IGNORED

Kickstarter for new C64 case

RobertB

While cruising the forums, I discovered this --

The photo of the C64 case mold is very interesting.

FCUG celebrating 33 years,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

July 18-19 Commodore Vegas Expo v11 2015 --

• Like 2

ACK! I came over here to post the same :)

Yes yes yes, folks, we need to back this. I will be pledging for all three colors, myself. Though, I would very much like to get hold of the original color to replace my crappy one; ah well. Definitely not balking at this opportunity.

One thing I am unsure about: are these the case molds for the 64C case or the conversion cases? The 64C motherboards (revision E) are about half the size of the older revisions, so I suspect the screw mounts will be in different positions between the two (I never saw a conversion case.) Anyone know for certain?

It's going to get funded, but there's an unfortunate lack of information, like how easy this will be to retrofit, what other work, if any, will needed to be done to the cases (screw holes) when received, etc. The person has the molds, but doesn't seem to have any experience in using molds, so may not even be able to answer those basic questions.

I am prepared to do whatever preparation is needed and funded. Whatever I get I can make work, so I figure I will be happy.

I have a confession and an apology to make -- although collectors more concerned about value will thank me, I suppose. I recall in my early years that I had a good number of older Commodore 64 boards, including ones with numerous ceramic chips. These are apparently quite sought after, and back then to me they were crap: the newer boards I had available were so much more modern, better chips, better technology. I mean, these were ten years old newer ones were still being produced, so I trashed them. Not even a single chip was saved.

Augh... what did I do?!

I don't have a C64 nor do I plan to get one and while this seems kind of cool, there has got to be a way to update the keyboard so it doesn't look so out of place against the new molds. Also, why not offer it in a translucent/frosted version as well or do people just feel those are ugly? because personally, I don't see the appeal in these cases unless you need to replace the old one. I guess the blue one is kind of cool but why not a solid black option even?

As for various transparent cases, he already posted that ABS plastic gets dull over time so one would need another, more expensive type of plastic. Probably he wanted to touch the water with this one, which seems to work out very well, before experimenting with other, more expensive plastics. I don't know why no black, several other asked too.

Update the keyboard? That can be difficult. Either you have an off-white C64C keyboard of some variant, or you have a brown-black keyboard from the original breadbox. Some people have tried to retrofit C64 keycaps on top of Cherry keyboard mechanisms, which is rather costly (well above $150 in materials only) and even those reuse the old keycaps, as there is so far noone who 3D prints or otherwise manufactures new, matching keycaps. I suppose that would be the real deal though, to find molds that hold a set of keycaps, and then some solution to laser print the text onto them after molding. I have a feeling it once was a two part process though, as the plastic on the inside of the caps tends to be white while the outer surface is black. Perhaps that is no longer a required process, as long as the caps and in particular the pins that hold the caps to the plunger that hits the keyboard circuit board, last a few more years of use. Most common fault on Commodore keyboards is that the plunger pin breaks in half, and in your hand you get the keycap with half the plunger inserted.

I don't know why no black, several other asked too.

i think he's pitching the current colours as "special edition" which won't be produced again after the initial run, so hopefully that means there'll be future runs where black is an option - if that's right, offering it from day one would've removed the option later.

i think he's pitching the current colours as "special edition" which won't be produced again after the initial run, so hopefully that means there'll be future runs where black is an option - if that's right, offering it from day one would've removed the option later.

That sounds pretty half-baked to me. Why do people do this?

That sounds pretty half-baked to me. Why do people do this?

Having a "limited editon" attracts the punters i s'pose, but if you want to keep going after the first batch it makes sense to avoid using the colours that people would really want...?

Why are people so gullible to go after something called "limited edition"? It's so artificial! Bunch of saps taken in by not even clever marketing.

Or it could be as simple as people wanting new cases, with the "limited edition" aspect having far less baring on the purchasing decision. The desire for new cases is definitely a thing, particularly for those light colored systems that lose their original look over time.

Great that such a thing is on the table, but the vibrant primary colors don't do anything for me. See some entry level turntables being produced with similar looking plinths and platters these days too. Grew out of the Fisher Price and My First Sony stuff decades ago. :lol:

post-13896-0-97659100-1426022067_thumb.jpg post-13896-0-50898200-1426022108_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If you search eBay for custom modified C64's, they often come in bright colours such as red or blue, carefully repainted by the modder who might have added a second SID chip, other I/O connections, built-in memory card reader, different ROM sets and various other nifty options. Also those modded C64's fetch remarkably high amounts of money, at least they used to a few years ago. Much more than the cost of materials, so clearly people pay top dollar for well performed craftwork and the look.

In that perspective, the choice of injecting new cases in red and blue doesn't seem as odd any longer, although I'm not quite as convinced this will be a long running business that will churn out thousands after thousands of new cases. Perhaps the injection company has a minimum of number of units produced per colour to make it worthwhile, so this is why he settled for 500 of each colour instead of offering five colours and 300 of each.

This guy holds molds to the Plus/4 and C128 too but as far as I can see hasn't mentioned his plans to ever try to use them. The demand probably is far less, perhaps the C128 would be profitable to reprint in a medium sized batch.

Too bad the C128 and Amiga 500 don't share the same case and keyboard, otherwise he could've catered the Amiga folks too, although many of those long ago upgraded from 500's.

7800fan wrote:

> USA got the metal case 128D and not the all plastic version with carry handle.

Europe and Australia also got the metal C128DCR.

FCUG celebrating 33 years,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

July 18-19 Commodore Vegas Expo v11 2015 --

http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

This guy holds molds to the Plus/4 and C128 too but as far as I can see hasn't mentioned his plans to ever try to use them. The demand probably is far less, perhaps the C128 would be profitable to reprint in a medium sized batch.

Too bad the C128 and Amiga 500 don't share the same case and keyboard, otherwise he could've catered the Amiga folks too, although many of those long ago upgraded from 500's.

I would not mind putting my 128 in a clear case, just for kicks. My Amiga 500, too, for that matter, as it is pretty decked out. I am about to do the 128MB mod to my Derringer, too -- WOOT!