible this is an electrical problem?

It was me on the videopac forum.

The genesis pad has electronic circuit that needs power to operate, while tha Atari standard joystick is just made of mechanical switches and just needs 5 wires for directions and fire button and a common one (ground on pin 8 ).

On genesis console, pin 8 is ground (like in the Atari), pin 5 is power (+5V) and pin 7 is the "select line" (while it's power on the Atari).

If pin 7 is set HIGH (+5v) the console can read the directions + button B and C,

If pin 7 is set LOW (0V=ground), the console can read up and down directions, plus button A and Start.

Because of the way it is internally wired (even if it wasn't designed to do so), the genesis pad is able to be powered also by the select line.

When it is connected to an Atari console, pin 7 act both as select line (so directions and B button map to the Atari joystick inputs) and as power source. That's where the compability with Atari consoles come from and if you want to replicate it on the Odyssey2, you need to apply power on pin 7.

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 1

Yep, for example some homebrews detect if there's a paddle or a joystick plugged in and could detect the genesis pad as a paddle. The Harmony cart menu does that (but you can skip the autodetection by keeping the "C" button pressed while powering the console). Other games might also rely on the state of paddle lines and therefore be incompatible with the genesis pad. Anyway most games that uses joystick just ignore the paddle lines status and works just fine.
No isseus in case of the Odyssey2 mod because there aren't paddle lines at all (pin 5 and 9 are unused).

According to the service manual, the Atari CX22 trackball (the one with round buttons) came in two versions: the first one only worked in joystick mode and has no switch, while the second has a JS-TB mode switch on the side (you can find pictures in this post). I think that the CX80 model (triangular buttons) always has the switch (here some pictures).

Check also this page for more info:

http://www.2600connection.com/faq/controllers/faq_controllers.html#trackballs