IGNORED

Multi-Layer Sprites, where to go for info?

jdgabbard

Sweet. I have a XB cart, and the Nano, so I guess I'm set as far as actual hardware. However, I'd probably use it on the PC with C99 to be honest. Mostly because I can copy and paste large portions of code from a text document into the terminal. But I'll take a look at it this afternoon.

Another good resource for sprite programming is Craig Miller’s Smart Programming for Sprites available here.

[Edit: It’s also available on this forum in the pinned TI-99/4A development resources thread; but, the Archive.org PDF is much clearer and searchable (@retroclouds, perhaps you could replace the one in the Development Resources thread).]

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart

mentioned`rotating sprites. I need two sets of 5 sprites on the screen simultaneously. I take it this can only be done in assembler. would something like C99 or compiled XB might be too slow?

You can define 28 sprites in XB and have them all on the screen at once. You just will not see more than the 4 lowest-numbered sprites on any given line. Moving a lot of sprites around the screen will result in sprites blinking off when they are the 5th and higher-numbered sprites on one line and back on when they are not.

...lee

c99 is definitely fast enough for rotating sprites... Compiled XB might be, but I think it'd be fairly inefficient. The best approach for either case would be to write a little assembly language routine called from the user interrupt hook to do the rotation for you, as it needs to happen every frame to work.