IGNORED

Diamond Drop

Atarius Maximus

Diamond Drop is a small 4k game that is loosely based on the iOS game 'Duet', which I really enjoyed. You have two Diamonds at the bottom of the screen that will rotate in a circle in either direction along a diamond shaped path. Barriers will fall from the top of the screen in a random pattern and you must avoid them by circling around them. Every barrier you pass will score you a point. The game will slowly get faster up to it's maximum speed after you've passed 20 barriers.

You can press down on the joystick to move the barriers down the screen faster. That's useful if you've got yourself positioned correctly and just want to quickly bypass the barrier. You are also armed with 6 bombs per game (indicated on the status bar) which will erase an barrier on the screen. That's useful if it looks like you're not going to be able to easily pass it. Your high score will be saved on the title screen.

I cut and paste a few items on the in-game screenshot so you can see the missile path for the diamonds. In the actual game those flicker. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome, I wrote this one pretty quickly.

Edits:

v3 fixes: It looks like I didn't reset the level properly on a game restart, so the speed would still be higher when you start a new game. Also fixed issue related to barriers disappearing at the bottom.

v5 fixes: The diamond pattern wasn't lined up properly at the top, I fixed that along with increasing the size of the missiles/dots that make up the pattern. I also made a minor change to the title screen.

v12 changes: Modified title screen graphics, added high/low speed option (push up or down on the joystick to select), fixed bug with missile dot appearing on game over screen, adjusted random block generator a bit to avoid the single narrow block as an option. I'm out of ROM space, this is the final update unless a bug is found.

v14 changes: The default size of the diamonds was reduced to make it a little easier to line up the diamonds with the openings in the barriers. You can set the left difficulty switch to 'A' to use to the larger diamonds from the previous versions, 'B' sets them to the smaller size. The rotation speed of the diamonds was reduced a little bit at the highest speed level. The high rotation speed combined with the larger diamonds made some barriers a little too difficult to pass. I added an audio routine for when you use a bomb, you'll hear a brief explosion sound.

Note: If you want to compile v14, you'll need the custom include files in the zip file attachment. They were modified in order to give me enough space for the last few changes in v14.

Diamond_Drop.bas

Diamond_Drop.bin

Diamond_Drop3.bas

Diamond_Drop3.bin

Diamond_Drop5.bas

Diamond_Drop5.bin

post-2143-0-08771400-1426382960_thumb.png

post-2143-0-68182500-1426532639_thumb.png

Diamond_Drop12.bin

Diamond_Drop12.bas

Diamond_Drop14.bas

Diamond_Drop_Includes.zip

Diamond_Drop14.bin

• Like 9

What a fun and challenging game, I absolutely love it. Great concept for a game. I've never heard of duet, but this is great. Thanks

Thanks!

Another minor bug fix. The diamond pattern wasn't lined up properly at the top. I also increased the size of the dots for the diamond path, I think it looks a bit better. Update in the first post.

• Like 1

Great job, AM! This game fits the capabilities of the 2600 like a glove.

I could kick myself every time I die with bomb in my inventory, but that only makes me want to play more. :P

Thanks! I was kicking myself for having one bomb left on my still yet personally unbeaten high score of 41. There's one particular barrier that's really hard to get past (especially on the highest speed) and I try to save the bombs for that.

• Like 1

I just posted what is likely the final update in the first post of this thread. I'm out of ROM space if I keep it at 4k, which is what I wanted to do. I modified the title screen graphics, I added a high or low speed option (It's an on-screen option selectable by pressing up or down prior to starting the game), I fixed a bug with a missile dot appearing on the game over screen, and I fixed the issue of a very narrow block coming down the screen as a barrier option - I didn't like that. The high speed option starts you on level 21, which is when the regular game (low speed option) reaches it's highest speed.

post-2143-0-16524300-1426533001_thumb.png

• Like 3

There were a few things that were bugging me about the game that I wanted to improve on, so I took a bit of time to modify the bB standard asm include files to free up enough space and keep this game at 4k. I really am out of space now. There's no more room for additional changes. I'm including the last version (v14) along with the modified include files in the first post of this thread.

Changes:

The default size of the diamonds was reduced to make it a little easier to line up the diamonds with the openings in the barriers. You can set the left difficulty switch to 'A' to use to the larger diamonds from the previous versions, 'B' sets them to the smaller size.

The rotation speed of the diamonds was reduced a little bit at the highest speed level. The high rotation speed combined with the larger diamonds made some barriers a little too difficult to pass.

I added an audio routine for when you use a bomb, you'll hear a brief explosion sound.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

We'll be featuring Diamond Drop LIVE on this Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Championship Golf (2019 WIP) by Edward Smith aka easmith
- EggVenture 2600 (2011 WIP) by Jurell Silks aka ScumSoft
- Bifröst (2019 Update) by David Weavil aka s0c7
- Diamond Drop (2015 WIP) by by Steve Engelhardt aka Atarius Maximus

1035589231_20190710-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.c8cf626f801de2e25e24d599ab5554f4.jpg

• Like 1