Photo

MIDI Software for Atari XE

7 replies to this topic

#1 bbking67 OFFLINE  

bbking67

Moonsweeper

• 498 posts

Posted Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:38 PM

Some time well after the Atari ST came out, I remember going to my local music store (Steve's Music in Ottawa Canada).  At that time they expanded the shop to include a fairly large keyboard section where they retailed various MIDI synthesizers... probably FM synthesis and early point sampling keyboards.  Lots of Roland gear.  I was a guitar player and I wasn't that interested in electronic music (tube amp guy)

Well they started selling Atari ST's.. no big surprise.  

Now eventually they expanded the computers being sold to include some MSX computers (and MSX computers were pretty uncommon in Canada) and then, to my surprise, I saw a 65XE setup with a MIDI interface and some kind of software.  I'm guessing sequencing software.  I'm assuming Atari Canada convinced the Steve's chain tio take on some low cost machines well after their prime... maybe they were even thrown in with a quantity of 1040ST's or whatever.

I've heard about MIDI-Mate interfaces (maybe there were others?), but what kind of software was available for musicians for the Atari 8-bit?

Anybody on here use an XE for music?

#2 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,144 posts

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:50 PM

MidiTrack III is in the Holmes Archive here: http://www.ftp.pigwa...i Track III.atr

You need a MIDI interface, and especially, a manual.  It uses a special format disk, not readable by DOS.

Please post back if you have any success.  I am also trying to get this to work.

#3 charliecron OFFLINE  

charliecron

Moonsweeper

• 412 posts

Posted Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:36 AM

There is the Wizztronics MidiMax MIDI interface. I have one of those.. It came with MIDI software written by Lee Actor who also wrote AMS. It also came with a utility to convert AMS songs to MMS format (Midi Music System, not standard MIDI files) so you could hear them on your synth.

I used the Midimax with a Roland MT-32 synth and just played around a little converting AMS songs..

#4 CharlieChaplin OFFLINE  

CharlieChaplin

River Patroller

• 2,585 posts

Posted Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:30 PM

Well,

take a look at the A8FAQ: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq

especially subject 6.1.4 "What MIDI interfaces are there for the Atari?". This subject mentions hardware, as well as software...

#5 mechanerd OFFLINE  

mechanerd

Space Invader

• 48 posts

Posted Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:25 PM

There was also the MIDIMATE SIO device that had a DIN5 for a MIDI connection to synths, and two 1/8" jacks for sync in and out.
I happen to have one in my hand.
I also have the MIDI MUSIC SYSTEM 1.0 disk imaged into .atr format.  I need to scan the manual and add it to the collection.

#6 mechanerd OFFLINE  

mechanerd

Space Invader

• 48 posts

Posted Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 AM

Well,

take a look at the A8FAQ: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq

especially subject 6.1.4 "What MIDI interfaces are there for the Atari?". This subject mentions hardware, as well as software...

I also scavenged from the original disk of the MIDI MUSIC player that would play .MUS files to a MIDI device. It even runs on Altirra once you add the fictional MIDI MATE to the emulator options. Ir was a hybrid boot disk with assembler so it's not a standalone executable file.

#7 mechanerd OFFLINE  

mechanerd

Space Invader

• 48 posts

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:40 PM

Attached is MIDI Music System 1.0 disk Image..I think i found the source code from when Mike Calvin debugged it.

Just load mms from the dos prompt.

Attached Files

Edited by mechanerd, Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:41 PM.

#8 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 8,615 posts

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:47 PM

I used to own the Hybrid Arts Miditrack III system, it had really good software and supported 128k. Hyrbrid Arts was *the* Atari ST midi software providor too. There were also Miditrack 1 and 2 for 48/64k Atari's.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users