I've only got the following Sega Saturn games:

Bug!

Shangai: Triple Threat

Clockwork Knight

Gex

Myst

Magic Carpet

Johnny Bazookatone

WipeOut (Going to switch to the PS1 version probably)

Nights Into Dreams

Sonic 3D Blast

Bust-A-Move 2: Arcade Edition

Quake

Anyone know of any good Saturn games that are really cheap? I'd like to bulk it up a bit with this system, but many of the games are pretty expensive, and anywhere I've seen Saturn games available, it's just cheap sport games. As far as I know, the Saturn was known for its 2D games and ports of DOS/3D0 games (Which the PS1 also did) and some of the Saturn/PS1 ports I have on the PS1 as well.

Holy crap, the price of a decent saturn game seems to have increased over the last few years.

Manx TT and Last Bronx seem to still be mostly affordable (though not where they used to be, for sure)

If you've still got a CRT, Virtua Cop 2 seems to be a bit undervalued, actually. Awesome game.

My gut recommendations of Dark Savior and Darius Gaiden, which used to be some of the cheapest on the system, are now a little pricey.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Holy crap, the price of a decent saturn game seems to have increased over the last few years.

Manx TT and Last Bronx seem to still be mostly affordable (though not where they used to be, for sure)

If you've still got a CRT, Virtua Cop 2 seems to be a bit undervalued, actually. Awesome game.

My gut recommendations of Dark Savior and Darius Gaiden, which used to be some of the cheapest on the system, are now a little pricey.

Oh I run my Saturn on a Insignia CRT. Never putting it on a big fancy LCD flatscreen, not gonna happen. I remember putting Ocarina of Time on my N64 which was on a giant flatscreen, and it was blocky - and one day my mom said it didn't look very good on the TV. I've seen Virtua Cop 2 for not much, but I need a light gun for that, don't I?

Since when was Darius Gaiden cheap? When I got my Saturn that game was maybe 40 dollars and it still is.

The Sega Saturn is a totally underrated system for its time! There are a lot of great games for it, and if you are serious about it, then I would suggest giving any bargain priced game a try! I am not sure how the prices are, but Sega Rally, Three Dirty Dwarves, and Courier Crisis are pretty fun games too.

Then, if you are the collector like I am, you may want to even delve into the Japanese importing scene too. That is where the Saturn really shined !!!

• Like 1

Since when was Darius Gaiden cheap? When I got my Saturn that game was maybe 40 dollars and it still is.

I did most of my Saturn collecting in '99 and '00, and it was the least expensive shmup by quite a lot. $5-10 was the going rate, IIRC--while a lot of more exotic shmups were already heading for the stratosphere. Seems like it is indeed in the $40 range now...which it isn't worth, in terms of how it plays. Actually the $40 range will get some good Neo (effing) Geo shmups--which is really why I'm surprised to see cruddy old darius gaiden on saturn pulling those prices.

Has the world gone upside down? I guess I shouldn't complain--I just found out the saturn shelf in my closet has transmuted into gold somehow.

But yeah, do get virtua cop 2. It's cheaper than I expected to see it at $15 or so. I don't think it *requires* a light gun, but you'll want one. It's got some neat branching paths compared to the first, and much better graphics. The car chase in level one is worth $15 by itself.

If you decide to spend 'big money' ($50-75) on one game, I recommend the castlevania japanese import. It's SOTN, but the japanese text renders alucard mostly unplayable. However richter and maria are playable from the beginning and take *very* different paths through the castle. Maria is a special joy to play, as she can one-hit some of the early bosses--a very different experience than anything in the ps1 version.

Edited by Reaperman

I was collecting Saturn games from 1997 to 1999, back when I actively used the system. Prices were, heh, considerably lower than they are now. (I'm calling it now... Playstation Vita games are going to experience a similar price surge in just a few years. Just watch!)

I believe Street Fighter Alpha 2 is reasonably priced, and it's the best home version of the game you're gonna find from that time period.

Sonic R is worth getting, just to see the amazing graphics. Really pushed the system hardware.

Ten Pin Alley is a fun game, even if you're not a bowler. Loaded with cool easter eggs. Much better than PSX version, AFAIK.

Bug Too! Great, really creative platformer. MUCH better game than the first. Great graphics, music, sound effects. Top notch!

Scorcher. Amazing graphics, fun racer.

Virtua On! Killer port of a awesome arcade game. Giant fighting robots, nuff said.

NHL 98, really slick hockey game. Late release.

Winter Heat - IIRC, like the Winter Games version of Decathalete.

Steep Slope Sliders - THE best skiing/snowboarding game on any system ever. Loaded with cool easter eggs.

Decathalete - HIGH resolution, arcade graphics. FUN, simple, easy to grasp controls and events. Like classic Activision Decathalon but with great 32 bit graphics.

Fighting Vipers - fighting game with personality, hot chicks.

House of the Dead - probably the only light gun game I ever enjoyed playing, other than Gunblade NY.

Mass Destruction - 60 fps, silky smooth arcade-like fun. Drive around a tank with flamethrowers, destroy everything in sight.

Tomb Raider

Croc - looked good, heard good things about it.

There are a bunch of great, cheap, common domestic games for the Saturn. Despite what the online fanboys insist, you don't really need to seek out expensive imports* to find tons of great stuff to play.

*unless you really need to play Japanese schoolgirl RPG's.

• Like 1

There are a bunch of great, cheap, common domestic games for the Saturn. Despite what the online fanboys insist, you don't really need to seek out expensive imports* to find tons of great stuff to play.

*unless you really need to play Japanese schoolgirl RPG's.

In fairness, some of the import versions of Saturn games are cheaper than domestic and all you need is a cheap action replay to play them on a US Saturn. But you are right, there are plenty of cheap, good US games.

Not really a cheap game but I am trading a local collector in a few hrs for "In The Hunt"

Looks pretty sweet.

There is a slight bug with the Saturn version , as I recall. If the game has problems loading up for you, unplug the controller and turn on the system until you get to START screen, then plug it in. There is a thread about this on AA. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/19779-saturn-problem-with-in-the-hunt/

Been years since i had my Saturn, picked mine up 2nd hand and games really were cheap back then, think most i paid was £10 for a game, i passed on both Deep Fear and P.D.S when i was offered them each for £75 as i thought i'd wait till they dropped in price (oh boy....).

But i loved likes of:
The Horde, Amok, Mass Destruction , Gun Griff., Die Hard Arcade and quite took to Shinobi X although press seemed to hate it.