IGNORED

Does the Atari 130XE have a Desktop Screen???

A2600

Yes it does...

However, unlike the ST's which have such a desktop built right into their OS, the XE's use external software to layer over DOS, much like the original Windows 3.0 did...

There are many available, the earliests were TCS GOE and Reevesoft Diamond GOS, GOE was a Gr. 0 system and had shown a very limited Gr. 8 demo but was never released in its full version and unfortunately David Sullivan, the programmer never finished it. Alan Reeve released Diamond on disk and later on Supercart and released Diamond, Write, Paint, Develop and was working on Publish (a Diamond version of his famous Newsroom publishing software)

Later on down the road such releases as SAM (Screen Aided Manager) and BOSS came out, Tom Hunt also did ATOS. BOSS XE is one of the more frequently updated desktop packages and has the nicest look out of the bunch. I don't have the URL, but a google search for it will reveal it to you quickly I'm certain. Oh, also there was a terminal program: Oasis in cartridge form that had Gr. 0 drop down menu's.

All of the above worked with joysticks, ST mouse and trakballs...

Curt

Yup... you'll need either an Atari disk drive or you can get an SIO2PC interface (sold here in the AA Store or over at sunmark.com) and hook it up to your PC and you can d/l the files and then boot from the SIO2PC connection.

If you are REALLY lucky and can find one and find one under $100+ you can get a Diamond GOS Supercart, but in order to make it useful, you'll still need a disk drive or SIO2PC connection.

Curt

A windowing system isn't that practical on a 320x200 display.

And a windowing system that doesn't implement any form of even task switching (like Diamond GOS) isn't that useful either beyond a file manager.

I think the Atari needs an OS replacement and an extended memory manager more than a GUI layer.

I'm VERY interested to see what becomes of the Atari port of Contiki. Contiki supports everything you'd need on an advanced 6502 OS other than extended memory management.

Curt, what's the status on the ethernet cart for Atari? Gonna happen? Can it be a passthrough?

A windowing system isn't that practical on a 320x200 display.

And a windowing system that doesn't implement any form of even task switching (like Diamond GOS) isn't that useful either beyond a file manager.

I think the Atari needs an OS replacement and an extended memory manager more than a GUI layer.

I'm VERY interested to see what becomes of the Atari port of Contiki.  Contiki supports everything you'd need on an advanced 6502 OS other than extended memory management.

Curt, what's the status on the ethernet cart for Atari?  Gonna happen?  Can it be a passthrough?

ATOS supports task switching and the high-res 320x200 graphics work fine and actually look kind of like a Macintosh or ST, just a sort of "junior." Much better by far that the classic GEOS for the C64 or Diamond GOS. BUT, it's a 16meg operating system so requires a harddrive to operate from either connected to the ATARI or using the PC's with A.P.E&SIO2PC cable. Also, A.P.E has the enhanced WARP+ OS which is fantastic and the mod allows swithching between ALL ATARI OS's 800-XE-WARP if you want, the combination of APE/SIO2PC, ATOS and WARP OS is fantasic, works wonderfully, has TONS of killer Apps, and is 99.9% compatible with all Atari software as far as running a game on non-ATOS app and then returning to the ATOS desktop like one does with Mac,ST, Amiga or PC's. It also works great without the WARP OS too.