IGNORED

Indus GT - question

Hi

recently bought an Indus GT - with a declared "G5" error.

however, the actual fault seems slightly different.

it'll always do its first seek/load direct from power up, then just fails to do anything with any follow up requests.

ie will boot to dos, but then a Directory List request results in nothing happening

same with menu disks - can boot to menu, then selecting either "format/copy/create menu" etc - results in NO activity

on opening up the casing it's clear that the drive mechanism does not do anything after the initial activity

any help at all would be appreciated, or directions to someone (preferably Uk-based) who can repair, or advise (for a fee) on how to repair.

thanks

Edited by Guest

hi

the problem is any "second" instructions.

ie - it'll power up any disk, dos/multiboot or other

the problem then occurs/manifests itself when you then make a menu selection after boot up

it just times out

when using Dos the error msg is : error 138

when using anything else - it just does nothing

does anyone know of any help files/movie clips that walkthru servicing these drives?

Edited by Guest

A weird one. What if you power on the drive but don't boot up the computer until the drive has stopped it's initial seek etc?

Loading Dos isn't a single operation, it's multiple status and read commands. The only thing in common you seem to have going is that everything's OK so long as the drive motor runs, but once it spins down it doesn't want to go again.

How about load Dos then power the drive off/on again? In that case stuff like listing directory should work. Or maybe load a menu Dos like 2.x and quickly try commands before the drive spins down.

that's what i found - selecting "A - list directory" before the activity has ceased means it will list the drive contents. however if i wait until the disk has spun down, it doesn't restart.

Huh... If you're interested, a Minipro TL866CS (like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-speed-TL866CS-USB-Universal-Programmer-EPROM-FLASH-AVR-TL866-Programm-/190884393222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c7198b106 ) is pretty cheap and programs quite a few devices..

At the same time, yes I do believe that the Indus drive had room for a 28 pin socket, but came with a 24 pin. If the OP is up for some soldering work, that may be an option...

Edited by MrMartian
  • Like 2

update:

all fine now (don't know how long for)

but - on a hunch - i switched the Power Supply for another that i had:

a Maplin DC 12v 1.5A switched mode power supply

now have this formatting, writing dos files and booting fine

thanks for the help fellas

is there a "serial number" thread for these?

Not sure how big the Indus OS is. Anyone?

Indus stock and upgrade are 4K 24 pin ROMs. Gotta be careful about substituting a ROM with an EPROM in the 1050. You will have jumpers one and three closed and jumpers 2 and 4 open for a ROM chip; Jumpers 2 and 4 closed and 1-3 open if an EPROM is present. If you switch the ROM with an EPROM and don't set the jumpers, you drive will appear dead. While you are inside the Indus drive, press firmly on all socketed chips in case one needs to be reseated. Good luck.

Indus stock and upgrade are 4K 24 pin ROMs. Gotta be careful about substituting a ROM with an EPROM in the 1050. You will have jumpers one and three closed and jumpers 2 and 4 open for a ROM chip; Jumpers 2 and 4 closed and 1-3 open if an EPROM is present. If you switch the ROM with an EPROM and don't set the jumpers, you drive will appear dead. While you are inside the Indus drive, press firmly on all socketed chips in case one needs to be reseated. Good luck.

Belay the above. The 1050 have ROM/EPROM jumpers, not the Indus (that I am aware of).