IGNORED

Pixels - New Film

snicklin

Any more Atari characters in there besides Pac-Man and Donkey Kong?

(neither one of which is an Atari character) ;)

Galaga, Centipede, Breakout/Arkanoid were all prominently featured in the trailer, and probably every other 8-bit SHMUP they can throw in there...

I like the Voxel aesthetic too.

Can't pronounce or spell his name but is that the real creator of Pacman doing a movie cameo, or an oldish Japanese actor?

Edited by stardust4ever

Any more Atari characters in there besides Pac-Man and Donkey Kong?

(neither one of which is an Atari character) ;)

Yeah. :-)

Well, Pong takes out a bridge. Though, not exactly a game "character".

The Atari logo appears about 1:18 on a building.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Like many I'll watch it and mentally shut out the Sandler moron, thankfully there's enough retro goodness in it to allow for the unfunny twot to be on screen and me not give a damn :)

Dink with a huge mullet is humour enough for me :)

The new trailer with Donkey Kong is very nice and has 'Smurficide'...Yay!!!!

Edited by Mclaneinc

• 4 weeks later...

I'll watch the film and judge it on itself, rather than any of the actors in it. If I like it, I do, if I don't then so be it.

However I *despise* all this hyping of films that they do (and American films are the worst for this), as though every film is about to be greater than ET (nothing beats ET by the way).

"We recreate almost every video game character from the 80's", was said near the end.

So have they got the bloke from "Daylight Robbery".... or perhaps the jumping Ninja from "Ninja Commando"?

How about all the players in "League Challenge"? What about "Jocky Wilson" from his darts games?

Precisely... an empty comment.

[p.s. Yes, I realise that ET was an American film, but it was damn great! ]

Edited by snicklin

I'm just wondering: does that statement come from some kind of assumption that American films usually are not very good, or that acknowledging any that are is somehow wrong in some way?

I'm wondering, because it seems to me that when it comes to movies, Hollywood is out ahead of anyone else by a landslide.

I'm just wondering: does that statement come from some kind of assumption that American films usually are not very good, or that acknowledging any that are is somehow wrong in some way?

I'm wondering, because it seems to me that when it comes to movies, Hollywood is out ahead of anyone else by a landslide.

May I remind you that Star Wars is being made HERE in the UK (just down the road from me), best technicians around :)

Hollywood and the US do very good films but sometimes they have a tendency to go all GO USA and change plots to make it more American, American Sniper suffers from the Ma's Apple pie, true red white and blue when it was not actually the case, it leaves out all sorts of things.

But in general the US makes damn fine films and of course, damn fine video games :)

and the video game was out of this world!

ouch

More UNDER this world (until of late)

Personally not the worst video game ever made tho but pretty awful..

In general, I prefer films that reflect my own culture which I find that American films don't do for me. If you met me, you'd realise I'm also an understated person and so also like quite understated films. Hollywood films are generally anything but that.

I'm not knocking them, they are there primarily for the American audience and secondly if they can make a bit of extra money from the rest of the world, then great.

E.T. was an exception for me, and there are a few exceptions.

But in general the US makes damn fine films and of course, damn fine video games :)

Nobody makes better video games than the Japanese. Compare Namco's Pacman, Galaga, and Nintendo's Donkey Kong to Atari's PONG, Space Invaders, and Missile Command. I love Atari too, but there's no comparison. Well, Centipede is pretty kickass! ;) Edited by stardust4ever

Nobody makes better video games than the Japanese. Compare Namco's Pacman, Galaga, and Nintendo's Donkey Kong to Atari's PONG, Space Invaders, and Missile Command. I love Atari too, but there's no comparison. Well, Centipede is pretty kickass! ;)

Sorry - Space Invaders was Japanese too!

Nobody makes better video games than the Japanese. Compare Namco's Pacman, Galaga, and Nintendo's Donkey Kong to Atari's PONG, Space Invaders, and Missile Command. I love Atari too, but there's no comparison. Well, Centipede is pretty kickass! ;)

Japan has made plenty of terrible video games. You just don't know about them because they're terrible, so they never got exported.

Also shaking my head at you thinking Space Invaders was a) an Atari game, and b) not insanely successful. You do realize that Galaga was the sequel to the sequel to Space Invaders, yes? Pretty daft to try to compare them as equals.

I take it all in humour!

I quite like gritty but realistic films, the kind that you can imagine being real. The likes of "Red Road" or "London to Brighton".... not nice films, but those which you can see having happened.

As for the humour, a lot of non-British people associate British humour (sorry Stardust4ever) with Monty Python, but actually, that's quite outrageous humour which most of us don't associate with. "We say that it was funny in the 70s but we've moved on since then.... a long way".

I'm more of a drama person though really.

Back to Pixels, we'll see this as a completely non-realistic film and hopefully we'll enjoy it for what it is, a nostalgic take on retro. I hope it's alright and not too cheesy for our liking.

And to Orpheuswaking: A more apt film name nowadays would be: "More Sex Please, Yes, We are British, But we are in a car park".

In general, I prefer films that reflect my own culture which I find that American films don't do for me. If you met me, you'd realise I'm also an understated person and so also like quite understated films. Hollywood films are generally anything but that.

I'm not knocking them, they are there primarily for the American audience and secondly if they can make a bit of extra money from the rest of the world, then great.

E.T. was an exception for me, and there are a few exceptions.

Hollywood makes all kinds of films: over the top action films, dramas, suspense, romance, mystery, adventure, understated, overstated, side stated, and on and on. Some of the over the top films in my most liked stable, are the James Bond ones, which are British. Most of the worst movies I've ever seen were Hollywood made, but most of the best ones were also Hollywood made. They make so many movies, that if you ignore the ones that don't appeal to you, you still probably have more great ones left than everyone else has made put together. Old Yeller, Finding Nemo, The Terminator, Alien, The Shawshank Redemtion, KPac: Hollywood.

Hollywood makes all kinds of films: over the top action films, dramas, suspense, romance, mystery, adventure, understated, overstated, side stated, and on and on. Some of the over the top films in my most liked stable, are the James Bond ones, which are British. Most of the worst movies I've ever seen were Hollywood made, but most of the best ones were also Hollywood made. They make so many movies, that if you ignore the ones that don't appeal to you, you still probably have more great ones left than everyone else has made put together. Old Yeller, Finding Nemo, The Terminator, Alien, The Shawshank Redemtion, KPac: Hollywood.

It's probably a case that we just don't get to see a lot of the smaller budget and more understated films. I appreciate that they probably don't make as much money and so I guess that often they are not released abroad. If they are, then they pass under the radar. I just wish that the marketing people would be a bit more honest with their reviews as I don't believe any of the hype now, so I ignore a lot of it - perhaps that is why I am not seeing a lot of good films?

And yes, James Bond is over the top, but I'm not a fan of that either. As you can see, I'm somewhat of a film snob/critic... which is strange as I am not a snob in anything else in my life. Lets say that I need an emotional connection for a film to be good. Perhaps that is why ET worked for me? I guess that I can get that easier when it reflects my (or people of my vicinity's) culture in some way.