IGNORED

Thinking about getting a PS4...

Tempest

I'm considering getting a PS4, but honestly I'm not seeing anything out that really interests me (maybe Diablo III, but I have that on my PC). For the record I play mostly JRPGs and some western RPGs (WRPG?), with a smattering of action adventure type games here and there. I see FF XV and Dragon Quest Heroes coming out towards the end of this year along with Disgaea 5 (which still looks like a PS2 game), but not much else. When are the big RPGs going to hit the PS4? I might be interested in FF Type-0 HD if I could figure out what the heck the game is about (kind of looks like Crisis Core from what I can tell).

Are RPGs just not popular anymore? Is everything a FPS or Survival Horror game now? Usually a year into a console's lifespan there's SOMETHING I want to play, but I'm coming up with nothing here.

I'm considering getting a PS4, but honestly I'm not seeing anything out that really interests me (maybe Diablo III, but I have that on my PC). For the record I play mostly JRPGs and some western RPGs (WRPG?), with a smattering of action adventure type games here and there. I see FF XV and Dragon Quest Heroes coming out towards the end of this year along with Disgaea 5 (which still looks like a PS2 game), but not much else. When are the big RPGs going to hit the PS4? I might be interested in FF Type-0 HD if I could figure out what the heck the game is about (kind of looks like Crisis Core from what I can tell).

Are RPGs just not popular anymore? Is everything a FPS or Survival Horror game now? Usually a year into a console's lifespan there's SOMETHING I want to play, but I'm coming up with nothing here.

Matt, get a PS4. I'm glad my son wanted one so bad as without his influence I wouldn't have got one in my house and I'm glad we do. The infamous games are great, Wolf New Order is awesome, Wolf Old Blood out in a month or two and FF and DQ are on the way. It's a lot of money for a console but in this case I truely believe you get what you pay for.

I keep wondering if a new hardware revision isn't just around the corner though. I haven't heard of any problems with the PS4 like the PS3 and Xbox 360 had, but generally waiting for the first revision is a good plan.

If you want (J)RPG's you want a PS4. The PS3 just like the PS2 is getting lots of them late in it's life so you can probably still wait. The Vita is also an RPG machine.

Check out Persona 5 on PS4 later this year and Bloodborne (but only if you like Souls games).

No revisions that I can think of but its a nice machine, I've had no issues. I also have the lucky 20th anniversary edition console and had no issues with that (yes I opened it).

I so wanted that Playstation 20th anniversary version, but the prices were insane.

I forgot about Persona 5. I really need to get around to playing 3 and 4 though, I've had them for a long time now. I hear they're really good though.

I so wanted that Playstation 20th anniversary version, but the prices were insane.

I forgot about Persona 5. I really need to get around to playing 3 and 4 though, I've had them for a long time now. I hear they're really good though.

Nice games with a Pokemon type style (in this case Persona's), I would play Persona 4 if your strapped for time since that's the latest most "updated" version of the game. They are stand alone so you don't need to play P3 first or anything.

Some more games coming this year besides non exclusive games like The Witcher:

Akiba's Trip (this is out now):

http://www.amazon.com/Akibas-Trip-Undead-Undressed-PlayStation-4/dp/B00MA5TY50

Kingdom Hearts III:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_588010_134522470_pe_row1_b3_t/?ASIN=B00DBF81JS

FF10-10-2 Remaster:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_588010_134522470_pe_row1_b1_t/?ASIN=B00QU47SJG

The Banner Saga (excellent tactical RPG I have on Steam):

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/12/bringing-the-banner-saga-to-ps-vita-and-ps4/

15993120482_ac008ee125_n.jpg

I have the FF X/X-2 remaster for the PS3, I can't imagine what one earth they could add for a PS4 release. Give us FF XII remastered!

I didn't know that Kingdom Hearts III even had a release date. I need to replay the first two again since I've completely forgotten the story. Time to get those Remix's. :)

• Like 1

You really should play it, it's my favorite FF game. I just got the International Zodiac Job System version for my modded PS2 (It was a JPN/EU release only) which has specific jobs with specific abilities which balances out the game a bit (the 'free-for-all' method the original uses makes the game too easy). If they ever did a HD version I imagine they'd use IZJS instead of the original release.

I think I might load it up this weekend and play the beginning part of it.

I looked up the patch and I think I may try that out later at some time (I have a modded PS2 as well). I still have a backlog on PS3 RPG's to go through too. Not enough time :(

Here's another release for this year:

Omega Quinet

108059b.jpg

and I read Disgaea 5 won't be out till next year if your into those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgaea_5:_Alliance_of_Vengeance

There's also a turn based RPG on multiple consoles and PC called Child of Light which I played and beat. I had some fun with that and I don't think it was too expensive.

We have similar tastes in games, but I am not thinking about it until I've made a serious dent in my to play pile. Ni No Kuni.... that's how far behind I am.... with out soccer starting up again soon, the game controllers get put away.

Still, there are some thing on the PS4 horizon that interest me. Finally, a proper DQ game, but I hear that is not until 2015. Persona 5.... will the two versions be all that different. I will probably end up playing it on the PS 4 though by the time I can get to it.

I am highly skeptical about the next Final Fantasy game. VII had the advantage of being a title that said the "next gen" of JRPG is here at the time. VIII was horrendous. My last favorite one was IX. There were a lot of good things about X, and I enjoyed X and it's HD release, but Tidus is just as annoying as ever. After that, it is all crap on a disc to me, though XIII was somewhat playable after the first 20 hours of boredom and had some nice music.

Looking forward to KH III, but I can patiently wait.

They recently released a Japanese PS4 that was a Metal Slime version. I was very tempted to get that. It even had a metal slime oozing over the edge of the console. I have not heard of a US version of that though, and right now that would be the only thing that would make me buy it.

post-5132-0-71418500-1426811412_thumb.jpg

They recently released a Japanese PS4 that was a Metal Slime version. I was very tempted to get that. It even had a metal slime oozing over the edge of the console. I have not heard of a US version of that though, and right now that would be the only thing that would make me buy it.

attachicon.gificesgdly1qcdgxjfuicc.jpg

I think that slime thing comes off. I swear I saw a picture of it without it.

I'd get that console if they had a US version. All the cool consoles are JPN it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that slime thing comes off. I swear I saw a picture of it without it.

I'd get that console if they had a US version. All the cool consoles are JPN it seems.

I like that Dragon Quest console

Batman console coming.... actually Best Buy has a pre-order on it.

BatmanBundle1.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/03/31/announcing-the-limited-edition-batman-arkham-knight-ps4-bundle/

• 1 month later...

Well, I gave in. I rarely shop at Gamestop, but the free headset and a year of PS Plus did me in. I know that the free head set deal has been around, but the Playstation Plus freebie was today and tomorrow only. The deal applies to any consoles bundled with a game.

I am probably not going to activate the PS Plus until some things settle down though.

Well, I gave in. I rarely shop at Gamestop, but the free headset and a year of PS Plus did me in. I know that the free head set deal has been around, but the Playstation Plus freebie was today and tomorrow only. The deal applies to any consoles bundled with a game.

I am probably not going to activate the PS Plus until some things settle down though.

Pick up one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENFVJJO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the best charger you can get especially if you play local multiplayer stuff with your kid/wife/friends etc.......or those really long RPG sessions. :P

Not me there's lots to play. :)

Edit: Try one of the big three: The Witcher 3, Dragon Age or Bloodborne.

One of those you will like otherwise I'm not sure what I can tell you.. If your looking for JRPG's there's a few out and the FF remakes but those are always slow in coming.

There's still nothing I want to play. This generation is looking pretty poor from an RPG standpoint (unless you're into those retro/indie/download only titles, which I'm not).

Funny how some of us "old" timers still want to enjoy gaming in these times, but it's becoming increasingly harder to do so. Lack of games that appeal to us, goofy or poor console designs, flaky performance reliability wise, constant updates, DRM, internet only content, no more paper manuals, etc.

Oh well. At least we have the RVGS to look forward to! Maybe. :lol:

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that, lots of the indie games are throwbacks to 80's type stuff. You guys are missing out on some brilliant games IMO....most of which are on PC but the Xbox One and PS4 are slowly grabbing lots of them up. There's a lot of good stuff to play.

I just discovered a gem of a game called "Super Mega Baseball"....its a total 80's\90's type baseball game. So much in fact in inspired me to throw on "Hardball' on the C64....only to realize how crappy it's aged.

I love my Colecovision and Commodore 64 as much as everyone here but there's no way I can ever say "there's nothing to play". For me its just not true. Again, just my opinion and my own preferences.

• Like 1